Old 04-10-2013, 02:18 PM   #1
Veteran Member

City: Saint Petersburg
Electrician class?

I am working on my 5 year plan and am interested in taking a class for marine electronics. Just a basic class to help me understand the basics and maybe trouble shoot and do some light installs if needed. Any suggestions on the type of class I would take? I live in the Stuart, St. Lucie Fl. area. Thanks

swampgatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 06:51 PM   #2
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Vessel Name: Small Incentive
Vessel Model: Boston Whaler 130 Sport
Check with the local community college. I know Broward College has a program, I learned that originally from Joe Charles of Charles Industries who is involved in it.

Broward College - Marine Engineering Management Program

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 08:42 AM   #3
Guru

City: Everett Wa
Vessel Name: Eagle
Vessel Model: Roughwater 58 pilot house
[QUOTE=ezdipper;148266]I am working on my 5 year plan and am interested in taking a class for marine electronics. Just a basic class to help me understand the basics and maybe trouble shoot and do some light installs if needed. Any suggestions on the type of class I would take? I live in the Stuart, St. Lucie Fl. area. Thanks[/QUO

Trawler fest hold class on different thing and so do boat shows. If you can install a home entertainment center you have the basic skill. The hardest part is to decide the features and brand. Besides you have us.
Phil Fill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 08:50 AM   #4
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by caltexflanc View Post
Check with the local community college.
That's a good suggestion. You can't become a marine electrician by taking one or two classes at a boat show or reading a couple books. Real electricians spend years learning their trade.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 02:04 PM   #5
Veteran Member

City: Saint Petersburg
Thank you for all your replies. I will look at some community college courses as well as some of the of the "how to" booths. I am really just looking for some basic knowledge to trouble shoot and install simple things such as gauges, switches and such and with help maybe some larger projects when the time comes. Thank you all for your suggestions.
swampgatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 07:26 PM   #6
Guru

City: Thibodaux, Louisiana
Vessel Name: Gumbo
Vessel Model: 2003 Monk 36
Maybe you could hire a good local marine electrician to go through your system with you and teach you one on one.
Old 04-11-2013, 07:28 PM   #7
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezdipper View Post
Thank you for all your replies. I will look at some community college courses as well as some of the of the "how to" booths. I am really just looking for some basic knowledge to trouble shoot and install simple things such as gauges, switches and such and with help maybe some larger projects when the time comes. Thank you all for your suggestions.
The community college course should include electrical theory and once you understand how electricity flows in conductors, circuits, and devices, the rest comes more easily.

Without that understanding, you pretty much just have to follow instructions and when you have none or they are not clear, you won't know what to do.

rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote