Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 02-15-2016, 11:18 PM   #1
Veteran Member
 
City: Rock Island, IL
Country: USA
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 37
Experience with WeBoost WiFi Amplifier?

We are looking into the purchase of the WeBoost Drive 4G-X Marine Essentials Kit. PN 470510-M. The goal is to boost our cell phone and wifi range. We have Verizon cell phone service and a Verizon Hotspot to connect our laptop to the internet; however, we would like to connect to the marina wifi internet vs the Verizon Hotspot if possible. We are not sure if the WeBoost also amplifies the wifi signal or if it just boosts the cell phone signal. Any insights are very much appreciated!
Thanks!
__________________
Advertisement

sammy999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 07:20 AM   #2
Guru
 
timjet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 1,905
I've found most marina WiFi signals to be marginal at best and really not reliable. Some yes but if you really need reliable WiFi best to have a MiFi unit. My verizon unit worked well at almost every stop on the ICW and Chesapeake.

At those marina's that did have good WiFi I would use their signal to upload pictures to google +. Sometimes I would have to go to their lounge to do it. That's where a booster may help, but I think if you're thinking of streaming video you will be disappointed. - Just my experience.
__________________

__________________
Tim
Tampa Bay
Carver 355 ACMY Twin Cummins Diesels Sold
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 11:00 AM   #3
Guru
 
drb1025's Avatar
 
City: Bellevue, WA
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Fiddler
Vessel Model: DeFever 46
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 501
Experience with WeBoost WiFi Amplifier?

The WeBoost 4-GX only amplifies a cell phone (voice and data) signal. It is not a wifi booster.
drb1025 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 12:02 PM   #4
Guru
 
Heron's Avatar
 
City: Cypress Landing Marina (NC)
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Heron (2)
Vessel Model: '88 Cape Dory 28 Flybridge #115
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 1,084
Quote:
Originally Posted by drb1025 View Post
The WeBoost 4-GX only amplifies a cell phone (voice and data) signal. It is not a wifi booster.
Yes...Consider a booster. I have the Wirie and am very pleased with it. I don't have the phone interface version, just the Wifi, but it works very well. Do a search...There has been a lot written here covering various systems and options..

Marine WiFi and RV WiFi and 3G/4G solutions: The Wirie AP+, The Wirie pro, and The Wirie Ex
__________________
Steve
Heron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 06:42 AM   #5
Guru
 
timjet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 1,905
OK, I realize now the OP is requesting info on extending cellular data and voice range. I know there must be a need for this but in my experience cruising the ICW and Chesapeake and using my ATT phone and verizon MiFi unit I was maybe 1 or 2 times not within celluar or data range on either one. Why would you spend $400-$700 to extend voice and or data range when the cellular companies have such good coverage?
I know there must be a need, I just don't know why.
__________________
Tim
Tampa Bay
Carver 355 ACMY Twin Cummins Diesels Sold
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 08:09 AM   #6
Guru
 
psneeld's Avatar
 
City: Avalon, NJ
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 15,913
Not sure why I would need to extend cellular...

But wifi, definitely.

WiFi is our only entertainment and streaming is important much of the time.

Many marinas have pretty bad wifi and being able to reach xfinity towers for open wifi (with family Comcast access) or even less used access points at marinas can mean the difference.

You can have a decent wifi amplifier setup complete for less than $400 and if you buy the components sparately, the setup is around $200.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 10:35 AM   #7
Guru
 
timjet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 1,905
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
being able to reach xfinity towers for open wifi (with family Comcast access)
Can you explain that, I'm not familiar
__________________
Tim
Tampa Bay
Carver 355 ACMY Twin Cummins Diesels Sold
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 12:08 PM   #8
Guru
 
psneeld's Avatar
 
City: Avalon, NJ
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 15,913
Xfinity with Comcast allows you to log on where ever they have open wifi...in fact in some places there are just open generic wifi sites that if you have an acount through Comcast or other providers...you can use a password and log on. In Ft Pierce we use xfinity when the marina is too slow.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 04:18 PM   #9
Guru
 
tpbrady's Avatar
 
City: Anchorage/Wrangell
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Silver Bay
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 42-002
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 506
On the cellular side, be sure the amplifier handles LTE. That is down between 700-800 MHz so a 3G/4G amp won't help it.

