Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by timjet View Post
Kinda like this + a router:
yep that's all you need......

And the average 9 year old to help you network it.

psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 09:37 AM   #22
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donsan View Post
If you stick to the ICW, you probably won't hit too many dead zones but there are some. Timjet uses Mifi which is basically a cellular wireless access point. In dead zones or areas with one or bars, the Wirie Pro could help him get much better reception. Many smartphones and tablets also have the ability to be a cellular WAP. I don't have one but will probably add one. Our marina doesn't have wifi and we only get one or two bar cellular connections there. Really depends on where you are and what your needs are but there are quite a few boats with Wirie.
The beauty is....if you aren't streaming, the connection doesn't have to be very good.

Old 02-18-2016, 09:43 AM   #23
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
yep that's all you need......

And the average 9 year old to help you network it.
Heading toward the nearest elementary school.

What this set up really does is amplify any WiFi signal whether it's Xfinity's or a nearby marina or Starbucks. Correct??
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 10:29 AM   #24

This is another option, we've used their products in our motorhome successfully.
https://www.wifiranger.com
folivier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 10:32 AM   #25
Guru

Quote:

What this set up really does is amplify any WiFi signal whether it's Xfinity's or a nearby marina or Starbucks. Correct??
Yes....

The ubiquity software is built right into the bullet (radio/ wifi) so when you go to the software to chang access points ..you see a list of access points, the same as you would on a smart phone...but much longer usually.

There is some other great built in software that my IT son showed me that is some of the best out there for seeing just what the signals are really like...but it was over my head at the moment
Old 02-18-2016, 11:28 AM   #26
Guru

City: Bellevue, WA
Vessel Name: Fiddler
Vessel Model: DeFever 46
I have a RogueWave wifi antenna and the strongest signal from my Seattle marina is xfinity. The speed test showed 6-10Mbps, about twice that of Beacon at the marina which you have to subscribe to. The xfinity hotspot is very reliable and will stay connected for days.
drb1025 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 02:30 PM   #27
Guru

City: West Coast
Quote:

That is one way to look at it, but from a networking perspective, it is more complicated. I configured my bullet as a router, and re-configured my wireless router to be a wireless access point. It is easier to setup the bullet as an access point, leaving your existing router configuration largely unchanged, but the problem with that is you can't easily get to the bullet to change its settings (ie, the wireless network you want to use it to access) through your network (since it will be on the other side of your router's firewall). Not being network savy, I spent probably 100 hours figuring out how the network needs to be configured (the bullet's website is very hard for non-network engineers to understand, and for the basic configuration, it recommends only that the bullet be configured as an access point), and optimizing the bullet and access point configurations, but now it is really simple. One mouse click and I am on my bullet's internal web page from which I can know/reconfigure everything about its current connection to the internet. Similarly, my wireless access point (used to be router) is also accessed from my browser with one click and I use that to limit the devices that can join my network -- not only is a password required, but if I have not previously approved a device's mac address, that device doesn't get access.

The end result is that where ever I go, I can see a list off all available access points, their respective signal strengths, and whether they are open, making it easy to find one that works.
MYTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 03:23 PM   #28
Guru

City: Full-time onboard
Vessel Model: Trawler
Ughhh...there are too many people confused about cellular amplification and high-gain WiFi.

To the original question about the WeBoost Drive 4G-X...

Without doubt, do not get that product unless you meet one of these criteria:
- You have a steel boat
- You have a 75' trawler
- You have a sailboat with a 50'+ mast

Unless you meet one of those, never buy a wireless cellular amp for your boat. It's a complete waste of money. I've been involved in helping a thousand boats with cellular amplification. The ones who love their setup use a wired amp. There is another, much less expensive WeBoost that is wired. Time after time a boater invites me over because the amp "I suggested" isn't working. I show up on their boat and they have a wireless amp, completely contrary to my suggestion.

That said, I wouldn't leave the dock without a cellular amp. I've been using them since 2004 when I had to build one myself because they didn't exist yet (definitely not for boats). With a cellular amp, we get 15 nm access offshore. It's even better in the Bahamas where I didn't even check until we were 20 nm out and shocked to get full connectivity.

Even inshore, if you have 2-3 bars normally, you'll get 3-5 bars with an amp. That will mean faster connections and less dropping/stuttering of data. A cellular amp also gives you a single gateway to internet connectivity that can easily be distributed through a boat's WiFi router. That's beyond this conversation but will become very important in the next few years.

There are a lot of things to consider with a cellular amp like true 4G frequency compatibility. For the WeBoost, you'd also need a pizza pan which will triple the output.

I've written extensively about all of this in ActiveCaptain newsletters. Use Google to find all the information there.

I think every cruising boat needs a high-gain WiFi modem solution as well. That's a completely separate thing though.
Jeffrey S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 03:46 PM   #29
Guru

City: West Coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey S View Post
Ughhh...there are too many people confused about cellular amplification and high-gain WiFi.
I think every cruising boat needs a high-gain WiFi modem solution as well. That's a completely separate thing though.
Sounds to me like OP wants both, so there is probably less confusion than you think.
MYTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 06:05 AM   #30
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey S View Post

So many people are confused because there is no explanation that I know of to education people who don't have an IT background. Starting at what a modem does through what a router is through why and what networking is and so on. I know all this info is available on line but you must be motivated to spend the time to track all this down, and when you think you understand you'll find your research omitted some important thing and you get confused. Been there done that. So Jeffery don't criticize your buddy too much for installing a wireless amp when it should have been a wired amp. He probably did just enough research to get himself in trouble.

In my experience a cellular booster is not necessary provided you are not going off shore. Even in the Abacos I was able to receive WiFi signals (not cellular) to get sufficient weather info to cruise safely. But I understand the need for some to have internet connection 24/7 even in very remote areas. However using cellular for streaming video or other entertainment purposes can get very expensive.

And with that said I would like to get info on Jeffery's second statement; a high gain WiFi solution. I'm not sure what high gain means but I think it mean the ability to receive WiFi signals from a distance or at least farther that your notebook's internal WiFi can provide.
Old 02-19-2016, 06:26 AM   #31
Guru

I looked up the definition of router on google:

(row´ter) (n.) A router is a device that forwards data packets along networks. A router is connected to at least two networks, commonly two LANs or WANs or a LAN and its ISP's network. Routers are located at gateways, the places where two or more networks connect.
Routers use headers and forwarding tables to determine the best path for forwarding the packets, and they use protocols such as ICMP to communicate with each other and configure the best route between any two hosts.
Very little filtering of data is done through routers.

Perhaps now you can see why information is so difficult to come by.
Old 02-19-2016, 02:33 PM   #32
Guru

City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
We have 2 smart phones and a hotspot. A few years ago we purchased a Wilson Electronics booster. It came with the amp, cradle (inside antenna) and antenna. They aren't cheap. The reason for us is we have a weak tower signal at our dock on the lower Columbia River and according to reports from our friends who cruise the Inside passage it does give you "some" boosted coverage.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0904.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	86.4 KB
ID:	49016   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0905.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	55.1 KB
ID:	49017   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0906.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	40.4 KB
ID:	49018  
Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/
Alaskan Sea-Duction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 03:13 PM   #33
Guru

City: Full-time onboard
Vessel Model: Trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskan Sea-Duction View Post
A few years ago we purchased a Wilson Electronics booster..
That one statement looks very innocuous but it quite critical to the experience you're having with an amp today.

How long ago, exactly, did you buy the amp or more importantly, what is the model number?

If it's a 3G amp, it's probably hurting your signal strength by putting the phone into it.

Jeffrey S is offline   Reply With Quote