Experienced Marine electrician needed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

captmorgan23

Veteran Member
I am in Tacoma and am looking for an experienced marine electrician willing to oversee my boat rewiring. I want to be heavily involved so I know my boats guts, as I truly need to rewire this thing properly. My battery banks are wired all over the place and there is wire everywhere from DIYers adding and subtracting willy nilly for 40 years. I am too anal to not have it perfect and I want to bring this girl to better than she ever was wired. Any suggestions or help from the peanut gallery would be appreciated. My boat is a 36' wooden Monk Trawler.
MP

Why not save a boat load of money and just do it yourself.

(1) It will take five time longer then you think it will.
(2) I bought all my marine grade wire over the internet. It was CONSIDERABLY cheaper then the local shops especially West marine.
(3) It really helps to have a helper when pulling in wire. One to feed, the other to pull
(4) You might want to replace the fuse panel with a more modern unit.
(5) I bought a small, heavy cast iron crimper for the lugs on the battery cables, etc that you hit with a hammer. It has severd me well for the last 15 years now and was much cheaper then the crimper with the long handles.
(6) You will learn new words when installing wire.
(7) Draw a wiring plan before you start. Also it's a good time to install some extra wire for possible future upgrades.
(8) It will take you five time longer then you think it will.

Dave

I agree , BUT have a different way of doing it.

Anchor brand wire and terminals , and approved Anchor Crimper, colored insulation to the latest specks and I vastly prefer factory made ends on 04 and other heavy wiring.

I crimp then solder uninsulated terminals on, then cover with heat shrink , but the Anchor are OK.

A CB protects the wires , a fuse AT the user protects the item being powered.

Solenoid , not isolator to charge house banks operated from engine key switch..

You should be able to find a wiring master diagram and simply follow it.

[(1) It will take five time longer then you think it will.]

Yep. Doing lots of this kinda stuff on my boat, I found the commonest phrase I found my self using was a heartfelt sort of cry which went something like this..."Oh God, why does everything have to be so hard....?"
But remember, it's all meant to be fun, and it can save you money. It just depends how you value your time really......and whether you are finding it fun...?

But remember, it's all meant to be fun, and it can save you money. It just depends how you value your time really......and whether you are finding it fun...?

An even better reason for DIY is your time is cheap , so your not in a rush .

If you make a mistake , or need a different part its no big deal.

The QUALITY of the owner installed system can be far higher than with some guy in a hurry.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom