Electronics Plugs & How to determine Brand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

texasnielsen

Vessel Name
Ray Sea Lady
Vessel Make
Sea Ray AC
It's been a while since I posted anything here.

Since my last visit on the forum I've relocated my express cruiser this past Spring (required a heavy equipment 20T portable crane to retrieve her as all ramps and marina cranes were inaccessible). Went north to a new lake due to what was a sizably long and projected to continue drought. Almost immediately the area gets biblical flooding...

That relocation led to finding an incredible opportunity regarding the purchase of a new (to me) boat more along the lines of satisfying my long term plans to relocate in retirement to the gulf coast.

Although I spent many agonizing and sleepless nights debating the purchase of the boat ('87 Sea Ray 410AC) due to it not completely following the sage advice of it being the "next boat / last boat" theory (it has twin gasoline engines and not necessarily a "trawler-style" by anyone's standards). It was nonetheless an incredible price. (you would accuse me of lying if I divulged the purchase price). So, with a satisfactory survey, a very reasonable budget and a great deal of sweat to get it seaworthy to my standards, I am left with only the following to resolve.

Just prior to my purchase, some individuals boarded and made off with her electronics. Fortunately, they cleanly removed and didn't cut any of the power or data cords. Unfortunately, the prior owner could not locate any manuals which would of allowed me to purchase direct replacements.

So my question is this: does anyone know of a method or means of determining what make/model of chartplotter and GPS may of been installed by looking at the plugs which remain? If necessary, I can post up some photos this weekend when I am back at the marina to help ID what was stolen and perhaps find a used replacement on-line.

Thanks for your time.

I'm sure some pics would get some responses!

What brand is the GPS antenna? What brand is the depth transducer? More often than not, they are the same brand as the electronics they were attached to. Now whether that brand still makes product that uses those connectors is another issue. So what you would want to know then is what, when you cut the connector off, each color wire is for. Not knowing what may be involved in your boat or how old the electronics were, it may be more advisable to start afresh with new cabling.

The fact that the prior owner had no manuals and can't even remember what was in there (let alone the guy who bought the boat and his surveyor....??) may be one clue as to why it was so apparently cheap.

If I were replacing electronics I wouldn't worry about the cabling. Most likely it won't match the current manufacturer's equipment. For example the old Raymarine Seatalk cabling is no longer supported by Raymarine with equipment and you have to buy a converter to interface new Raymarine equipment to old.

Pick your new electronics based on the price and features that you want. Use the existing cable as a pull wire to pull new cable.

But if you post pictures someone can probably identify it. I know what old Seatalk and new Seatalk II Raymarine cable looks like.

David

Thanks for input fellas. Some good suggestions.

No brackets were left behind. There were no manuals on the electronics as they were apparently "lost" in ownership transfers. I purchased the vessel from an RV dealer who took her in trade on a diesel pusher RV. He wanted nothing to do with a boat (who knows why he took the trade, must of been one heck of a mark-up on the RV). My SAMS/CMS surveyor assured me of that all was sound absent normal wear and tear, some aesthetic parts and pieces (they also stole a chrome 6" bell as example) and the missing displays.

Anyway, I paid something less than .15 cents on the dollar for her and am thrilled with everything I got. Everything besides the electronics have been taken care of (minus the paint job). And I am still way below even 25% of it's value with what I've spent out of pocket. Figured I can buy a lot of gas with this savings versus the diesels I was looking at for the $100K+ more the diesels would have cost me. Since I am not venturing across the Atlantic, this appears to be a solid decision.

She gets hauled out next month for a bottom job. Will check out the transducer then. In the mean time I will check the antenna (didn't think of that) and get some photos this weekend.

At the very least, the idea of using existing cabling to pull new wiring will be a great benefit.

Thanks again.

ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1438573691.014148.jpgImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1438573716.360429.jpgImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1438573744.743662.jpgImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1438573769.222707.jpg

Raymarine antenna. Anyone phantom a guess on the three plugs?

~ Gary ~

Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum

It has been many years since I have seen a SAMS AMS survey report that did not include photos of all equipment on the boat.

signed ... a SAMS AMS

Nothing in the survey report?
What about the boat for sale listing and photos?
The antenna is obviously Raymarine. I would bet the GPS was Raymarine too.
Was that the only thing missing?
My $.02 would be to replace with new touchscreen equipt.

It has been many years since I have seen a SAMS AMS survey report that did not include photos of all equipment on the boat.

signed ... a SAMS AMS

Yes, that would be the norm. The critical part being " on the boat".
The electronics were stolen prior to my purchase or the survey...

After additional research, was able to determine that the stolen display was a Raymarine A60..

I would guess pic #2, the plug with 3 leads, to be for a depth
sounder. The ones I've had and re-plugged all had 3 conductors.
Still would need to know how many watts the transducer can take
without overloading.
Good luck

Ted

Thanks Ted. I think I have it solved.
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1438736672.737607.jpg

~ Gary ~

Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum

Back
Top Bottom