Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 01-11-2015, 08:33 PM   #21
TF Site Team
 
ksanders's Avatar
 
City: SEWARD ALASKA
Country: USA
Vessel Name: LISAS WAY
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 3,952
Here's a photo from my cockpit.

Again, LIVE.

This camera thig is not difficult.

It can be done with off the shelf, inexpensive, consumer programmable equipment.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	64.9 KB
ID:	36273  
__________________
Advertisement

__________________
Kevin Sanders
Bayliner 4788
Seward, Alaska
www.mvlisasway.com
ksanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 11:00 PM   #22
Guru


 
City: Full-time onboard
Country: USA
Vessel Model: Trawler
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 937
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reveille View Post
Have you looked at the Blue Seas Systems
Dual USB Charger Socket
It's less expensive to go with 12v and a USB insert - those things are dirt cheap. I like the options that having 12v gives for using other devices in the engine room too although that will likely never happen.

I'll upload a couple of real engine room pictures taken while underway. The cool thing is that this is in the middle of the night with every light in the engine room off. You lose color with the lights off but the image is obviously great for the need. The engine room here is 100% pitch black. Nothing is visible by eye here.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 2.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	77.7 KB
ID:	36280   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 3.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	107.6 KB
ID:	36281  
__________________

Jeffrey S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 11:38 PM   #23
TF Site Team
 
ksanders's Avatar
 
City: SEWARD ALASKA
Country: USA
Vessel Name: LISAS WAY
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 3,952
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey S View Post

I'll upload a couple of real engine room pictures taken while underway. The cool thing is that this is in the middle of the night with every light in the engine room off. You lose color with the lights off but the image is obviously great for the need. The engine room here is 100% pitch black. Nothing is visible by eye here.
Very nice!

Can you access your cameras when you are not on the boat?
__________________
Kevin Sanders
Bayliner 4788
Seward, Alaska
www.mvlisasway.com
ksanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 12:09 AM   #24
Guru


 
City: Full-time onboard
Country: USA
Vessel Model: Trawler
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 937
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksanders View Post
Can you access your cameras when you are not on the boat?
Yes, but that's a very tricky thing that requires a fair amount of TCP/IP network understanding about port forwarding and router setup. It's made even more difficult if you have a typical high gain WiFi modem outside for picking up weak signals because you have to do two port forwards keeping track of which port is being used where. For 99% of use, I would not consider this to be any type of acceptable remote monitoring camera because the setup for it would be a killer and very few people could do it.
Jeffrey S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 12:56 AM   #25
TF Site Team
 
ksanders's Avatar
 
City: SEWARD ALASKA
Country: USA
Vessel Name: LISAS WAY
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 3,952
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey S View Post
Yes, but that's a very tricky thing that requires a fair amount of TCP/IP network understanding about port forwarding and router setup. It's made even more difficult if you have a typical high gain WiFi modem outside for picking up weak signals because you have to do two port forwards keeping track of which port is being used where. For 99% of use, I would not consider this to be any type of acceptable remote monitoring camera because the setup for it would be a killer and very few people could do it.
Oh

I can access my cameras from outside my boat. I am over 800 miles from my boat and haven't been on it since October.

$79 each on amazon.com for the cameras. Here's a live shot looking out at the cockpit, and another live shot of the inside of my salon.

Everybody thinks this is hard, like its some kind of TCPIP magic. Its simple, and cheap to set up a network on your boat and cameras, and an alarm system. This is all consumer grade stuff. Pretty much plug and play. Again, it is designed for the average consumer to set up and use.

Night vision too
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cockpit.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	19.3 KB
ID:	36284   Click image for larger version

Name:	salon.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	30.3 KB
ID:	36285  
__________________
Kevin Sanders
Bayliner 4788
Seward, Alaska
www.mvlisasway.com
ksanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 05:43 AM   #26
Guru
 
siestakey's Avatar
 
City: Sarasota,FL/Thomasville,GA
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Steppin Stone IV
Vessel Model: Marine Trader Kelly Trawler 46
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 1,271
Send a message via Skype™ to siestakey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reveille View Post
Have you looked at the Blue Seas Systems
Dual USB Charger Socket
PN 1016
https://www.bluesea.com/products/101...Charger_Socket
Rev those are a great find thanks!!!
siestakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 05:47 AM   #27
Guru
 
siestakey's Avatar
 
City: Sarasota,FL/Thomasville,GA
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Steppin Stone IV
Vessel Model: Marine Trader Kelly Trawler 46
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 1,271
Send a message via Skype™ to siestakey
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksanders View Post
Oh

I can access my cameras from outside my boat. I am over 800 miles from my boat and haven't been on it since October.

$79 each on amazon.com for the cameras. Here's a live shot looking out at the cockpit, and another live shot of the inside of my salon.

Everybody thinks this is hard, like its some kind of TCPIP magic. Its simple, and cheap to set up a network on your boat and cameras, and an alarm system. This is all consumer grade stuff. Pretty much plug and play. Again, it is designed for the average consumer to set up and use.

Night vision too
great set up going to be a top priority project for me
siestakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 07:36 AM   #28
Guru
 
jleonard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 2,734
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey S View Post
Foscam Fl1891W

They're typically about $50 - the price goes up and down on Amazon based on some world event or something.

They work exceptionally well in total darkness and have full tilt/swivel control. There are a lot of apps that can control these cams too. Many have presets for position which is a very nice feature - tap to see the Racors; tap again to see the raw water pump.
I just bought 2 of these thru the Foscam website as a kit with a router (because I don't have one already on the boat) and it was a little cheaper than buying separately via Amazon. My plan is to set this all up at home, then install it on the boat in the spring.
__________________
Jay Leonard
Attitude Adjustment
40 Albin
Mystic,Ct
jleonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 07:57 AM   #29
Guru


 
City: Full-time onboard
Country: USA
Vessel Model: Trawler
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 937
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksanders View Post
Everybody thinks this is hard, like its some kind of TCPIP magic.
It is hard. And the setup is very difficult. You can purchase a webcam made to be an online camera. But in doing that, you're giving up other capabilities typically.

You didn't mention what exactly you purchased - just that you could get it at Amazon. Could you give the actual device name/model?
Jeffrey S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 09:04 AM   #30
Guru
 
kthoennes's Avatar
 
City: Sioux Falls, South Dakota
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Xanadu
Vessel Model: Mainship 37 Motor Yacht
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 857
I think it's one of those things where if you're lucky with the initial configuration everything might work, but in my experience it is very difficult. Port forwarding, trying to hold a static IP number, subnet mask settings, dns settings, trying to make the IP number accessible or visible from a remote site - it can be incredibly frustrating. And then one power outage and you lose access or some of the settings, or your cam jumps to your neighbor's WiFi signal and you lose access because the ports don't match. In my opinion until cam designers cut through that tech maze, remote access wireless web cams are still not ready for regular people.
kthoennes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 09:28 AM   #31
TF Site Team
 
ksanders's Avatar
 
City: SEWARD ALASKA
Country: USA
Vessel Name: LISAS WAY
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 3,952
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey S View Post
It is hard. And the setup is very difficult. You can purchase a webcam made to be an online camera. But in doing that, you're giving up other capabilities typically.

You didn't mention what exactly you purchased - just that you could get it at Amazon. Could you give the actual device name/model?
The cameras are Dlink units, and they went down in price.

Amazon.com : D-Link Wireless Day/Night Network Surveillance Camera with mydlink-Enabled (DCS-932L) : Webcams : Camera & Photo

The router is a cradlepoint unit.

http://www.amazon.com/MBR1200B-Mobil...ds=cradlepoint

It can either use WIFI as its LAN, or even easier I took it, and walked into my cellular provider's store and they outfitted me with a USB cellular modem that works on the shared data plan I already have.


As to giving up capabilities using a online camera, at least in the case of the cameras I mentioned that's an untruth. Once the cameras have an IP address, you can put that address in your browser and access them directly, with or without an external network connection.

Again, consumer grade equipment. Cheap, easy.

I am still trying to figure out why people in the "industry" seem to try to make this more difficult than it is. I'm sure there are allot of very complex things in the IT world. Fortunately this is not one of them.
__________________
Kevin Sanders
Bayliner 4788
Seward, Alaska
www.mvlisasway.com
ksanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 09:35 AM   #32
TF Site Team
 
ksanders's Avatar
 
City: SEWARD ALASKA
Country: USA
Vessel Name: LISAS WAY
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 3,952
Quote:
Originally Posted by kthoennes View Post
I think it's one of those things where if you're lucky with the initial configuration everything might work, but in my experience it is very difficult. Port forwarding, trying to hold a static IP number, subnet mask settings, dns settings, trying to make the IP number accessible or visible from a remote site - it can be incredibly frustrating. And then one power outage and you lose access or some of the settings, or your cam jumps to your neighbor's WiFi signal and you lose access because the ports don't match. In my opinion until cam designers cut through that tech maze, remote access wireless web cams are still not ready for regular people.
The world of port forwarding is dead, gone forever.

Port forwarding was a PITA, but the world has gone way beyond that now.

See my post above.
__________________
Kevin Sanders
Bayliner 4788
Seward, Alaska
www.mvlisasway.com
ksanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 09:49 AM   #33
Guru


 
City: Full-time onboard
Country: USA
Vessel Model: Trawler
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 937
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksanders View Post
It can either use WIFI as its LAN, or even easier I took it, and walked into my cellular provider's store and they outfitted me with a USB cellular modem that works on the shared data plan I already have.
It's that "or" there that makes all the difference in the world.

Now the CradlePoint can be making some of that better but for many people who want a total boat LAN that can be attached over high-gain WiFi or cellular (without changing connections on each device), port forwarding is about the only way to accomplish the ability to expose the local TCP port onto the WAN - I can't think of a technical way around it. The moment you give up on the local LAN and use a cellular device, then the whole picture changes because the cellular device is by nature, on the WAN directly and is serving a fully discoverable TCP/IP address. You can fool yourself into thinking that the cellular device like a MiFi might be providing routing but that is much, much different than the requirement, I believe, of a 2015 boat.

Independent of that (and this is getting way to technical and confusing), if that works for you, great. That "or" in the architecture would cause a problem for most of the devices I have connected on my boat.
Jeffrey S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 09:58 AM   #34
TF Site Team
 
ksanders's Avatar
 
City: SEWARD ALASKA
Country: USA
Vessel Name: LISAS WAY
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 3,952
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey S View Post
It's that "or" there that makes all the difference in the world.

Now the CradlePoint can be making some of that better but for many people who want a total boat LAN that can be attached over high-gain WiFi or cellular (without changing connections on each device), port forwarding is about the only way to accomplish the ability to expose the local TCP port onto the WAN - I can't think of a technical way around it. The moment you give up on the local LAN and use a cellular device, then the whole picture changes because the cellular device is by nature, on the WAN directly and is serving a fully discoverable TCP/IP address. You can fool yourself into thinking that the cellular device like a MiFi might be providing routing but that is much, much different than the requirement, I believe, of a 2015 boat.

Independent of that (and this is getting way to technical and confusing), if that works for you, great. That "or" in the architecture would cause a problem for most of the devices I have connected on my boat.
Jeff, you are 100% incorrect in your statement. Flat wrong.

The cellular system (at least the ones I've tested) provides a non routable address. There is NO way for an outside device to access your boats LAN using a cellular modem.

Secondly the cradlepoint unit can use WIFI as its WAN connection AND cellular. It can choose a priority. If WIFI is available then that is the primary connection. If WIFI is not available then it will fail over to cellular.

Gotta catch up with technology my friend.
__________________
Kevin Sanders
Bayliner 4788
Seward, Alaska
www.mvlisasway.com
ksanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 11:03 AM   #35
Guru


 
City: Full-time onboard
Country: USA
Vessel Model: Trawler
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 937
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksanders View Post
Gotta catch up with technology my friend.
You're right. Why would I know anything about this?

I'm glad it works for you - perhaps you should create a full description of exactly how to set it all up and help everyone else do it.
Jeffrey S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 11:04 AM   #36
TF Site Team
 
FlyWright's Avatar
 
City: California Delta and SF Bay
Country: Sacramento, CA, USA (boat in Vallejo)
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 10,162
There's an interesting video on that Amazon camera page that shows how the new Dlink "Zero Configuration" simplifies the connections. It looks so simple, I think even I could do it.

Here's another instructional, albeit a little hokie, video.

__________________
Al

Custom Google Trawler Forum Search
FlyWright is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 11:09 AM   #37
TF Site Team
 
ksanders's Avatar
 
City: SEWARD ALASKA
Country: USA
Vessel Name: LISAS WAY
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 3,952
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyWright View Post
There's an interesting video on that Amazon camera page that shows just how easy the new Dlink Zero Configuration simplifies the connections. It looks so simple, I think even I could do it.
Thank you Al!
__________________
Kevin Sanders
Bayliner 4788
Seward, Alaska
www.mvlisasway.com
ksanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 11:18 AM   #38
TF Site Team
 
ksanders's Avatar
 
City: SEWARD ALASKA
Country: USA
Vessel Name: LISAS WAY
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 3,952
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey S View Post
You're right. Why would I know anything about this?

I'm glad it works for you - perhaps you should create a full description of exactly how to set it all up and help everyone else do it.
OK

Router Instructions

1. if you want LTE cellular connection go to your providers store and buy a usb modem.
2. Take the router out of the box
3. Locate the router quick start guide
4. Follow the instructions

Camera Instructions

1. Take the camera out of the box
2. Locate the quick start guide
3. Follow the instructions
__________________
Kevin Sanders
Bayliner 4788
Seward, Alaska
www.mvlisasway.com
ksanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 09:32 PM   #39
Senior Member
 
drb1025's Avatar
 
City: Bellevue, WA
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Fiddler
Vessel Model: DeFever 46
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 497
Does the cellular modem use much data when its aways on? Does it only use data when you access it remotely? The wifi at my marina is total crap. I stopped using it altogether, but a cellular modem that uses minimal data may be the answer to remote boat monitoring.
drb1025 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 09:41 PM   #40
TF Site Team
 
ksanders's Avatar
 
City: SEWARD ALASKA
Country: USA
Vessel Name: LISAS WAY
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 3,952
Quote:
Originally Posted by drb1025 View Post
Does the cellular modem use much data when its aways on? Does it only use data when you access it remotely? The wifi at my marina is total crap. I stopped using it altogether, but a cellular modem that uses minimal data may be the answer to remote boat monitoring.
The Cellular modem does not use any data, but cameras do use some, but I honestly do not know how much data a camera uses.

What I do know is that it does not stream images all the time, only when you ask it to.
__________________

__________________
Kevin Sanders
Bayliner 4788
Seward, Alaska
www.mvlisasway.com
ksanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:14 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2006 - 2012