Essential Electronics

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I recently updated the electronics on my boat. The desire to have radar pretty much drove my decisions, and I really wanted one of the new generation digital radars.

I ended up with a Garmin Fantom radar and a new Garmin MFD, and added an in-hull depth transducer and heading sensor and AIS input from the VHF. I installed the MFD on the flybridge and mirror it on my tablet at the lower helm.

I'm very pleased with the results. The doppler radar highlights moving targets, and the MFD offers a wide variety of viewing options. I didn't have a lot of experience with radar prior to this but the integration with the charts is impressive, with lots of different viewing options - split screens, overlays, etc. If you've got the budget an integrated package like this is the way to go IMO.

More details on my choices and rationale are here:. https://boatingadventuresblog.wordpress.com/2018/11/04/electronics/

I use a large iPad Pro and a Ram Mount. I installed a Ram ball socket at each helm so switching the iPad/mount between stations is simple. While I use the iPad extensively with Aqua Map as a backup to the MFDs, there are a couple of challenges.

1). I have trouble keeping the iPad charged using a standard cigarette lighter DC source. Aquamaps—even running alone and with screen brightness turned down—runs the iPad down faster than the charger can keep up. My solution is to use my wife’s iPad Pro when mine quits. :rolleyes:

2). Screen brightness on a sunny day is also an issue and I find myself frequently pulling the iPad out of the mount to read it.

I’m sure there are better workarounds for both of these issues.

No experience with wireless radar but I installed the Furuno NXT “Doppler” radar and love it.

Revised list based in great input:

1) Functional depth sounder at both station.
2) MFD Chart plotter that I can move between stations.
3) Radar with dedicated display that I can move to both stations.
4) AIS B transponder.

I would like to use two ruggatized, etra bright apple laptops or tablets with all of this functionality installed on both. That way when I get caught in a cloud bank I can have a dedicated radar display with no extraneous stuff on it and have my chart plotter next to it. I don't think I would normally plan to sail at night but things sometimes workout other than as planned.

Does anyone have experience with the Furuno DRSW4 Wireless radar? ($775 after rebate)

I think that if you want a display that you can move between stations that limits your options a bit. All our situations are different. I primarily use my pilothouse as a helm station and occasionally use the flybridge. I have two MFDs in the PH and one on the flybridge. If I was starting from scratch today, I think I would consider using permanent MFDs in the PH and then wireless for the flybridge as needed. I'm certainly not going to be piloting in a situation where I need radar from the flybridge when I have a warm and cozy PH available.

I also have a vague memory of Darren from PacificNWboater.com doing a recent YouTube review of that Furuno wireless radar. He might chime in...

1). I have trouble keeping the iPad charged using a standard cigarette lighter DC source. Aquamaps—even running alone and with screen brightness turned down—runs the iPad down faster than the charger can keep up. My solution is to use my wife’s iPad Pro when mine quits. :rolleyes:

I had the same problem with my iPad on the boat until I bought this. It will deliver 2.4amps per outlet which is what my iPad likes for charging.

However, I just bought a new Pixel 3 phone by Google. It uses a USB-C plug and will charge at an amazing 18W. So even with with the 24W charger above (12W per outlet) I'm not charging my phone as fast as possible. I may end up buying this 12v adapter that will deliver 18W per outlet. Of course, the USB-C is great for my phone, but I would need other cords or an adapter to charge my other devices.

FWIW, I also have 110v outlets in the boat that have built in USB chargers. They also will only charge at about 2 amps so can't keep up with an iPad that is actively being used. Even to read TF.

Thanks, Dave. I’ve used a 2.4-amp charger plugged into the 110 inverter outlet and the iPad still runs down—albeit more slowly. I tend to notice this when GPS-related apps are running. It happens with both our iPad Pros. Maybe time to call Apple.

Thanks, Dave. I’ve used a 2.4-amp charger plugged into the 110 inverter outlet and the iPad still runs down—albeit more slowly. I tend to notice this when GPS-related apps are running. It happens with both our iPad Pros. Maybe time to call Apple.

Could be that the iPad's are getting tired? I find that even with my external GPS dongle (I don't have a cell enabled iPad so no internal GPS) I can maintain the charge while using a navigation app when I'm using the 2.4 amp outlet.

There are no essential electronics, but they sure save time. You're buying a 40 year old boat. Using it locally, it doesn't need to be equipped with all the bells and whistles unless you're going to use them or you're trying to keep up with the Jones.
An autopilot is the most useful. It's like having another person aboard. Radar if you're going out at night or in the fog. A good GPS receiver will give speed so you don't kneed a knotmeter if you have that. You should have a basic marine radio and maybe a CB if a lot of locals use them.

If you stay out of tight places you won't need a new depth finder. And if you go into shallows a person on the bow is handier.
Enjoy the boat first. There will be plenty of things to spend money on later.
Also a lot of good electronics can be bought used. Many on ebay. Electronic installers often have used equipment that is serviceable. Marine radar hasn't changed much since WWII unless you spend lots of money. I have a 35 year old Koden as backup, still works. On the other hand, Furuno is the best radar I ever used.

This is a most timely thread; the only instrument Sea Biscuit had was a decent Lowrance sounder. We have decided to keep that as a completely separate system. We might be able to network it to the plotter; will update this.

