Fish Finder, Marine Electronics

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Drzasa

Getting a diesel inboard trawler type boat and I fish a lot for Salmon, Albacore Tuna, Halibut and Rock Fish on the Washington Coast. All the boats I am looking at have old electronics which will need to be upgraded. Looking for a fish finder, transducer, good 18-24 NM radar and GPS/Chart-plotter that works well, tried of catching fish and seeing a blank screen on my fish finders.

I know the sky’s the limit on price so my budget is 5K-8K. Any suggestions from anyone that has something that works well?

What is the best bang for the buck?

What is your layout? Do you require single station or multiple station electronics?

I'd look at price as a secondary's consideration, and regard functionality as a primary requirement. For example, Lowrance may meet the budgetary requirements, but IMO that line of electronics is best left to the bass boat crowd.

I wouldn't want to be miles offshore with cheap gear.

We've had a Lowrance HDS-5X for over 6 years and love it. We fish shallow water as well as canyons (15'-3000'). It will feed most newer MFDs either through NEMA 2000 or Ethernet networking. The new model, with a wifi module, will work with your tablet or smart phone. They've come a long way! :) Lowrance is owned by Navico which also owns Simrad and B&G.

Attachments

• Picture 301.jpg
    Picture 301.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 125
I've found nothing wrong with Lowrance equipment for offshore use as well.

But for bang for your buck look at the Standard Horizon combo plotters/fish finders/radars as well.

Need electronics on inside helm and on the flybridge. Those multi function displays with the IPad or remote controlable screens seem to be a intriguing option especially considering $350 vs $2500 for just a additional screen.

Need electronics on inside helm and on the flybridge. Those multi function displays with the IPad or remote controlable screens seem to be a intriguing option especially considering $350 vs $2500 for just a additional screen.

:thumb::thumb::thumb: my route...plus a notebook with OpenCPN on it with free up o date charts and a $29 GPS puck.

Larry

What transducer are you running to get that depth?

Tom

That's my plan to start off with in the boat I'm planning to build.I have this for mine currently.I wrote this post back in 2010.I had a cheap old,I believe,Johnson depth sounder.Fish finder I used my gut and some published fishing guides. USB GPS BU-353 and Earth Bridge - Setup Instructions - Laptop GPS World

That's what I'm using, too. I have the OpenCPN and Offshore Navigator Lite that I run on the laptop. I also run a Note 8 tablet with NOAA and Navionics maps and BoatBeacon and MarineTraffic apps.

It's hard to beat free in the charting world. I just can't find a really good reason to invest big bucks in a dedicated screen to provide the same info.

So what is the verdict? I know electronics are not cheap but was hoping to come away with some different options that meet the requirements I stated above. Seems that even 20k for 2 screens in each location might not be enough money anyone have some suggestions?

I've always found Lowrance very easy to self install, user friendly, innovative, and reliable. I think of it as the Toyota of marine equipment, and I'm still driving a 25 year old Toyota GT4 which still goes like new. My Lowrance GPS combo unit I installed myself in 2004 also still fine.

I would make sure the unit can read to at least 500ft ,

so Contour Navigation can be used if needed.

I have no experience with any of this stuff - just reading what everyone has to say about all boat systems etc.

This is what I have set in motion; I bought a Raymarine E7mfd for fish finding & sounding. If I choose, I can build from that base. I bought a new ASUS PC for Nobeltec chart-plotting. I also bought a Furuno 36 mi open ray radar new in the box. Here is the one of the best parts of my shopping, most of these systems are blue tooth capable, so I will buy a sunlight readable monitor for the upper helm & use a blue tooth mouse to do the controlling of the lower helm systems. Those systems that are not blue tooth capable, I will hard wire. Most of my systems are redundant, so this is good, right. I am into all of this for about $8,000, so far. I still need an autopilot, which I'm still trying to figure out. I must add that the entire radar system was bought for far less that $2,000. Which was a big savings. Spread the word around the dock that you are looking for this or that. You will be surprised. I hope this helps, in that, I had to make a course of action, then put in motion. Right or wrong.

Here's our setup:

Lower helm- Raymarine e127, connected via NMEA 0183 to a Standars Horizon GX2150 VHF for AIS data; P179 transducer for depth; Raymarine Evolution 400 autopilot with P70R A/P control head. Second screen is a 19" monitor running OpenCPN on a Mac Mini computer with a USB GPS puck. All Raymarine gear is networked to the upper helm;

Upper helm:Raymarine e125 connected to 4kW open array radar. A/P controls built into head unit.

Rear (cockpit) helm station; iPad connected via wifi/Bluetooth.

I use my iPhone as a remote control for the MFDs.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom