Electronics Layout in Pilothouse

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Arthurc

Guru
Vessel Name
Sea Bear
Vessel Make
Kadey-Krogen 54
Hi All,
Im in the middle of an electronics retrofit on my K54 but haven't had a chance to really use her yet so hoping to get some advice about placement of electronics. Im hearing two points of view so curious what this group thinks.

I have/will have the following electronics.
Furuno AutoNav 7000
Furuno 1935 Radar
Furuno TZT2
Furuno DRS4 Radar
Furuno GP32 GPS
Furuno FA170 AIS Transponder
Furuno FCV628 Fish Finder
Icom M506 VHF Radio
Icom M802 HF Radio
Computer running Coastal Explorer w/ Touchscreen Monitor
Camera System w/ Touchscreen Monitor

The big question I have is how important is it to have some of this stuff on the dash versus the overhead area. I was thinking about mounting the following overhead but curious if any of you have had frustration with them being less accessible, etc and wish you had mounted them in/on the dash?
Furuno GP32 GPS
Furuno FA170 AIS Transponder
Furuno FCV628 Fish Finder
Icom M506 VHF Radio
Icom M802 HF Radio

My feeling is that the most important things front and center are the Chart Plotter units, the Radar and the Auto Pilot. Also it should be noted ill have a CommandMic for the M506 so seeing channel etc will be easy without reaching above.

Thoughts? Am I making a mistake mounting any of those above?

Thanks
Arthur

It might be easier for you to visualize stuff if you make a quick sketch.

I would agree the chart plotters, radar, and autopilot are important. I would also try and have the VHF close so you can use it while having a hand on the helm.

Greetings,
Mr. A. The ONLY comment I can make regarding overhead mounting is make sure you can read labels, buttons and displays. IF you wear bi-focals you may not be able to crane your neck enough to effect magnification of that bottom lens section. Our VHF is mounted high and I can't read the display because of the angle nor the buttons because of failing eyesight.

Greetings,
Mr. A. The ONLY comment I can make regarding overhead mounting is make sure you can read labels, buttons and displays. IF you wear bi-focals you may not be able to crane your neck enough to effect magnification of that bottom lens section. Our VHF is mounted high and I can't read the display because of the angle nor the buttons because of failing eyesight.

Good call out, luckily I'm hopefully 30 years from Bifocals but my dad does have them and he is helping out with the boat. That was my thinking with the command mic on the VHF, since it will be down on the dash and has a display.

AC

Good call out, luckily I'm hopefully 30 years from Bifocals but my dad does have them and he is helping out with the boat. That was my thinking with the command mic on the VHF, since it will be down on the dash and has a display.

AC

Hm... not too many 15 year olds I know that can afford to refit a K54....

fair :)
Im going off my Dads age when he got them, I am however on the young side of Krogen owners...
AC

Greetings,
Mr. dh. And here I was trying to be polite...Good one!

200.gif

RT makes a good point about visibility. A VHF in the overhead could be great when all you need to do is change the channel via a dial or a preset button. Usually the channel number is large enough to see easily. However, if you have to go through menus often, then it would be a pain.

Here is what I am thinking (quick iPad drawing)
AC

Attachments

• K54 Dash.png
    K54 Dash.png
    117.8 KB · Views: 76
Take pictures of the faces of all the instruments. Manipulate them on a computer till the printed size is the same as the actual unit. Then cut and tape them where you think you might want them. Remember when mounting, the display should be perpendicular in both height and left to right, from your seated helm position. You want to only have to rotate your head to clearly see the display.

Tef

Greetings,
Mr. A. I have no idea what half that stuff is but I would suggest you relocate your depth finder to a lower position. Maybe in front of "Coastal Explorer" possibly. In skinny water I've found scanning VERY quickly from chart to depth to what's directly outside to be my MO. I think Mr. OC is suggesting, minimum head movement.

I like the idea of the print outs. I think you also have a good idea on the FCV628 or at least until its display is piped into the TZT.

Man, am I enjoying the comments on this thread. I'm doing exactly the same to my Krogen Manatee with both overhead and helm dash redesign. Appreciate your putting this to the test here on the forum, Art.

What will be displaying you engine information?

What will be displaying you engine information?

That’s a bit unclear at this point, there is an engine control panel front and center (oil p, rpm, temp, etc) now but the Lehman 225 is a poor engine so I’m hoping to swap it after this season and then will likely move the start controls, etc to a less accessible place and use the extra room for an expanded set of gauges. Also curious about more advanced engine monitoring systems but haven’t made much progress.

Can you describe your camera setup? Which cameras? Which display, what drives it? Thanks.

A few comments:

First, nice system. I think you will like it.

- It sounds like the TZ's primary role is radar? I say this because you have CE for charting and nav (good choice), and the FCV for fish finder (another good choice). If this is correct, consider instead the Furuno FAR1513 black box radar. The cost may be a bit more than the TZ+DSR, but I think it'sa superior product as a primary radar. But hey, it's easy for me to spend your money :)

- In my experience the most important thing to have on the lower dash, and in as close reach as possible, is the NavPilot. That's what you will be reaching for the most. In Nav mode, you need to click it with each waypoint change to clear the alarm. And in Auto mode you are on it all the time. You will be thankful to have it in easy reach.

- I agree with all the stuff you are banishing to the upper panel, except for the FCV. When navigating a tight location you will be cycling your vision from out the window for a sanity check, to CE to confirm position, and to the FCV to watch depth. My FCV is directly below the CE screen which works well. Now it's true that you can put the numeric depth from the FCV on CE's screen or pretty much anywhere else, but seeing the bottom control and trend give much more info than just a numeric depth, so I think you will want to watch it closely.

- In your sketch it looks like you have the VHF mic closest at hand? I would make the pilot closest at hand. Our VHFs are actually all in the overhead, including the mics, and it works fine. You aren't changing VHF channels that often, so looking up to do it isn't bad. Your remote makes it easier in some ways because it's closer at hand, but harder in others because you change channels with a button rather than a dial. The big dial on the M506 is really nice for quickly and easily changing channels. But reaching up to it is just no big deal.

- You might want to leave room for one of the TZ remote control panels. In rough weather the touch screens can be difficult to operate, and the control panel is likely easier.

I haven't been on your bridge (yet) but my bridge has the radios, sounder and radar overhead because I frequently abandon the couch to steer. While standing, my lign of sight is closer to the overhead. If you have a lot of glare off your bow area, see what happens to your eyes when you look at your dash, look outside then look overhead. I have nothing shiny on my boat but the glare from the sea can be a nuisance sometimes. Try it.

Can you describe your camera setup? Which cameras? Which display, what drives it? Thanks.

It will be (4) 4MP POE Cameras, I don’t know the exact make, they aren’t super expensive. Two will be mounted on the mizzenmast one facing forward one backward, the third on the main mast facing forward but lower on the mast and the fourth in the engine room. Will be accessible directly via iPad or over a Network Video Recorder which will output to the touch monitor.
AC

While you are working through this, consider building a raised helm for your most important displays. The PO did this on our KK42, and IMNSHO, it's one of the nicer arrangements I've seen on a KK42. The nice part of this is a future nav suite can be accommodated by simply replacing the vinyl clad panel with a new piece with new cutouts.

I think you are on the right track. This is a personal comfort issue, so any advice here is worth what you pay for it!.
I like visual displays down well below eye level when looking out the pilothouse windows. Radar displays and or MFDs down, radios up above helm position.
Some items like depth finders will display on MFD so those head units up. If you are using computer based chartplotter, they are harder to dim to acceptable levels in night mode. I still like computer displays better than MFDs.
Radio microphones on those CB trucker retractable cords make it so much easier than clips. Any truck stop or Amazon for $20 or so.
AIS in the overhead as well, especially if contacts are displayed on plotter and radar.
Comfy helm chair, small radio chatter and displays giving you situational awareness, and a cup of coffee. Alls right with the world! Auto pilot controls need to be close to chair, on console. When these things are operating correctly, the way you want, you truly are master of your domain.

Back
Top Bottom