Old 04-14-2015, 02:02 PM   #1

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: Nordvind
Vessel Model: Nova Heritage 36
Engine Gauge Replacement

My gauges are branded Volvo. I have a few not working on the flybridge and my port temp gauge at the lower helm gives a wildly high reading.

Does anyone know if these Volvo gauges are compatible with either Teleflex or VDO?

Old 04-14-2015, 03:32 PM   #2
Guru

City: East Greenwich, RI
Vessel Name: Bella
Vessel Model: Mainship Pilot 34
Don't know if they are compatible but usually the gauge and the sender need to be matched. But you can usually just unscrew your Volvo sender and screw in the one that works with your Teleflex or VDO gauge, wire them up at both ends and voila!

David

djmarchand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 03:45 PM   #3

City: Seabrook Texas
Vessel Name: TheVenture
Vessel Model: 1985 Bestway Labelle Sundeck 40ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by tegdesign View Post
My gauges are branded Volvo. I have a few not working on the flybridge and my port temp gauge at the lower helm gives a wildly high reading.

Does anyone know if these Volvo gauges are compatible with either Teleflex or VDO?

I too have Volvo Penta Gauges and for some reason I think they were made by VDO.
obthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 04:24 PM   #4
Guru

City: South FL
Vessel Name: Oliver
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 47 Hull# 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by obthomas View Post
I too have Volvo Penta Gauges and for some reason I think they were made by VDO.

That's what I thought too.
Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
N4712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 04:31 PM   #5
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. t. Call Lauderdale Speedometer. They can tell you and will probably have the stuff to fix you up. Lauderdale Speedometer and Compass
Old 04-14-2015, 05:05 PM   #6
Guru

City: Maryland
Vessel Model: 42' Sportfish
I have begun a process of engine gauge replacement, and while our engines are Cummins (mechanical) , some of what I'm discovering (I think) may apply. Perhaps tangential, at least...

First, our boat started with Faria analog gauges. I now learn their temp gauges (at least, probably others) work with Teleflex senders, which will usually have one wire from sender to display (signal/ohms).

The new temp gauge is from CruzPro and can be calibrated to an IR temp gun, but also gives the easier option to select from 5 choices (three VDO versions, Teleflex/Stewart Warner, and Cyberdyne).

Cummins engines are usually delivered with VDO senders, which usually have two wires (signal/ohms, and ground). Our senders have two wires. (I can't quite see well enough into where they live to find a part number...)

Our Faria gauge have always read low. When I selected the Teleflex option for the CruzPro gauges, they read equally low. Theory we're working on now is that there always has been a mismatch between temp sender (probably VDO) and gauge (wants Teleflex, and isn't user calibrate-able).

Over this coming weekend, I intend to experiment with the CruzPro settings, to see if a simple menu selection will cause more credible readings.

And then of course we'll double-check that with an IR temp gun anyway. There's a potential for a feeling of false precision with digital gauges, so I'm not intending to overdue reliance on the gauges themselves. OTOH, the new gauges also have built-in hi and lo alarms, and also built-in backlighting at various levels... so I can also eventually remove some of the wiring behind our dash that's devoted to gauge lights.

If it matters, I've also already switched to Aetna digital tachs. They only wanted to know how many gear teeth, simple menu setting, instant accuracy. The Faria calibration process was a lot of trial-and-error, with accuracy at one RPM level, increasing error the further away from that set point.

-Chris