Old 06-29-2015, 07:23 PM   #21
City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
Bought 2 Deka AGM 8d 245 amps for about $500.00 each including tax. West Marine was selling the same battery (their label) for about $700 ea.

Don on Moonstruck
Sabre 42 Hardtop Express & Blackfin 25 CC
When cruising life is simpler, but on a grander scale (author unknown)
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 08:01 PM   #22
City: Valley Forge, PA
Vessel Name: Stella Maris
Vessel Model: Defever 44
Don, those are the very same batteries I killed last winter (all 4 of them) by not realizing there were parasitic loads still connected, despite the battery switches being off. Expensive lesson.

Brian, that sounds like a great setup. Not a lot of price competition on Odysseys on this side of the pond, it seems. Another factor for me is that going with differently sized batteries could require new boxes, cables and locations for my three banks. Too many choices!

angus99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 05:22 AM   #23
"Bought 2 Deka AGM 8d 245 amps for about $500.00 each including tax. West Marine was selling the same battery (their label) for about $700 ea."

Detroit Diesel and many other truck places will have 8D in wet lead acid for $150 or so with a trade in.

Just a comparison ,,
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 07:03 AM   #24
City: Maryland
Vessel Model: 42' Sportfish
Originally Posted by angus99 View Post
Just spoke with him. What a great guy and depth of knowledge! I have three reservations about flooded lead acid batts: off-gassing, filling/spilling and my ignorance of the equalizing process. After our talk, I'm less concerned and will probably give FLAs a good look. My house bank is in the ER with temps in the low 100s while underway in summer. If high temps shorten battery life anyway, do I want expensive AGMs in there? Maybe it makes sense to buy cheaper to begin with.

Our oldest AGM battery bank is in it's 10th season now, installed in the engine room, heat apparently a non-factor.

(These are 3x Odyssey PC-2150s, Group 31, and sold by Sears as Platinum Plus -- usually for less, usually without bit shipping charges, and sometimes on sale. Not comparable to your 6V target set-up, just mentioning in passing.)

I too want to avoid maintenance (ours not easy to reach and fill), although a battery hydration system might speak to that. (We'd have had to recable everything; our cables block most of the fills.) I too prefer no (less) off-gassing in our engine room.

Not a recommendation, just an observation...

Most AGMs are apparently not equalizable, whereas Lifeline says you can equalize theirs. I didn't notice about the Full River L16s...

South River, Chesapeake Bay
ranger42c is offline   Reply With Quote