Old 12-04-2019, 08:42 AM   #61
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
H
When at anchor, what are your power needs that a battery bank cannot cover for an overnight? A passive diesel stove/heater is not uncommon plus you can ditch that questionable safety alcohol stove.

sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 11:06 AM   #62
Veteran Member

City: Olympia
Vessel Model: Kingfisher 3125GFX
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunchaser View Post
H
When at anchor, what are your power needs that a battery bank cannot cover for an overnight? A passive diesel stove/heater is not uncommon plus you can ditch that questionable safety alcohol stove.
Wed like to be able to anchor out for several days at a time. If the weather is cool we would be running the diesel heater (which has a blower) a bit. The refrigerator would be the other big draw, then charging up cell phones, and LED lighting.

The alcohol stove is NOT pressurized. Weve used it a fair amount. Am I missing something on the safety of the thing?

Haloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 12:12 PM   #63
Guru

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haloo View Post
Wed like to be able to anchor out for several days at a time. If the weather is cool we would be running the diesel heater (which has a blower) a bit. The refrigerator would be the other big draw, then charging up cell phones, and LED lighting.

The alcohol stove is NOT pressurized. Weve used it a fair amount. Am I missing something on the safety of the thing?
You are. I have seen (up close) two vessels burn to the waterline, the ignition caused in each case by an alcohol galley stove. The most serious problem is that the flame is hard and sometimes impossible to see, so accidents happen. Though my own Dad used alcohol safely for decades, I won't have it on my boat.

If your diesel heater is an old Espar, which I have had, it will use too much power. If you get a passive diesel heater, like a Dickinson or Fab-All you eliminate almost all of the 12 v useage.

If you had a pair of 160w solar panels you would have plenty for both your Espar and your fridge. I installed solar last spring and haven't had to plug in while the fridge is on, since. I also ran a freezer for our 5 weeks away from shore power, so equal consumption to 2 fridges. Even in overcast and rainy weather (this past July in Desolation Sound, for example) there was plenty of Solar for all of our power needs. We don't yet have any LED lighting, so you are well ahead of us there.

Agreed, wind is an east coast or trade winds answer, not for where you want to go.
Old 12-05-2019, 06:51 AM   #64
FF
Guru

"The alcohol stove is NOT pressurized. We’ve used it a fair amount. Am I missing something on the safety of the thing?"

No, only the speed with which it works. The old dangerous alcohol stoves use a large pressurized tank (5-10 gallons).This was so the burner could be large enough to operate faster.

The lighting drill was to allow the priming cup to fill, light the priming cup, and then light the heated burner .

Folks were told in a flair up water could be used to put out the fire.

NOPE it simply spread out the fire.

FF is offline   Reply With Quote