Forgive the lack of electrical knowledge...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AussieCraig

Vessel Name
The Salty Swallow - named by wife
Vessel Make
Private builder - 50' Trawler
I see a lot of people saying they have 6V golf cart batteries...is there any advantage to using 6V over 12 V? I have access to quite a few good 12V batteries (deep cycle) and was planning on adding a few to the bank already in the boat for a 'buffer' of power...thoughts please ?

Craig:

If the 12 V batteries are cheap or free, go for it. But in my experience many 12 V batteries that are advertised as deep cycle aren't really deep cycle. And if they don't have an amphour rating specification either printed on the case or in the manufacturer's literature, then they are almost certainly not deep cycle.

There is one big advantage to 6 V golf cart batteries- they are always deep cycle. No one would stay in business long offering crappy batteries to the golf cart market. That application puts real stress on a battery- discharging and recharging daily (in a country club environment) and crappy batteries will soon be found out.

Real deep cycle batteries are made with heavier plates and of a somewhat different alloy. 6 V deep cycle batteries also have more liquid level above the plates to minimize running dry.

Unless the 12 V batteries are half the cost or less than real golf cart batteries, I would buy the real thing.

David

In addition to David's observations, with which I agree, there is also the size/weight issue. We replaced four 6 volt batteries a couple of weeks ago. They weighed about 67 lbs each. One 4d battery that would give similar amp hours would weigh double that, about 130 lbs. Much easier to move the 6 volts around.

Craig, alot of folks, including myself, have replaced 2 8D batteries with 6 golf cart batteries for the 50% increased capacity in the same footprint. They're a bit taller than the 8Ds, but fit in the same boxes...3 GC to one 8D.

Craig, alot of folks, including myself, have replaced 2 8D batteries with 6 golf cart batteries for the 50% increased capacity in the same footprint. They're a bit taller than the 8Ds, but fit in the same boxes...3 GC to one 8D.

X2

You will be giving yourself charging headaches stacking 12V batts of different sizes and ages together.

Also when one dies it may wipe out (discharge to zero) the other batts in the string.

If you have an endless supply , no problem except lugging the weifgt out.

There are capacitance battery testers (golf cart repair places) that will test a batt to decide if its worth keeping , about $400, so not in many yachtie tool boxes.

You will be giving yourself charging headaches stacking 12V batts of different sizes and ages together.

Also when one dies it may wipe out (discharge to zero) the other batts in the string.

If you have an endless supply , no problem except lugging the weifgt out.

There are capacitance battery testers (golf cart repair places) that will test a batt to decide if its worth keeping , about $400, so not in many yachtie tool boxes.

Correct! I don't keep one in my tool box either. Now I just go and buy a good battery load tester and return it when I'm finished testing my batteries. Doesn't cost me a nickel :)

Thanks to all for the education !!!

Back
Top Bottom