This is what we are fitting:

1 x Garmin GPSMAP 952xs GPS/Sounder combo (but not using the sounder)
1 x Garmin GMR 18HD+ radar scanner
1 x Garmin VHF110i VHF radio
1 x Raymarine AIS700 Class-B AIS transceiver
1 x NMEA2000 network kit
1 x Autopilot (still researching this)
1 x ship's compass
2 x horns

We have a complete redundant Navionics/Garmin GLO plotter on an iPad; with our 240V system, we *think* keeping it charged will be OK, but will be testing.

Thanks to the OP for starting this thread!

This is what we are fitting:

1 x Garmin GPSMAP 952xs GPS/Sounder combo (but not using the sounder)
1 x Garmin GMR 18HD+ radar scanner
1 x Garmin VHF110i VHF radio
1 x Raymarine AIS700 Class-B AIS transceiver
1 x NMEA2000 network kit
1 x Autopilot (still researching this)
1 x ship's compass
2 x horns
This will make for a very nice setup. May I ask why you're opting for the Raymarine AIS vs Garmin? Is it a compatibility issue in Australia? The reason I ask, and potentially useful for others undertaking a refit to know, is that when you perform a software update through your Garmin plotter it updates all of the Garmin gear in your system that has an update available. Obviously it will not update another brand component.

Don't skimp on electronics for the flybridge; you may find that you enjoy running the boat upstairs, especially in the summer. Having said that, our radar only displays at the lower helm. Inside is where we are on a cold, foggy morning.

I am surprised how many people consider radar more valuable than AIS. On our last 18 month cruise, I wished for radar 1 day but used AIS all the time.

Then again I spend a lot of time in the ICW and only had dense fog one day in 18 months. If I cruised somewhere with more fog, I probably would want radar too. I found almost every large boat transmitted AIS, and it is mostly the large ones I am worried about when I am offshore or trying to see around corners in the ICW.

My priority would be:

Must have:
Depth at both helms
VHF
Computer or Ipad (as chart plotter)

Really want:
Autopilot
AIS
Anchor Alarm (I like mine built into my AIS)

Nice to have, but can easily live without:
Radar
Knot Meter
Wind Instrument
Dedicated Chart plotter

May I ask why you're opting for the Raymarine AIS vs Garmin?

According to our technician, the Raymarine product will work perfectly with the Garmin VHF radio and be able to overlay its signals on the Garmin radar display and over both radar and chartplotter, via the NMEA2000 network. He recommended the Raymarine AIS over the Garmin equivalent (which is not released yet in Australia, AFAIK).

According to him, the Raymarine unit is tried and true and works perfectly. I will most definitely be testing this.

Originally Posted by angus99 View Post

Could be that the iPad's are getting tired? I find that even with my external GPS dongle (I don't have a cell enabled iPad so no internal GPS) I can maintain the charge while using a navigation app when I'm using the 2.4 amp outlet.

My i-pad also stays charged if used constantly underway pluged in to the cigarette lighter.

Last edited:
I am surprised how many people consider radar more valuable than AIS. On our last 18 month cruise, I wished for radar 1 day but used AIS all the time.

I think the question of radar comes down to where you cruise. I simply couldn't imagine a boat without it, but that's reflective of where I boat.

AIS is nice to have all the time - no argument there, but I think the key phrase is "nice to have".

Radar, when you need it, is a must-have. Otherwise you need to stay at home.

Then again I spend a lot of time in the ICW and only had dense fog one day in 18 months. If I cruised somewhere with more fog, I probably would want radar too. I found almost every large boat transmitted AIS, and it is mostly the large ones I am worried about when I am offshore or trying to see around corners in the ICW.

FWIW, when we went from Annapolis to Charleston and back for last winter... we didn't see very many boats in the ICW transmitting an AIS signal. Didn't see all that many "large" boats, either, but that might be a matter of defining "large."

AIS was VERY useful for meeting tugs and barges along the way, though.

-Chris

didn't see very many boats in the ICW transmitting an AIS signal. Didn't see all that many "large" boats, either, but that might be a matter of defining "large."

AIS was VERY useful for meeting tugs and barges along the way, though.

-Chris

By "large" I mean tugs in the ICW and freighters or commercial fishing boats offshore.

In this part of the world, you pass a dozen or more tugs/barges in the ICW every day. It is very nice to be able to see them around corners and call them by name.

Offshore at night or in fog, I am mainly worried about fast-moving commercial boats. In the US, all of them transmit AIS in my experience.

Nowadays, you can get AIS receive in a VHF radio.

More than enough for my needs compared to RADAR.

using "FindShip app"

I'm usually within cell phone range so I use a free app called FindShip. It is especially usefull when going through Active Pass to spot the BC Ferries.

FindShip is a free app. I use it on my phone when I am in shiping lanes or have an interest in commercial traffic around me.

I think the question of radar comes down to where you cruise. I simply couldn't imagine a boat without it, but that's reflective of where I boat.

AIS is nice to have all the time - no argument there, but I think the key phrase is "nice to have".

Radar, when you need it, is a must-have. Otherwise you need to stay at home.

I agree. I don’t have or need either.
Fog is extremely rare in this area. I have never seen fog on the water while boating.
Traffic is very sparse. I can travel all day without seeing another boat.

I have nothing against radar or AIS (I transmit AIS) but I probably would rarely turn them on if they were already installed in the boat. There is plenty enough for me to look at without more electronics.

We also came from Sail, and installed the Wireless GNX Garmin Apparent/Wind speed, and through the Nema 200 network have it at both helms, you never really give up old habits. The only difference from when we were sailing is I have it set up to give me true wind rather than apparent. it is good to know that you have 20 knots about to come across your beam. Cheers

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom