Old 01-13-2011, 03:29 AM   #1
Guru

Flux gate compass and Sea Talk compass what's the difference

I have a Raymarine RL80CRC Plus radar and chart plotter. The GPS sensor went kaput and Raymarine is replacing it with an updated version at a pretty descent discount.*I noticed that I have a flux gate compass connected to my type 100 course computer and a Sea Talk Compass connected to the NEMA Power Plug side of my RL80CRC display unit.
In talking with a Raymarine tech he said to disconnect the Sea Talk compass, it is unneeded. It's input is ignored anyway as the flux gate compass info takes priority.

My question is why would the PO go to the expense of installing a Sea Talk compass if it's not needed and what's the difference between a Sea Talk compass and a flux gate compass?

Just don't understanding why I need another*direction telling me device when my wife always tells me where to go anyway.*
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 09:45 AM   #2

RE: Flux gate compass and Sea Talk compass what's the difference

Sea Talk is a older communication protocol used by Raymarine, Fluxgate is a compass technology and normally uses NMEA protocol, although it can use Sea Talk. Apples and Oranges.

Bottom Line: Fluxgate Compass on NMEA bus is correct for modern electronics.
rhprop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 09:48 AM   #3

Oh and your Course Computer will only look at one compass, GPS, Etc, but you cal still have multiple units for back-up.
rhprop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 01:20 PM   #4
Guru

So I think you're saying that the Sea Talk compass and the flux gate compass do the same thing but in a different language.*

The current setup has the Sea Talk Compass connected to the NEMA side of the display (RL80CRC), so how can this be if the Sea Talk compass communicates only in the Sea Talk language.

Finally which is better, NEMA OR Sea Talk.

Attached is a schematic of my current setup and the revised setup suggested by the Raymarine tech.
Attached Thumbnails
flyin low electronics schematic.jpg   flyin low electronics schematic new.jpg  
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote