Old 01-25-2017, 07:51 AM   #1
Guru

Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37
Forward scan sonar sensor for trawlers place where the keel

Forward scan sonar sensor for trawlers place where the keel.

if you installed one, where is located?

I was thinking to acquire such, but I wonder the location of the sensor, a long keel damage to the scan angle in the lateral direction and the bow is a deep v. how have you solved the problem? If you have a photograph or free-hand drawing of principle, I would be grateful.

If you experience any of the forward scan sonar device would like to hear the good, the bad and the ugly story.

The idea may need forward scan sonar it at a slow speed to avoid driving in stone, as i drive in a foreign place here in rocky waters.
North Baltic sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 12:33 PM   #2
Guru

City: Juneau Alaska
Vessel Name: Arctic Traveller
Vessel Model: Defever 49 RPH
We have an Interphase forward looking sonar. No bad, all good. With the deep forefoot of our Defever though, it can't see fully to the Port side. The transducer is located about 7 feet back from the bow, and when operating in the mode where the beam scans from the surface to the bottom it easily shows the water depth out in front. It's a great tool.......
Old 01-29-2017, 12:53 PM   #3

City: Northern Ontario
Vessel Name: Chickadee
Vessel Model: Pilgrim 40
I have been considering using a small waterproof video camera, just under the surface at the bow, for the same purpose.
With a screen at the helm position, it could prove invaluable for conning tricky passages at low speed.
SlowGypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 01:38 PM   #4
Guru

City: Juneau Alaska
Vessel Name: Arctic Traveller
Vessel Model: Defever 49 RPH
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowGypsy View Post
I have been considering using a small waterproof video camera, just under the surface at the bow, for the same purpose.With a screen at the helm position, it could prove invaluable for conning tricky passages at low speed.
I have experience doing just that on small cruise ships. The video was fed to all the TV's on the ship. My experience is that water clarity is a huge variable in how usefull the camera is. Since the cameras were installed in housings welded to the boat, they were not removable for cleaning and required someone in a small boat to clean the lens regularly, along with polishing at haul out time. When the water was clear and speeds low, all types of creatures came into view, including porpose's playing in the bow wake. As a navigation tool, I"m unsure how usefull it would be with a limited range of view but in really clear water it might be fine if you could judge distance accurately. A forward looking sonar would be far superior, but much more expensive.
Old 01-29-2017, 02:57 PM   #5
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Each sounder has their own instructions. Also depends on one or two transmitters. However, what seems universal is to mount them forward of all other thru hulls and as far forward as you can and they remain level when you're running. So typically that may be anywhere from 20% to 40% back of the bow.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 01:52 PM   #6
Guru

City: st pete
Vessel Model: 430 Mainship
Im surprised that more folks don't have some form of forward facing sonar. That would be high on my list of things to have, especially with Garmin and Simrad's low cost units.
Old 01-30-2017, 02:11 PM   #7
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seevee View Post
Im surprised that more folks don't have some form of forward facing sonar. That would be high on my list of things to have, especially with Garmin and Simrad's low cost units.
I will say this too. We've used other forward facing sonar for 3-4 years and we were very pleasantly surprised by the Garmin. It fulfilled our needs on the loop very well. It's something that only benefits you on rare occasions but when it does, it's worth it's weight in gold.
Old 01-31-2017, 07:57 AM   #8
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
I will say this too. We've used other forward facing sonar for 3-4 years and we were very pleasantly surprised by the Garmin. It fulfilled our needs on the loop very well. It's something that only benefits you on rare occasions but when it does, it's worth it's weight in gold.
Band,

Assume you have the PS51-TH? Where did you install it on the boat? As for performance, any major limitations? And how fast can you go and still get good readings? Bow rise an issue?

Did you consider the Simrad unit also?

Thanks! It's been hard to find folks that have these units and I love to hear from the end users.
Old 01-31-2017, 08:47 AM   #9
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
Quote:
Band,

Assume you have the PS51-TH? Where did you install it on the boat? As for performance, any major limitations? And how fast can you go and still get good readings? Bow rise an issue?

Thanks! It's been hard to find folks that have these units and I love to hear from the end users.
They don't see very far forward. So they are only useful at slow speeds.
Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 08:50 AM   #10
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowGypsy View Post
I have been considering using a small waterproof video camera, just under the surface at the bow, for the same purpose.
With a screen at the helm position, it could prove invaluable for conning tricky passages at low speed.
Personally I can't see where a camera would be of any use unless the water was exceptionally clear on a bright day.

Even then I'm not sure how far forward you would clearly see.
Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 09:29 AM   #11
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.Bill11 View Post
They don't see very far forward. So they are only useful at slow speeds.
Agreed, but would like to know the speed range. But, in waters that are unknown, I'd agree that one would want to be slow enough to avoid bumping something.
Old 01-31-2017, 09:36 AM   #12
Guru

Quote:
Band,

No, we didn't consider the Simrad as we purchased the boat with complete Garmin package.

It's really not for use at anything but slow speeds. We're not going to run30 knots and try to read a Garmin forward sonar. It was factory installed but to give perspective on where it is, it is about the entrance to the bow cabin. The range of the Garmin is about 300'. By comparison, Far Sounder has range up to 1/2 mile. Echopilot is about 600'. All are impacted by depth too. For instance, Simrad's range is 5 to 8 times depth. So, in 10' of water your forward range would only be 50 to 80 feet.

On the Garmin our use has been to slow down and carefully check areas we questioned, to get a feel for what is there. Helpful at marinas when you're not certain of the depth where you've been told to tie, or at an anchorage that has borderline depth and a very narrow entrance. You get a warning from someone that the channel ahead is far to the starboard side, has really shifted and is very narrow but if you go outside the channel it drops rapidly. Good time to go very slow and see exactly where the channel is.
Old 02-01-2017, 06:32 PM   #13
Guru

Great info, BandB...thx
Old 02-02-2017, 08:21 AM   #14
Guru

I ordered today Echopilot foward sonar platinum, now just wait for it to arrive. it is really difficult to think of the sensor position, it would be the best because Nordig tug hull shape tricky mind foward sonar.

EchoPilot Forward Sonar - EchoPilot Platinum Engine

I will use my monitor Raymarin C120 plotter

all the experiences from the sensor welcome, and thank you for responding to..

Old 02-02-2017, 08:26 AM   #15
Guru

Forward-looking sonar: 5 units tested - Practical Boat Owner

For those interested in a small test look forward sonars, if anyone knows of other tests put the link, thank you.
Old 02-02-2017, 12:24 PM   #16
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Baltic sea View Post
Forward-looking sonar: 5 units tested - Practical Boat Owner

For those interested in a small test look forward sonars, if anyone knows of other tests put the link, thank you.
Very suspicious tests. Three Echopilots vs. a B&G and a Garmin? And the person quoted was the Echopilot employee? Sounds way too much like Echopilot running the show.

That said, Echopilot does have more range than Garmin and does make some superior scanners. The FLS 3D is even a better Echopilot but at six times the price. Then at ten times the price of an Echopilot, there's Farsounder with far more range.

So, I do agree with the conclusions of the tests, just still think they were a bit biased.

The issue I see with sonars is that those like Garmin, Furuno, and Simrad, all really evolved from fishing needs. The Echopilot was developed for boating. From the outset, it's development was aimed toward depth and bottoms, not detecting fish and toward seeing further forward. It reflects that and, therefore, in my opinion, is superior to the others.

On the other hand, Far Sounder was developed for commercial users and passenger vessels with a few megayachts thrown in. It was also developed for security purposes and they even have a contract with Homeland Security. They weren't facing the price constraints of the other. So, their product is definitely superior but not a product for most recreational vessels.

I've used all three Farsounder, Echopilot, and Garmin. Far Sounder best and by far most expensive. Echopilot 3D second but several times the price of other Echopilots. Other Echopilot models still probably slightly ahead of Garmin, Furuno, and Simrad. However, we find Garmin to do an excellent job of what we need it for and on a boat with all other Garmin equipment we're very pleased with the choice and the integration.
Old 02-02-2017, 11:19 PM   #17
Guru

of course, all of the rewievs, ads, and even if the tests TF forum writings must be able to read the interpretation.

This test does not affected by their selection for the machine to. the most important influence in my choise were collected from various forums Information, as well as price.

I have all the navigation equipment Raymarin and only Echopilot paltinium support the old system. If I had purchased a Garmin, I would have to buy a new addition to the sensor, a new plotter, a new electronic map, a new radar, new autopilot system, the new anemometer etc ... quite expensive for me to swear in the name of Garmin. If I was buying a whole new system, Garmin could have been when the winner for me

I think the most interesting sonar can be found Huminbird 360 °, unfortunately, they do not suitable sensors on my boat. I is very cool see under water 360° live foto pictures.

I have been quite the same character which the device is, I only hope it will help me to prevent the grounding. Just a few knot speed, the three call waiting and unpleasant lesions deep in the fiber. We have a pretty cloudy water here and more rocks as you can see in big nightmare ...

Old 02-09-2017, 09:09 AM   #18
Guru

I received a response from the manufacturer of the sensor tip and how to make a bed that has been found to work Echopilot sensor.

An interesting description of the device in use Echopilot.
EchoPilot Platinum FLS, Better Than Expected (BLOG) | | PassageMaker

Installation model
Click image for larger version

Name:	new 3D tran pic.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	57.9 KB
ID:	61421
Old 04-11-2017, 07:44 AM   #19
Guru

Now it is installed and operational. The sensor is 70 cm from the keel to the side. the bow of the sensor 5 meters. everything seems to work well in a logical manner. Only been in use for one weekend trip, and seems to make its promises.

Name:	20170409_140021.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	100.2 KB
ID:	63654

echopilot my Raymarine display

Name:	20170403_174709.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	58.4 KB
ID:	63655

Name:	20170403_174547.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	29.9 KB
ID:	63656

Name:	20170409_110521.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	52.5 KB
ID:	63657

Name:	20170329_123953.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	57.5 KB
ID:	63658
Old 04-12-2017, 07:39 AM   #20
Guru

City: LI or Fla
Very interesting and thanks for sharing all the details, shows the sonar follows along the chart plotter just right!
Marlinmike is offline   Reply With Quote