electrical cable cutter recommendations

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tator

Guru
Vessel Name
Oz
Vessel Make
Bluewater 40' RPH 1979
Any recommendations for an electrical cable cutter? I have some 4/0 work coming up.

Tator

Wish I could tell you where I got my large cutters and crimpers but I have had them for over 20 years and don’t have a clue where I got them. But they are great to have. I think that they cost about $350 for both of them. They may be cheaper now though.

I think you would be happy with Ancor 703006 Heavy Duty Cable Cutters. Amazing range of prices though.:rofl:

https://www.amazon.com/Ancor-703006-Wire-Cable-Cutter/dp/B00WV6DYT0

https://www.westmarine.com/buy/ancor--heavy-duty-cable-cutter--15982523?recordNum=41

60000XL.jpg

I just bought a these cutters a while back to cut some 2/0 and had some reservations but it was easier than cutting warm butter.....:thumb:

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-12-31 at 8.24.06 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2020-12-31 at 8.24.06 PM.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 37
Bought a no-name 10-inch cable cutter for around $20 last spring to cut 4/0 (made new Battery cables). First cuts were not easy, but manageable. After about 10-15 cuts the going was getting tougher, but still making clean cuts. So an inexpensive $20 for a 10-inch lever arm cutter gets you likely 15 cuts through 4/0 before you will want to sharpen the cutter, or toss it for a new one, or wish you had purchased a longer length Cutter.

I just bought a these cutters a while back to cut some 2/0 and had some reservations but it was easier than cutting warm butter.....:thumb:
I bought similar ones from a well known Canadian store, that sells tires too, at a similar price, and they really cut cables like butter.
Did some battery cables and was very fortunate to have them.

L

If you are cutting 4/0 I would get the longer handled ones, mine are almost 2’ long. I have had them for 20+ years and they still cut very well. I wouldn’t go with the cheap ones for 4/0.

4/0? ....I would just use a recip saw with a good hacksaw blade. Jamb in a miter box and you will get neat, square cuts.

AS it will be a one time project or very seldom used tool ,

China Crap will work just fine , Northern Hydraulics or Harbor Freight .

Klein High leverage cable cutter at Home Depot $35. Will go through marine strand 4/0 like butter. No need for big dollar ones.

Hack saw for me for the occasional cut. Specialized tools are great for the pros but not if I'm going to use it a few times then never.

For me the big bolt cutters are bad enough to store...at some point as a liveaboard with no dirt...storage runs out for specialized tools.

But I agree the cheapo ones will do for the occasional cut or small job....even if you have to resharpen...if they quit on the first cut they go back...but never had cheap specialty tools fail that fast as long as they were neanderthal to begin with.

If you are making just one or two cuts use a chisel and a backing plate.

pete

You didn't ask about crimpers but, let me tell you about the absolute best crimper tool. If you have access to a hydraulic hose swaging press, they make the absolute best crimps. The cable and end go in a die. The die is compressed with a hydraulic press. The crimp is the full length of the cable fitting and compressed from 4 sides. Truly a thing of beauty.

Ted

I since it was such a relatively rare need (miscellaneous one time projects like installing and eventually reconfiguring the inverter bank for one example), I just got mine cut, and terminals crimped, at a good local battery/alternator place. Otherwise, I second the hacksaw technique.
Some of the online vendors, like Genuinedealz, will also make them up for you. https://www.genuinedealz.com/products/custom-battery-cable-marine-grade-by-the-foot

I used my 'second best' Camilus 'lineman's pocket knife, a hammer and a block of wood. Any strong knife would do. Hammer on the back edge of the blade. Cuts the wire neatly, quickly, with a couple of blows. I recommend using a bit of carpet to protect the work surface, a steel plate to absorb the shocks, the block of wood to save the knife. I stood in the engine bay and set up the workstation on the salon floor. I also used a hammered swager for the terminals.

+1 for the cheap no name Ebay cutters. Mine cut cables like butter. I also use them for clean cuts on large diameter lines as well. Works great.

The same for hydraulic crimpers.

If you are doing cables everyday then high end tools would be warranted. For the occasional job, these work very well and save $$$s and space.

Crimper recommendation

I’ve had good results making up battery and solar cables with a TEMCo Hammer Lug Crimper Tool. Available on Amazon for around $ 20. I use a good size sledge hammer and place the crimper on a solid surface.

Attachments

• TEMCo Crimper copy.pdf
    235.3 KB · Views: 21
Bought a no-name 10-inch cable cutter for around $20 last spring to cut 4/0 (made new Battery cables). First cuts were not easy, but manageable. After about 10-15 cuts the going was getting tougher, but still making clean cuts. So an inexpensive $20 for a 10-inch lever arm cutter gets you likely 15 cuts through 4/0 before you will want to sharpen the cutter, or toss it for a new one, or wish you had purchased a longer length Cutter.

Me too. On the sailboat a bolt cutter is a good safety tool. If you loose the mast (and that never happens in calm water so there will be big waves) it will beat a hole in the hull and sink you. Have to have some way of cutting it free quickly. When I installed a windlass I used the same cutter to do the electrical cables, it worked great. I'm putting it on the new trawler, who ever buys the sailboat will have to get their own. I think I got it at harbor Freight for around $20. Been several years so I'm not sure about that. I know a lot of folks shun HF and pros don't shop there, but for something you're going to use once or rarely they're fine.

Last edited:
I cut large diameter cable on a regular basis. I have a couple of the high leverage units noted up thread (I leave them in the shop); however, my go to is a Klein Tools m/n 63060 Ratcheting Heavy Duty Cutter. The mechanical advantage is incredible and it fits into tight spaces that the long handle units won't. It is pricey but there are several knockoffs on Amazon for <$50. https://tinyurl.com/y6pet8tl

If you are doing just half a dozen to a dozen cuts I'd follow Mainsail's advice and use some anvil pruning shears. After a dozen cuts they get dull but before then you get perfect cuts. Also, as per Mainsail, don't tell your spouse.

-Sven

boat cable cutter

I've had good luck with my Craftsman Anvil Cutter. It uses a replaceable razor blade. With a fresh blade it cuts 4.0 like butter without smashing the cable or leaving a deformed end that wont fit in your lug. It's useful for lots of other things around the boat too.

Attachments

• 20200726_142903 (Large).jpg
    20200726_142903 (Large).jpg
    109.5 KB · Views: 8
  • 20200726_142917 (Large).jpg
    20200726_142917 (Large).jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 10
  • 20200726_143007 (Large).jpg
    20200726_143007 (Large).jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 8
About 20 years ago I read a horror story about a boat getting hung up in a lock and couldn't get a line loose tied to a stuck moving bollard and did extensive damage to the boat. I use 3/4" double braid line so it got me to thinking about cutting a line in an emergency like that. I ended up buying a set of pruning shears (about 2ft long) that would cut tree limbs up to about 2 or 3" in diameter. When I started doing electrical work I decided to try them on the larger 3/0 and 4/0 cables. They work perfectly. Now after doing this work professionally for close to 20 years I've only had to replace them once, and the second set is still working almost like new. They were about $25 or $30 last time I bought them at a hardware store.

HANDS DOWN!!!! Anvil style cutters. I was VERY skeptical until the guy at Fisheries here in Seattle grabbed the thickest wire he could find and literally cut through it with his thumb and pointer finger like butter!!! SOLD!!!
The blades are just regular razor blades (I believe). Below is a link to one similar to the one I bought...

https://www.amazon.com/Allstar-Inno...=p_85:2470955011&rnid=2470954011&rps=1&sr=8-5

+2
Klein 63050 is rated for 4-0 aluminum but I find they work fine on 4-0 copper despite my small & weak hands

I just noticed, clued in, and went to the Klien site and those cutters are rated for up to
750MC Al and 600MCM Cu. which is what I thought.

Both ratings are for far larger wire than 4/0 at 0.460" diam.

600MCM roughly equates to a wire of 0.893" diam Not including the insulation.

750MCM roughly equates to a wire of 0.999" diam Not including the insulation

4/0 wire, Cu or Al , is a relatively small wire for these cutters.

Link to a wire size charts.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_wire_gauge

ALSO

https://www.ihiconnectors.com/AWG wire sizes.htm

Last edited:
I've had good luck with my Craftsman Anvil Cutter. It uses a replaceable razor blade. With a fresh blade it cuts 4.0 like butter without smashing the cable or leaving a deformed end that wont fit in your lug. It's useful for lots of other things around the boat too.

Those look longer lasting than anvil pruning shears. Do they use carpet-knife blades or special purpose blades ? We don't have much cabling left to do but looks like a worthwhile investment.

-Sven

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom