F L starter wiring schematic

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rog

Vessel Name
BOLO
Vessel Make
1978 Choey Lee
Hi Guys & Gals, having :banghead: time finding starter/solenoid schematic
for ford Lehman, any help at all will be smiled at. Rog.

Most boat builders wire the starter their own way, so even though Lehman may recommend a wiring diagram, there is no way to know if they did it that way. But here is a diagram that I think is pretty generic to go by:
marine-starter-solenoid-wiring-diagram-new-best-of-boat-ignition-1-lovely-with-boat-starter-solenoid-wiring-diagram.jpg

Many builders do not use a neutral switch so in that case just assume that the wire to the starting switch is continuous. Or that switch could be in the circuit from #5 on the key switch to the starting button on some installations. Or the starting button could be part of the key switch. Also Lehman engines have a starting solenoid as part of the starter. But even if they do it is very common to have a starting relay as shown in the diagram between the starting push button and the on starter solenoid, so it looks just like the diagram above.

David

Reactions: rog
Wiring diagram attached. Starter is standard Bendix type. Pinion shaft has a tendency to rust so if starter spins but won't engage whack it with a rubber hammer. Solenoid relay is generic and cheap so it's a good idea to keep a spare onboard. There is also a circuit breaker that must be turned on to energize switch, volt meter, and low oil buzzer. I suspect most neutral safety switches are disconnected.

Attachments

• lehman starter diagram.jpg
    lehman starter diagram.jpg
    133.2 KB · Views: 1,136
Last edited:
Our neutral switch is in the circuit as David pointed but also have a Bosch style automotive relay in the loop.

Attachments

• C60218EC-D616-43F8-8D20-2053BF25B20B.gif
    C60218EC-D616-43F8-8D20-2053BF25B20B.gif
    11.5 KB · Views: 870
I bet Lehman's are wired a bunch of different ways based on their age and all the boats they are in.

Thought the forum library had the sketch from American Diesel donated by Jleonard.

Ignition issues

I have a 37 foot Hirshine trawler with twin Lehmans. Changed the starter and alternator on port side motor. Used alternator with built in regulator and wired in independent solenoid. Engines start fine now, solenoid shutoff works well. When I turn the key to start position my electronics come on when I release the key accessories turn off. what has gone wrong? Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks...

I have a 37 foot Hirshine trawler with twin Lehmans. Changed the starter and alternator on port side motor. Used alternator with built in regulator and wired in independent solenoid. Engines start fine now, solenoid shutoff works well. When I turn the key to start position my electronics come on when I release the key accessories turn off. what has gone wrong? Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks...

Put the candle back! Obviously you somehow crossed the power feed to the electronics to the start terminal of the auxiliary relay. I f it were me, I would trace backwards from the electronics to where it ties into either the switch or relay and disconnect that. Find some other way to power it.

Back
Top Bottom