Tom
tpbrady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 08:22 AM   #10
Guru
 
timjet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 1,905
[QUOTE=psneeld;415697]Xfinity with Comcast allows you to log on where ever they have open wifi...in fact in some places there are just open generic wifi sites that if you have an acount through Comcast or other providers...you can use a password and log on.

So as I understand it, with a Xfinity account you can log on to their WiFi and stream video, etc. What do you mean my "other providers". Does an account with Xfinity allow access to those "other providers" and how do you know which other provides will grant you access.

Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
You can have a decent wifi amplifier setup complete for less than $400 and if you buy the components sparately, the setup is around $200.
Is there a web site with detailed instructions on how to set up a WiFi receiver, antenna, amplifier, and what ever else is needed?

I didn't know there was a comprehensive nationwide WiFi network like Xfinity. With your setup are you able to access Xfinity WiFi most of the time and places?
__________________
Tim
Tampa Bay
Carver 355 ACMY Twin Cummins Diesels Sold
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 08:35 AM   #11
Guru
 
City: Satsuma FL
Country: United States
Vessel Name: No Mo Trawla
Vessel Model: Hurricane SS188
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 1,681
[QUOTE=timjet;415997]
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
Xfinity with Comcast allows you to log on where ever they have open wifi...in fact in some places there are just open generic wifi sites that if you have an acount through Comcast or other providers...you can use a password and log on.

So as I understand it, with a Xfinity account you can log on to their WiFi and stream video, etc. What do you mean my "other providers". Does an account with Xfinity allow access to those "other providers" and how do you know which other provides will grant you access.



Is there a web site with detailed instructions on how to set up a WiFi receiver, antenna, amplifier, and what ever else is needed?

I didn't know there was a comprehensive nationwide WiFi network like Xfinity. With your setup are you able to access Xfinity WiFi most of the time and places?
AT&T has something similar. The issue I have had with it and I suspect Xfinity is similar, is knowing where the hotspots are. For Xfinity, you normally need to be in one of their service areas and be lucky enough to have a hotspot nearby. IMHO, it is pretty much a roll of the dice.
Donsan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 08:41 AM   #12
Guru
 
timjet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 1,905
[QUOTE=Donsan;416002]
Quote:
Originally Posted by timjet View Post

AT&T has something similar. The issue I have had with it and I suspect Xfinity is similar, is knowing where the hotspots are. For Xfinity, you normally need to be in one of their service areas and be lucky enough to have a hotspot nearby. IMHO, it is pretty much a roll of the dice.
Yes I was wondering if you can really rely on this type of service. Presumably with a WiFi booster that would expand your capability, but even so can you rely on it in most places?

My verizon MiFi unit works everywhere but it gets expensive if you stream video.
__________________
Tim
Tampa Bay
Carver 355 ACMY Twin Cummins Diesels Sold
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 08:43 AM   #13
Guru
 
psneeld's Avatar
 
City: Avalon, NJ
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 15,913
No on Xfinity most places...but many small cities/towns seem to have it. Probably have a map on their website.

There was an open broadcast called " public wifi" I believe and when you logged on...it allowed you to pick one of a half dozen cable providers. You picked one and put in your ID and password and got internet. They also carried Comcast/xfinity in addition to xfinity being stand alone in the area.

As far as a home made set up....all you need is a ubiquity bullet, an antenna for it, a power over ethernet adapter and a router. When you purchase the bullet, there are videos on the ubiquity site to help as well as dozens of boater blogs and utube videos to help.

The setup isn't easy if not networking literate, but the videos may get you there without issues.

Someone else may have put one together based on some boating blog...maybe they have a link....I don't have it on this tablet so we will see who else may have done it.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 08:47 AM   #14
Guru
 
psneeld's Avatar
 
City: Avalon, NJ
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 15,913
[QUOTE=timjet;416004]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donsan View Post

Yes I was wondering if you can really rely on this type of service. Presumably with a WiFi booster that would expand your capability, but even so can you rely on it in most places?

My verizon MiFi unit works everywhere but it gets expensive if you stream video.
No, it's not most places. Especially not in anchorages. But it is out there and expanding.

For reliable internet, a hot spot is the ticket still....unless really remote and the satcomms like Kevin Sanders discusses is necessary. But not really necessary for Atlantic ICW cruising.

And the reason to spend the $$$ for the booster is to be able to stream and it is less expensive than biting the bullet for satellite TV.

And please...all of you that don't watch TV at anchor...great...we are all different.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 08:56 AM   #15
Guru
 
City: Satsuma FL
Country: United States
Vessel Name: No Mo Trawla
Vessel Model: Hurricane SS188
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 1,681
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
No on Xfinity most places...but many small cities/towns seem to have it. Probably have a map on their website.

There was an open broadcast called " public wifi" I believe and when you logged on...it allowed you to pick one of a half dozen cable providers. You picked one and put in your ID and password and got internet. They also carried Comcast/xfinity in addition to xfinity being stand alone in the area.

As far as a home made set up....all you need is a ubiquity bullet, an antenna for it, a power over ethernet adapter and a router. When you purchase the bullet, there are videos on the ubiquity site to help as well as dozens of boater blogs and utube videos to help.

The setup isn't easy if not networking literate, but the videos may get you there without issues.

Someone else may have put one together based on some boating blog...maybe they have a link....I don't have it on this tablet so we will see who else may have done it.
You can definitely do a home brew but I would just purchase a Wirie Pro which will amplify both your wifi connections and your cellular connections for about $700 and use my time to drink more Pussers.
Donsan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 09:14 AM   #16
Guru
 
psneeld's Avatar
 
City: Avalon, NJ
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 15,913
Haven't had the need to amplify cell yet, or even read too many others feel the need.

So for basic wifi..it all depends if someone thinks saving 100 to 200 dollars is worth an hour or two of their time.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 09:21 AM   #17
Guru
 
timjet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 1,905
From what I've gathered from this discussion a WiFi booster may help you receive signals from Xfinity and certain other providers that have agreements with Xfinity. The locations where these signals are available even with a booster is still somewhat limited, so your choices for reliable internet access is limited to cellular or satellite.
__________________
Tim
Tampa Bay
Carver 355 ACMY Twin Cummins Diesels Sold
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 09:24 AM   #18
Guru
 
timjet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 1,905
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post

As far as a home made set up....all you need is a ubiquity bullet, an antenna for it, a power over ethernet adapter and a router. When you purchase the bullet, there are videos on the ubiquity site to help as well as dozens of boater blogs and utube videos to help.

The setup isn't easy if not networking literate, but the videos may get you there without issues.

Someone else may have put one together based on some boating blog...maybe they have a link....I don't have it on this tablet so we will see who else may have done it.
Kinda like this + a router:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Booster.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	57.4 KB
ID:	48964  
__________________
Tim
Tampa Bay
Carver 355 ACMY Twin Cummins Diesels Sold
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 09:30 AM   #19
Guru
 
psneeld's Avatar
 
City: Avalon, NJ
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 15,913
Quote:
Originally Posted by timjet View Post
From what I've gathered from this discussion a WiFi booster may help you receive signals from Xfinity and certain other providers that have agreements with Xfinity. The locations where these signals are available even with a booster is still somewhat limited, so your choices for reliable internet access is limited to cellular or satellite.
Correct...but my my point is that a wifi booster is worth the money whether cheapo or top dollar if.... one.... you like to stream and... two ....if you do stay enough in marinas or free docks or nearby anchorages.

The money in my mind, especially if done for a couple hundred, is quickly paid back if you can shave a few gigs off your data plan. This is an assumption that you don't need the data when not crushing and you are cruising enough that there is a money tradeoff.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 09:30 AM   #20
Guru
 
City: Satsuma FL
Country: United States
Vessel Name: No Mo Trawla
Vessel Model: Hurricane SS188
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 1,681
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
Haven't had the need to amplify cell yet, or even read too many others feel the need.

So for basic wifi..it all depends if someone thinks saving 100 to 200 dollars is worth an hour or two of their time.
If you stick to the ICW, you probably won't hit too many dead zones but there are some. Timjet uses Mifi which is basically a cellular wireless access point. In dead zones or areas with one or bars, the Wirie Pro could help him get much better reception. Many smartphones and tablets also have the ability to be a cellular WAP. I don't have one but will probably add one. Our marina doesn't have wifi and we only get one or two bar cellular connections there. Really depends on where you are and what your needs are but there are quite a few boats with Wirie.
__________________

Donsan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:41 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2006 - 2012