Old 10-12-2014, 01:58 PM   #21
Guru

City: gulf coast
Sine a lot of FL is shallow depth is important. I like the moving scan display of a fish finder because it shows trend, I hate just numbers. The dual frequency types seems better for cutting through stirred up water from boat wakes.

I don't think you can mount a transducer inside on a cored hull.

bayview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 02:05 PM   #22
Guru

City: Joe Wheeler State Park, Al
Vessel Name: Serenity
Vessel Model: Mainship 36 Dual Cabin -1986
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.Bill11 View Post
Does your hull have any dead rise angle to it at the area you mounted the transducer in? If you the beam from the transducer is shooting off at an angle instead of straight down.
Generally, just about anything other than a jon boat or a barge will have some dead rise. That is why you have to pick and chose the most reasonable position usually based on accessability, prop cavitation, water past the hull while moving or planning cavitation. These are all concessions that have to be made when shooting through the hull. The transducer will be slightly at an angle and will be slightly inaccurate - how much? I don't know I never calculated it. I can tell you thid though, It has never beed a problem on any of my sailboats and so I don't expect it to be a problem on my power boat. keep in mind that these inaccuracies bcome greater at greater depths. My concern was never how deep the water is but rather how shallow it is. The shallower the water, the more accurate the transducer will be in regards to actual depth.
Another real concern is that most transducers will not shoot accurately through a fiberglass boat that is more than an inch thick or a hull that is cored. Even if the hull is not cored and is less than an inch thick, I will still probably lose at least 20% of the definition of the fish or the bottom.
If these are concerns, Then a wedged through hull mounting will be required. I personally don't need that type of accuracy or definition because I don't fish.

Old 10-12-2014, 02:11 PM   #23
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
If the angle is to great you have to compensate for it.
Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 02:50 PM   #24
Veteran Member

City: Wherever the boat is
Vessel Model: 48 foot sailing Yacht
I have a Garman 300c on a removable mount on my tender. It just drops over the transom on a home made bracket with a sealed lead acid battery. Great for exploring depths around the anchorage.
This is the cheaper non side scaning unit, but I can report the screen is nice and bright and it has been a great unit.

BTW if you want to test an internal transducer placement just use a sealed plastic bag filled with water (no air). If you put the bag on the hull and the transducer on top (there is no need to put it in the bag) it should work well. If not find a different spot.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	68.8 KB
ID:	33620  
Noelex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 03:42 PM   #25
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
Or you could just hold the transducer up to your ear and listen to hear if it's ticking.
Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 03:54 PM   #26
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. 11. "...up to your ear...". I don't know about THAT one. Could be it would detect a void in some cases.
Old 10-12-2014, 04:54 PM   #27
Guru

City: Calgary
Vessel Name: Blue Sky
Vessel Model: Nordic Tugs 42 Hull #001
My experience with transducers is that they typically come as 12 degree to 15 degree units, meaning that they can handle that much offset due to dead rise without any adjustments. There may be options beyond that, but I never had the need to investigate.
Conrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 08:04 PM   #28
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Some of the things mentioned just need to be verified berfore you toss them out.

Airmar right in their literature discusses shoot through the hull ducers are powered to make up for the glass in your hull...if 1000 feet of water to sound waves isn't an issue a little fiberglass isn't either.

Airmar FAQ - What affect does hull thickness have on the performance of an in-hull transducer?

What affect does hull thickness have on the performance of an in-hull transducer?

The thicker the fiberglass the more signal is lost passing through the hull. However, our in-hull transducers are designed to more than compensate for this loss.

As far as install angles..remember the ducer transmit cone only sends back info on what it first detects...so the wider the cone the less critical the angle of install is...it may be a bigger deal for a sailboat that stays on a heeled tack...less for a trawler that rolls back ad forth. I have installed flat ducers on deadrise that are say 10-15 degrees in beam angle...so up to 15 degrees deadrise and as long as your boat rolls back through center...no big deal..not perfect but you'll probably never know it. If it is..go to the 50kH which is a much wider cone most of the time I'm pretty sure.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 04:33 AM   #29
Guru

City: Perth
Vessel Name: M/V SOLSTICE
Vessel Model: Hendo "Special"
FishFinder - Which one?

Thanks to N4712's help, I'll be getting 1 (Possibly 2) GARMIN 840XS unit(s) with a CHIRP Tec Transducer. Can't wait to get it/them.

Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum
Old 10-13-2014, 09:32 AM   #30
Guru

City: South FL
Vessel Name: Oliver
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 47 Hull# 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendo78 View Post
Thanks to N4712's help, I'll be getting 1 (Possibly 2) GARMIN 840XS unit(s) with a CHIRP Tec Transducer. Can't wait to get it/them.

Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum

Yes that's what's nice about them, unlike other brands they have the built in sounder so you don't have to spend another 1K on a ducer box.
Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
N4712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 08:25 PM   #31
Guru

City: Santa Cruz, CA
Vessel Name: Frisky
Vessel Model: 99 Nordic Tug
I just installed the lowrance elite hdi 5x on my tender ( about 500 bucks and 3 hours to install.) It came with a transom mount transudecer. the picture of the bottom is incredible, even at high speeds. I didnt take any pictures but here is a link to the unit.
bligh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 04:28 AM   #32

City: toronto
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony B View Post
I need a new depth finder/fish finder.
I really want the dual imaging because I am more concerned about the bottom detail than the fish.
Right now, I am trying to decide between the Garmin Echo 301Dv and the Humminbird 561 DI. They both fit the bill as far as features and price.
I sure the Garmin with color would be much easier to see in all conditions than the Black/greyscale Humminbird would be.
Anyone here familiar with either of these units?

Thanks in Advance

Tony B
Better fish finders are available now specially after deeper smart sonar fish finders have become really portable. I recommend that you get what you can handle specially on small vessel like kayak. 301 and 561 both are good but if you really want to understand the details on the screen colors are must. I found this guide this may help you in deciding. Fishes form arcs and color ending at arc is identifiying point. With colored screen it will be easier to identify those hiding rewards.
GwenFarley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 07:59 AM   #33

City: Morehead City, NC
Lots of advancements have been made....in the almost 3 years since the last post in this thread was made
sealion2288 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 08:04 AM   #34
Veteran Member

City: tallahassee
Vessel Model: 1979 Mainship 34
I like the Raymarine dragonfly series.

Wifi seems like a gimmick until you have tablets/cell phones connected using Navionics.

Depth and chartplotting in your pocket is nice.
Mrwesson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 09:39 AM   #35
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrwesson View Post
I like the Raymarine dragonfly series.

Wifi seems like a gimmick until you have tablets/cell phones connected using Navionics.

Depth and chartplotting in your pocket is nice.
I agree about wifi being a good tool.

My Raymarine MFD in the Saloon with the anchor alarm set will wake me up if activated. I then can reach for my cell hone and see my position and depth or just check it anytime.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 11:42 AM   #36
Guru

City: Pender Harbour, BC
Vessel Name: Gwaii Haanas
Vessel Model: Vancouver Shipyards Custom Aluminum 52
I just purchased a Si–tex sounder and I'm pleased with it. Good price. My last Si-tex lasted 25 years.
Old 07-12-2017, 10:42 PM   #37
Guru

City: kemah
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
I agree about wifi being a good tool.

My Raymarine MFD in the Saloon with the anchor alarm set will wake me up if activated. I then can reach for my cell hone and see my position and depth or just check it anytime.
Someday raymarine will add anti-grounding to thier autopilots and you wont need to get up from your nap any more.
what_barnacles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 05:04 AM   #38
Guru

City: st pete
Vessel Model: 400 Mainship
Bought a HawkEye a while back for a small boat I had. Just wanted a small round digital depth finder. Was cheap and a real POS. Tech support was poor in that they would only email.... wouldn't talk. And the guy was a "go between" between me and the real tech guy. Tried to transducers and two indicator heads and hours of time trouble shooting and finally packed the whole mess up and sent it back.

The best it would do was intermittent.

I put a Garmin unit in and worked from day one and has never failed. Great tech support, but didn't need them.

I would have considered others, like the Hummingbird, but only the low cost units were available in the smaller sizes, and tech was lousy. I never was able to get any communication going from Hummingbird so gave up on them.
Old 07-13-2017, 03:17 PM   #39
Veteran Member

City: Ak
Vessel Name: Nadezdha
Vessel Model: 1972 Beaver 36
I buy Garmin GPSmap products because I've had several so I'm familiar with them and because I think their charts are excellent for my area. I think the 840xs is currently a great price/performance point. You can get a transducer for transom mount or thru-hull.

Many mounting locations on your hull will have little to no deadrise angle so it's usually not too difficult to select the correct one. If you need to determine deadrise, buy a cheap angle indicator tool from Amazon and hold it on your hull where you want to mount the transducer. Transducers are offered with a range of built-in deadrise adjustment so buy the transducer that fits your hull angle.

For example, on my troller the hull deadrise angle where I wanted to mount the thru-hull B75 airmar was 18degrees. This transducer is offered with models to accomodate 0degree, 6-15degrees, and one model that accomodates hull angle of 16-24 degrees so this one works perfectly for me.

BrotherDave is offline   Reply With Quote