Old 04-15-2012, 10:34 AM   #1

City: Hamilton
estimated time and route

Good day all. I'm new to the forum and very interested in the trawler lifestyle. I've pondered upon many trawlers but the majority of them are in florida. I'm just wondering how long it would take to cruise a trawler from Palmetto Florida to St. Catharines Ontario Canada? Also the route I would have to take. I'm hoping some of you have taken the journey up north and can shed some light as to what to expect. Thx

rayalbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 11:08 AM   #2
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Welcome Mr. rayalbel. What to expect????? Bridge openings that you may have to wait for. Weather related delays-yes, even on the ICW. Height restrictions on fixed bridges on the Erie canal (21' if I remember correctly). Running aground (if you haven't already you will someday-buy tow insurance). Possible mechanical failures-carry spares or know where to get them quickly. DO NOT have a timetable of ANY SORT!!!!!!!!!! Time is relative. Some days you may make 70 miles, others, 25 miles, and some 0 miles. Did I mention, do not have a timetable????

Old 04-15-2012, 11:18 AM   #3
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by rayalbel View Post
Good day all. I'm new to the forum and very interested in the trawler lifestyle. I've pondered upon many trawlers but the majority of them are in florida. I'm just wondering how long it would take to cruise a trawler from Palmetto Florida to St. Catharines Ontario Canada? Also the route I would have to take. I'm hoping some of you have taken the journey up north and can shed some light as to what to expect. Thx
A year ago it took me about 20 days to come up the ICW from Ft Lauderdale, Fl to Cape May, NJ. I would estimate another 6-10 days up to Ontario but having never done the Erie Canal....that's just a wild guess. and saying 6-8 knots would be average.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 12:33 PM   #4
KJ
El Capitan

City: N Myrtle Beach, SC
Vessel Name: Avalon
Vessel Model: Chung Hwa 46 LRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
A year ago it took me about 20 days to come up the ICW from Ft Lauderdale, Fl to Cape May, NJ.
How much of that time was actually running, as opposed to down time due to the delays mentioned by RT (love your hair)? How often did you go "outside"?
KJ
KJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 01:03 PM   #5
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Thanks Mr. KJ my electrician does it for me.
Old 04-15-2012, 01:05 PM   #6

City: Ventura, CA
Vessel Name: Vyndance
Vessel Model: 48 Californian CP
The ICW to New Jersey then out to the Hudson then the Erie to the Oswego then Lake Ontario home. Unless you can clear 15 ft then the Erie to the Welland. It would take me at least 6 months.
Vyndance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 03:13 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I am a retired research boat captain who has done a number of delivery trips along this route in the past few years. In my experience a good hard days work on the inside is 75 to at most 100 miles. You could expect twice that off shore as a general rule. Off the top of my head, I would allow 30 days for the trip, includeing weather but excludeing any breakdowns. If you want to ENJOY the trip you should allow twice the time. IMHO. Bill
boatdriver47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 04:51 PM   #8
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatdriver47 View Post
I am a retired research boat captain who has done a number of delivery trips along this route in the past few years. In my experience a good hard days work on the inside is 75 to at most 100 miles. You could expect twice that off shore as a general rule. Off the top of my head, I would allow 30 days for the trip, includeing weather but excludeing any breakdowns. If you want to ENJOY the trip you should allow twice the time. IMHO. Bill
I've done it lots also...sail and power...slow and fast...inside and outside...

All depends on the boat and time of year...
Old 04-15-2012, 05:01 PM   #9
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJ View Post
How much of that time was actually running, as opposed to down time due to the delays mentioned by RT (love your hair)? How often did you go "outside"?
KJ
I'd have to check my log....but ran it kinda like a delivery... Sunup to sundown...the legs between Ft Laud and Charleston, SC were in late Jan so the days weren't long and I pushed the boat to make time. tried to Average 8 knots. Ran outside to Ft Pierce.first day..long but had a good Gulf stream push up to 10 kts sometimes..

No lost days till Charleston where I dry docked the boat for 2 months till continuing to Jersey. From Charleston...I slowed a bit to 6-7 knots to improve fuel economy...ran outside from Wrightsville Bch. NC to Beaufort, NC. Lost 1/2 day in Bellhaven, NC due to a bad frontal passage. The Lost anther day due Northeast cnditions when we ran the Chesapeake instead of coastal Norfolk to NJ. One day in the Chessie was 800 AM to 200 AM from Norfolk to Herrington harbor...just to make time.

All in all..tring to push a 6-8 knot boat 100 miles a day is a struggle. 80 pretty easy and 75 NM is a good goal if trying to make time.Sometimes you have to push if you want to make marinas..but if happy with anchoring...then go till you have to have happy hour!
Old 04-15-2012, 05:35 PM   #10
Guru

City: Cowichan Bay, BC
Vessel Name: Gray Hawk
Vessel Model: Defever 43 Offshore Cruiser
100 miles is a very long day in a 6 or 7 kt boat. Even a 70 mile day will seem long if you do a couple of them back to back. Not to mention that I'd be really nervous about getting on a new to me boat and setting out on that long a trip with an agenda. One thing that really doesn't belong on a pleasure boat is a rigid agenda.
bobofthenorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 05:41 PM   #11
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobofthenorth View Post
100 miles is a very long day in a 6 or 7 kt boat. Even a 70 mile day will seem long if you do a couple of them back to back. Not to mention that I'd be really nervous about getting on a new to me boat and setting out on that long a trip with an agenda. One thing that really doesn't belong on a pleasure boat is a rigid agenda.
True...but that's the life of a delivery captain so it wasn't that big of a deal for me. I hadn't even sea trialed the boat except for a 10 minute ride the day I went to look at her. turns out the head systems were on their last legs...but the engine was only 18 months old with 2-400 hours on her..
Old 04-15-2012, 07:43 PM   #12
Guru

City: Cowichan Bay, BC
Vessel Name: Gray Hawk
Vessel Model: Defever 43 Offshore Cruiser
That would be my point - doing that trip as a delivery captain means that there's a paycheque waiting at the end of the trip. Doing it as a (new) pleasure boat owner means that there might very well be a divorce waiting at the end of the trip.
bobofthenorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 08:43 PM   #13

just out of curiosity, how much would a boat captain cost to deliver say a 36ft ...Florida to lake ontario....ball park.
Old 04-15-2012, 09:06 PM   #14
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayalbel View Post
just out of curiosity, how much would a boat captain cost to deliver say a 36ft ...Florida to lake ontario....ball park.
A captain worth the money is around 300 a day plus around 100 for each crew (although some Capts will get a better deal on crew if you allow them to bring friends or family (and your insurance allows it). Plus all travel expenses...some will want per diem on top of their pay (for smaller boats like a 36 and $300/day for that long of a trip I would just go $300/day no per diem). Plus you pay fuel, marinas, repairs even if the Capt does them.

so 25 days minimum - $7500 Capt only (many will want a paid crewman)
$2000 Marinas
$2000 Fuel
$ 500 Travel (ballpark)
Total $12,000 (minimum I would guess and it could easily be another 25% for a total of $15,000

(I would suggest shipping a 36 footer)

The alternative is if you go and hire someone to "guide you" like I did on my first delivery...but even if you saved half on the Capt...it's still a $10,000 trip unless you press hard and anchor out a lot.
Old 04-15-2012, 10:09 PM   #15

Holy crap...I think I just found out what I want to be when I grow up lol...wow. Looks like shipping it is. Even then, it must be a pretty penny as well to ship.
Old 04-15-2012, 10:14 PM   #16
Veteran Member

City: Prince Rupert,BC
Vessel Name: Salty Bear
Vessel Model: Ta Yang Pilothouse Trawler
I've done the trip from NY to Buffalo on the Erie Canal and it took us 10 days. What time of year were you planning on leaving? Are you going to keep the vessel at HHC Marine Dockyard or LaSalle Park?

Cheers
Salty Bear II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 10:18 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Call Boat Transport out of Mendon, Mass. They move boats N and S all the time and are quite reasonable. Also try Andrews Trucking out of St. David's Ont for quote.
Old 04-15-2012, 10:59 PM   #18

Salty Bear...home port will be at the Beacon Harbour out of St. Catharines. I'm hoping we will find a trawler and have her home around July or Aug. We liked the layout of the Albins and Marine Trader. We stumbled upon an Albin palm beach a couple of days ago. Any thoughts on the Palm?
Old 04-16-2012, 12:24 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Did you get pics? Of either vessel? The Albins are good, I like the Marine Traders.
Old 04-16-2012, 12:25 AM   #20
Veteran Member

I know where the Beacon Marina is. Its a nice facility. Have you been boating in the area for a while?