Old 12-27-2012, 08:19 AM   #1
Guru

City: Pensacola
Epirb

Santa brought me an EPIRB. Question is where should I mount it? Cat I auto.
Thoughts?

Blue Heron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 08:48 AM   #2
Guru

City: Perth
Vessel Name: M/V SOLSTICE
Vessel Model: Hendo "Special"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Heron View Post
Thoughts?
In the boat :-D

iPad Forum Runner

Old 12-27-2012, 08:57 AM   #3
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Heron View Post
Thoughts?
Assuming you bought it new, didn't it come with suggestions on where to mount it?

If not, I would think near where you keep your PFDs, flares and such. Somewhere where you can grab it as you're getting off the boat in an emergency.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 09:21 AM   #4
Guru

It has some suggestion. " outter hull but mindful of overhangs and cabin roofs.

I guess I am looking for opinion on higher on the boat near fly bridge or on the cabin exterior

One thought on lower would be to guarantee it will deploy if a capsize or broached situation.

Looking for what others have done.
Old 12-27-2012, 09:54 AM   #5

City: Gulf Shores, Alabama
Vessel Name: Holly Day
Vessel Model: Marine Trader 44
On the commercial boats I operate the primary consideration is that the Cat I EPIRB be in a location where in case of sinking it can float free without becoming entangled with stuff around it. That's what the Coastie inspectors look for.
Captain K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 01:39 PM   #6
Guru

City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
Agree with Cap't K. Some place where it can be grabbed on the run, if needed. Might want to also include in your passager safety brief who would be responsible to grab it. Remember things tend to move very fast during an emergency....
Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/
Alaskan Sea-Duction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 03:41 PM   #7
Guru

Thanks Capt K and Sea Duction

Exactly the info I was looking for. I'm think lower towards the water line on the way out if the Sundeck.
Old 12-27-2012, 04:50 PM   #8
Guru

Vessel Name: Anastasia III
Vessel Model: Krogen 42
First things first... register it!
Keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 05:23 PM   #9
Guru

City: Cape Cod, MA
Vessel Name: Island Seeker
Vessel Model: Willard 36 Sedan
Mine is high, on the bridge where it won't have too many things to tangle with should it deploy automatically but mostly to keep thieves from grabbing it.
Brooksie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 09:43 PM   #10
JAT
Guru

Vessel Name: Just a Tinch
Vessel Model: Gulfstar 44 MC
Frankly, I have kept ours loose....it is with our ditch bag...which is right where I need it.
I would prefer to deploy it after we are clear of the boat if its going down...so it can tell the satellite where we are, not where the boat sank....
JAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 10:46 PM   #11
Veteran Member

City: Santa Barbara, California
Vessel Name: Fleur De Lys
Vessel Model: 1988 Nova 36 Sundeck
I have been pondering this exact question. The admiral has her opinions also. Lots of good points about in the ditch bag option. However i am leaning towards the have it release automatically (the coasties make rules for the commercial guys for a reason). My reasoning is for a worst case scenario: cruising along at 8 kt at night, someone else at the helm, i am asleep below, semi submerged container rips the side of my boat open from stem to stern. I may be lucky to get out of the boat before it sinks in 1 to 5 minutes. If i forget the ditch in my stupor i am all alone with no EPIRB. i have quick release shackle on my dinghy for this very scenario. I am going to mount mine on the side of the fly bridge just above the side deck and below the canvas where it can be reached from deck if needed but will float free and is out of harms way. Mine will tell the satelite where i am and it has a strobe so i am going to go get it with my dinghy if i am able.
Third-Reef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 06:32 AM   #12
FF
Guru

In a good place to float free (if it is that type) but out of sight/reach of dock walkers.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 06:43 AM   #13
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Third-Reef View Post
I have been pondering this exact question. The admiral has her opinions also. Lots of good points about in the ditch bag option. However i am leaning towards the have it release automatically (the coasties make rules for the commercial guys for a reason). My reasoning is for a worst case scenario: cruising along at 8 kt at night, someone else at the helm, i am asleep below, semi submerged container rips the side of my boat open from stem to stern. I may be lucky to get out of the boat before it sinks in 1 to 5 minutes. If i forget the ditch in my stupor i am all alone with no EPIRB. i have quick release shackle on my dinghy for this very scenario. I am going to mount mine on the side of the fly bridge just above the side deck and below the canvas where it can be reached from deck if needed but will float free and is out of harms way. Mine will tell the satelite where i am and it has a strobe so i am going to go get it with my dinghy if i am able.
Good points except the part I highlighted (many Coastie rulemakers have little rescue experience)......plus most rules are made in haste after some public outcry about something or other...

If you are worried about dockwalkers...just mount it while underway...
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 09:49 AM   #14
Guru

Third Reef, I like that idea.

Mine is auto deployed at hydrostatic depth.

I plan on using PLB's on my life vests for individual accountability.

Will stow the EPIRB when in port.
Old 12-28-2012, 12:35 PM   #15
Guru

Agree with Keith!

If your unit has the capability to accept coordinates from your GPS, I would very highly recommend you wire this in to your unit. What happens is your EPIRB will take a reading from your GPS X number of times a second. If it is activated the first thing it flashes out is the very last reading it got from the GPS, along with your vessel information. Then it starts to search for satellites, which can take up to 5 minutes. The USCG will have a fix on you based on the info the GPS gives the EPIRB.
Old 12-28-2012, 02:04 PM   #16
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskan Sea-Duction View Post
Agree with Keith!

If your unit has the capability to accept coordinates from your GPS, I would very highly recommend you wire this in to your unit. What happens is your EPIRB will take a reading from your GPS X number of times a second. If it is activated the first thing it flashes out is the very last reading it got from the GPS, along with your vessel information. Then it starts to search for satellites, which can take up to 5 minutes. The USCG will have a fix on you based on the info the GPS gives the EPIRB.
If 5 minutes makes a difference in your rescue plans...you're cutting things a might close.

Survival is something that happens with a rough plan beforehand...

For coastal Noth American cruising even a NON-GPS EPIRB is just fine...again if you are worried about 5 minutes to 1/2 hour in your survival plans...you better rethink them because resuers don't always make the clock you are worried about.

In short...all the tech in the world may let you down when the chips fly...don't bet your life on seconds, minutes, or even a few hours....be prepared for the worst...at least 24hrs afloat before rescue.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 07:33 PM   #17
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskan Sea-Duction View Post
Agree with Keith!

If your unit has the capability to accept coordinates from your GPS, I would very highly recommend you wire this in to your unit. What happens is your EPIRB will take a reading from your GPS X number of times a second. If it is activated the first thing it flashes out is the very last reading it got from the GPS...
The difference between the main 2 models of Epirb sold here is the more expensive version has its own built in GPS which on activation signals position, quite independent of any onboard GPS system.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 09:13 PM   #18
Guru

Mine has its own GPS
Old 12-28-2012, 10:59 PM   #19
Guru

Some with thei own GPS can also be hooked up as i described to get the position out there faster. Most EPIRBs will find not know the exact position until it is activated. Meaning it sends out the first message with only your boat information, not the position. However, if your unit is hooked up to your GPS, the first message will be with your boat information to include your position.

PSNEELD,

I respectivly disagree. I have been involved in many SAR and the extra time could mean the differance between living and drowning.
Old 12-28-2012, 11:18 PM   #20
Guru

Until now I was unaware the EPIRB to onboard GPS connection even existed. It certainly exists between my GPS and VHF with DSC, the latter sounds an alarm if I turn off the GPS.

BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote