Old 10-06-2016, 02:18 PM   #41
Guru

City: Bayview
Vessel Name: Puffin
Vessel Model: Willard Vega 30
If you are ever down in Bellingham give me a ring and I will show you exactly what you are looking for as that is how it installed on Ebbtide.

I will PM you my number.

Bob
Old 10-06-2016, 02:51 PM   #42

City: Maple Ridge
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Cofer View Post
If you are ever down in Bellingham give me a ring and I will show you exactly what you are looking for as that is how it installed on Ebbtide.

I will PM you my number.

Bob
Thanks Bob, will for sure take you up on that!
Westcoastwannbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 09:34 AM   #43
Veteran Member

City: Tarpon Springs, Fl.
Vessel Name: Makin Memories
Vessel Model: 1987 41' President
We have a Garmin 2010C Chartplotter that came with our boat upon purchase but cannot be updated according to Garmin. My question is, "does anyone use a Macbook Pro with Garmin BlueCharts"? I have read through many of the discussions and see many iPad users (I have an iPad 2), but do not see anyone using a MacBook Pro.
MakinMemories is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 12:01 PM   #44
Guru

City: Holladay, UT
Vessel Name: Dream Catcher
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37-065
Hi MM,

Our 26-footer has a Garmin 2006C, just like your 2010C except for screen size. Bought new in 2002. Updated its software a few times over the first several years we had it, and have had no need to update since. Still works very well.

Updated the chart chips a few times too, but not in the last several years. OTOH, we cruise the Inside Passage, and the rocks there don't move around very much....
"Cruising in a Big Way"
RCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 12:32 PM   #45
Veteran Member

City: Hampton
Vessel Name: Saltwater Taffy
Vessel Model: Silverton 43
Garmin does not work on a Macbook Pro. However Garmin works great on the iPad.
Paul M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 02:43 PM   #46
Guru

A hard case minimalist compass-chart-binoculars vhf radio. Add depth finder if you are up for one electronic device. I navigated on East cost for over 20 years with that set up and only got slightly lost at night once on my first long trip at Plum Gut entrance LI Sound which resolved after I found a buoy and hove to until day light.
eyschulman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 03:07 PM   #47

City: Kingsville, MD
Vessel Name: Harmony
Vessel Model: Pacemaker 1990 37' Convertible
VHF (existing hard mount both stations)
Bad Elf GPS Receiver (Bluetooth)
Navionics
iPad for Navionics (iPad Pro 12.9")
Furuno DRS4W First Watch Wireless Radar
iPad for Furuno radar app (an old one I had)
Raymarine T111Multifunction Wireless Dual Display (Speed / Depth)
Raymarine ST6000 Autopilot (also old)

Yes - I have a hard mounted Raymarine (old) depth sounder on the flybridge, a decent Garmin GPS, and recently removed Raymarine (old) analog radar. I have a hard mount compass at both stations.

I did this so I could have exactly the same instrumentation at both stations - and everything is wireless - and we can be anywhere on the boat and know what is going on in real time... and it can all be taken inside and locked up. We're not passage makers and it suits us just fine. And everything totaled under $2500.

mike
Old 12-30-2016, 03:15 PM   #48
Guru

City: Adelaide
Vessel Name: Kokanee
Vessel Model: Cuddles 30 Pilot House Motor Sailer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westcoastwannbe View Post
Thanks for all the great ideas and feedback. I appreciate everyone taking the time.

I think what makes the most sense for me is a Garmin multi-function display with depth displayed and a chart plotter for now. I like the idea of being able to add radar when and if I choose.I will also keep an iPad with iSalor (and maybe some other apps) as back up and of course I also have an iPhone which can run the same apps if all else fails so I feel pretty good about my redundancies. And of course I will have a modern VHF and a handheld as a back-up. I will ensure I play with a Garmin at the next chance I get to make sure it’s for me but it certainly sounds like a great and likely option.
Wannabe - I think you are on the right track with a Garmin MFD. You can integrate as much or as little as you want. (radar, autopilot, engine gauges, depth sounder) . I've found the Garmin package to be very intuitive and reliable.
AusCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 03:42 PM   #49

City: Port Moody
Vessel Name: Twilight1
Vessel Model: Permaglass Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Islanddreamer View Post
VHF (existing hard mount both stations)
Bad Elf GPS Receiver (Bluetooth)
Navionics
iPad for Navionics (iPad Pro 12.9")
Furuno DRS4W First Watch Wireless Radar
iPad for Furuno radar app (an old one I had)
Raymarine T111Multifunction Wireless Dual Display (Speed / Depth)
Raymarine ST6000 Autopilot (also old)

Yes - I have a hard mounted Raymarine (old) depth sounder on the flybridge, a decent Garmin GPS, and recently removed Raymarine (old) analog radar. I have a hard mount compass at both stations.

I did this so I could have exactly the same instrumentation at both stations - and everything is wireless - and we can be anywhere on the boat and know what is going on in real time... and it can all be taken inside and locked up. We're not passage makers and it suits us just fine. And everything totaled under $2500.

mike
I think the iPad is the proper marine electronics refuge for cost, simplicity, diversity, innovation and power, and for emerging platform maturity. The rest I leave to the competition. (Disclosure - i make iPad instrument enclosures, but plead innocence).

Available in February and would love to see some marine installs.
Old 12-30-2016, 04:49 PM   #50
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Quote:
Originally Posted by MakinMemories View Post
We have a Garmin 2010C Chartplotter that came with our boat upon purchase but cannot be updated according to Garmin. My question is, "does anyone use a Macbook Pro with Garmin BlueCharts"? I have read through many of the discussions and see many iPad users (I have an iPad 2), but do not see anyone using a MacBook Pro.
I have been very happy using MacENC with MacbookPros (now on my second unit, I get about 5 years out of one) for about 10 years. Excellent support. I like the looks of both OpenCPN and Polar Navy from seeing them on other's machines, if you are especially cheap.

Here is a good archive of discussions regarding using Apple devices for marine purposes.

Forum Index - MacSailing.net - Powered by FusionBB

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 05:37 AM   #51
Veteran Member

City: Tarpon Springs, Fl.
Vessel Name: Makin Memories
Vessel Model: 1987 41' President
Thank you for the MacENC info - I think that will be very helpful
MakinMemories is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 06:38 AM   #52
Guru

City: st pete
Vessel Model: 430 Mainship
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul M View Post
Garmin does not work on a Macbook Pro. However Garmin works great on the iPad.
Garmin Blue chart works fine on my MacBook Pro, but need the chart data plugged in.

However, it's too cumbersome for use on the helm and screen display not bright enough. Would be good for using inside, in the planning area.
Old 12-31-2016, 11:11 AM   #53

City: Kingsville, MD
Vessel Name: Harmony
Vessel Model: Pacemaker 1990 37' Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by djones44 View Post
I think the iPad is the proper marine electronics refuge for cost, simplicity, diversity, innovation and power, and for emerging platform maturity. The rest I leave to the competition. (Disclosure - i make iPad instrument enclosures, but plead innocence).

Available in February and would love to see some marine installs.
What sizes will this facilitate? Nice product and great idea.

Does anyone have a good preference for a USB power bar that plugs into a 12V outlet? Need to keep the iPad units charged.

mike
Old 12-31-2016, 12:46 PM   #54

City: Port Moody
Vessel Name: Twilight1
Vessel Model: Permaglass Sedan
Quote:
What sizes will this facilitate? Nice product and great idea.

Does anyone have a good preference for a USB power bar that plugs into a 12V outlet? Need to keep the iPad units charged.

mike
The present Poorts fit only the standard 9.7" iPads, any generation. Or the Samsung S2 9.7" tablet, for a shipboard fixed cellular phone, or a kitchen phone like in the old days? When they are mounted over a countertop 110V outlet, Poorts can hide the outlet and any cables, and they are always charged.

For marine installs the car usb adapter that plugs into the cigarette lighter slot, also common on boats, is the simplest approach. This dedicated 12V one looks cool: https://goo.gl/ejs5Dr

-Dwight
Old 01-01-2017, 08:07 AM   #55
Guru

City: Melbourne, FL
Quote:

mike
Why not get one of the flush mount USB multi ports and wire it into the 12v power source?

Blue Sea Dual USB Charger Socket - 2 USB Ports w/Watertight Cap - Star Marine Depot
stubones99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 08:51 AM   #56
Guru

City: Cape Cod, MA
Vessel Name: Island Seeker
Vessel Model: Willard 36 Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.Bill11 View Post
Oh baloney!

More equipment doesn't make you a better navigator.

To the OP, just get a system that has its own network and display everything on your iWhatevers.
You are correct, my sons & I sailed from Cape Cod, MA to Trinadad and back stoping at hundreds of islands using compass, paper charts and a Garmin 120. Instruments do not a navigator make.
Brooksie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 07:15 PM   #57
Guru

City: st pete
Vessel Model: 430 Mainship
Originally Posted by Capt.Bill11 View Post
Oh baloney!

More equipment doesn't make you a better navigator.

To the OP, just get a system that has its own network and display everything on your iWhatevers.
You are correct, my sons & I sailed from Cape Cod, MA to Trinadad and back stoping at hundreds of islands using compass, paper charts and a Garmin 120. Instruments do not a navigator make.[/QUOTE]

Ageed,

More equipment doesn't improve your skills, but SURE improves your capability for a voyage, especially when the equipment give you info that you didn't have.

I could argue strongly to have a quiver of good equipment that gives you more info, which equates to a safer and more comfortable passage.

Some of these devices include a good GPS map, radar, depth and sonar capability, weather input, and a bunch of others. ,

The best navigator can still be blind without good info.

I'll take the equipment anytime over blind luck, or a guess.
Old 01-01-2017, 08:16 PM   #58

City: Tasmania
Vessel Model: Old Town Loon
I don't know about you guys but I love electronics. If we had the money I'd put a whole suite of new chart plotters, echo sounders, radars, flir and what ever else I could find. Why? Because it's more fun to play with all that stuff. I can navigate anywhere you like with a magnetic compass, paper chart etc but where's the fun in that.

Does all this electronic gear make it safer or easier. Absolutely if you know how to use but if you don't it can be a dangerous distraction in some situations where you should be keeping a proper look out.

If we had to go the minimalist route somthing like the Simrad GO9 that will do almost all you want in a chart plotter and echo sounder. You can add radar to it later and have a second station with an IPad. Might be worth consideration.
Jetstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 06:29 PM   #59
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetstream View Post
I don't know about you guys but I love electronics. If we had the money I'd put a whole suite of new chart plotters, echo sounders, radars, flir and what ever else I could find. Why? Because it's more fun to play with all that stuff. I can navigate anywhere you like with a magnetic compass, paper chart etc but where's the fun in that.

Does all this electronic gear make it safer or easier. Absolutely if you know how to use but if you don't it can be a dangerous distraction in some situations where you should be keeping a proper look out.

If we had to go the minimalist route somthing like the Simrad GO9 that will do almost all you want in a chart plotter and echo sounder. You can add radar to it later and have a second station with an IPad. Might be worth consideration.
my boat has plenty of electronics and back ups. I keep in mind that a fully staffed navy ship ran hard aground running on a electronics package and that type of thing is not all that rare. Paper charts good binoculars a corrected compass and a depth finder are what I ultimately rely on inland and coastal.
eyschulman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 06:47 PM   #60
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Model: Helmsman 4304
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyschulman View Post
my boat has plenty of electronics and back ups. I keep in mind that a fully staffed navy ship ran hard aground running on a electronics package and that type of thing is not all that rare. Paper charts good binoculars a corrected compass and a depth finder are what I ultimately rely on inland and coastal.
Agree with most points here, and often less is more. Personally I am amazed as to what can be bought these days, especially in the solid state realm for fairly reasonable amounts of $. If someone is willing to spend the practice time, these newer systems are very user friendly.

Question - if you are running at night, which I assume you must do once in awhile, how do you get a fix to DR/plot with your paper chart and compass?
Fletcher500 is offline   Reply With Quote