Old 08-07-2009, 04:32 AM   #21
FF
Guru

RE: Equalization

"You really should be taking the readings with the batteries at rest with nothing, including the charger, on them"

AND you must wait 24 hours for the test to be valid.

Folks in a hurry will get rid of the higher surface charge with a tail light sized bulb and about 10 min of light. Do not test till after the bulb is disconnected.

FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 10:57 AM   #22
Guru

After three years with Pulsators, my house 4 D battery has to be replaced. I just replaced four 6 volt house batteries after four years also fitted with Pulsators. I have an old fashioned "dumb" charger so that may be why the Pulsators do not work. Every time I think about installing a "smart" charger I am discouraged by all the negative comments for all the different makes of chargers. Hey, at least I know what I got.

ancora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 12:04 PM   #23
Guru

Vessel Name: Anastasia III
Vessel Model: Krogen 42

7 years ago, I replaced my house and starting banks with Lifeline AGM's, installed a*Newmar smart charger and have had a pulser on them. Still all working fine with no attendance, other than to move the pulser from one bank to the other every 3-4 months.

Here's what I use:
http://www.batterystuff.com/battery-...ation/12-volt/*12V 1.3A plus model

http://www.newmarpower.com/Phase_Three/Phase_Three.html
Keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 09:44 AM   #24
Guru

I have to replace a 4 D house battery and I would like to go with a battery I can physically handle. Capacity is no problem as my house bank is comprised of four 6 volt golf cart batteries and the 4 D. Starting batteries are a separate bank. Can I put in a smaller*size battery without screwing up the system?
Old 08-15-2009, 04:41 AM   #25
FF
Guru

The current choice for starts is the size 31.

These starts are used on many large trucks , where the CCA is huge in winter, may take a pair for them.

Unfortunatly LEAD is what does the work, so a smaller lighter bat set will not have the capacity of the old huge 8D or 4D

The Trojan L -16 , if you have the height and is paired for 12V.Being 6 V batts they are more efficient per footprint as the internal seperation is less , more lead.

If you have the bucks for a REAL, 150-200A recharge setup , the Odesy thin plate deep cycles might be worth the bucks as the useable amps per discharge can be higher.

These can be brought down to 30% and if quickly recharged do not suffer fewer cycle life.

You will usually (on the hook) cycle wet batts from 80% down to 50% (of 20 hour rate).

The special thin plates may go from 90% down to 30% , a double of useful discharge with little more charge time.

Depends how you cruise , how you value no noisemaker time , and how many boat bucks you can"invest".

FF
Old 08-20-2009, 09:31 AM   #26
Guru

I pulled out the 4 D battery and will replace it with two 6 volt golf cart batteries. This will give my house bank six golf cart batteries working together. I never was comfortable with putting a 4 D battery in parallel with six volt golf cart batteries, but that's the way the boat was set up. Hey, it only took me ten years to figure it out.
Old 08-22-2009, 03:16 AM   #27
FF
Guru

You may have problems with the age difference of the house set.

The old way of keeping banks ( Rotary 1-2 switch) might be advisable ,

although today the Big Bank ,all used at once is the modern house management scheme.

FF
Old 03-20-2010, 06:54 PM   #28

I have a Xantrex Inverter Charger (3.0) and is brand new. The other one took a dump after just 2.5 years of use. Called the company and they said, sorry, out of warrantee. Buy a new one.

I was told by a friend of mine that equalizing the batteries slowly damages them. I see some recommendations in this thread of equalizing once a month.
Does equalizing slowly damage or diminish the wet cell battery?
If not, how often should one "equalize"?
Taras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 10:52 AM   #29
Scraping Paint

City: -

According to the very experienced marine electrical shop we use, how often you equalize will depend on your battery setup and how you use your boat. We use ours year round but have very low electrical demands on the system. Up till now the boat has had its stock electrical system consisting of two 8D lead-acid batteries (plus a 4D for the generator).* We are changing this setup next week but the system operation and usage will remain unchanged.

Our batteries are charged continuously via a 3-stage charger (with two echo chargers) on a Heart Freedom 25 inverter/charger we had installed some ten years ago Based on our battery setup and usage it was recommended that we equalize the batteries once or twice a year, which we do (usually once). The owner of the shop said some people recommend equalizing more often but in all the years his father and now he have been in the business he has not found more frequent equalization to be beneficial to a system like ours given our usage.

So there would appear to be no "one size fits all" answer to your question. I would suggest you do as we did, and get advice on equalizing from a reputable and experienced marine electrical shop, preferably one familiar with your boat's battery setup and how you use its electrical system.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 04:47 AM   #30
FF
Guru

The service guys plug in the charger for a few days at least twice during that period. I top off the batteries in the Spring and equalize

In the cold the self discharge is a bit lower , but a new battery will loose about 1% per day , an old batt almost 3% PER DAY.

AS the bats age the number of times the set needs to be recharged in increases.