Old 01-15-2012, 09:19 PM   #1
City: Sidney, BC
Vessel Name: Penta
Vessel Model: 36' 1961 Sather ex-Gill Netter
External monitors on GPS / plotters

Are any of you making use of the VGA output from your chart-plotter to drive a bigger or remote monitor?

A freind is wanting to add a larger monitor to his new helm latout an as well have a "remote" monitor at the upper bridge. His plotter has a VGA output available and I have plugged in a second display to try things and it works* fine so it is a possibility. In his case all he really uses the plotter for is to locate himself and to reference his position to the paper charts. His plotter does not have a touch screen and he really does not need access to the front panelcontrols on the plotter because in his case the system is totally a "monitor" fuction and he does not wnt the expence of two new plotters.

Just wondering if anyone has done this and if so was there any problem.

John* MV Penta

Penta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 06:21 AM   #2
City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
RE: External monitors on GPS / plotters

Happy New Year. On my Furuno NN3s* there*are VGA out*connectors too. According to the manual it will work with a standard monitor. Easy enough to try. I feed two monitors from my Nobeltec laptop. Without a shielded cable the monitor nearest the helm sometimes shows clutter lines.

sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 07:44 AM   #3
Grand Vizier
RE: External monitors on GPS / plotters

I located the computer, plotting software and charts in a lower office and had a special cable made to go the distance to the pilot house. *Shielding is important and as I recall, the cable was around $150 or so. *The monitor is a Big Bay, which I like very much as it is visible from angles wherever you are in the P/H. *Big Bay made up the cable.
Delfin is offline   Reply With Quote