Old 11-14-2014, 04:59 PM   #161
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
sure...but REALLY knowing what's behind the smiley faces is tough...I would say early on some were frustrating, but now some are just comical.

close?

psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 08:46 PM   #162

City: Washington, DC
Vessel Name: Starside
Vessel Model: 1930 Elco Marinette
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
sure...but REALLY knowing what's behind the smiley faces is tough...I would say early on some were frustrating, but now some are just comical.

close?
Frustrating initially, yes, but also humorous at this point.

I think what it really says is that this is a hot topic.

I was thinking about doing a separate thread of the actual conversion for those who were interested, but now I'm not sure...may get too many negative responses, so think I'll continue on course, but silently. I'm not here to make enemies, esp. over electric propulsion systems!

Starside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 08:46 PM   #163
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by mahal View Post
Don't know much about the ICW, but in the west coast, every boat slip has a plug in station also called shorepower. So we have charging stations all over the place.

The ICW does have marinas and most have electric power available at the slips, The problems are:

1) You won't find one every thirty or forty miles so you couldn't possibly complete the entire ICW.

2) Having to spend every night in a marina recharging your batteries would mean no anchoring out and no free docks. This would be a very expensive trip.

3) You might find the marina you planned on staying at full.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 09:03 PM   #164

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
The ICW does have marinas and most have electric power available at the slips, The problems are:

1) You won't find one every thirty or forty miles so you couldn't possibly complete the entire ICW.

2) Having to spend every night in a marina recharging your batteries would mean no anchoring out and no free docks. This would be a very expensive trip.

3) You might find the marina you planned on staying at full.
Thanks for the ICW info. I didn't know.

Now let me shed some light on the electric boats that we are discussing here including the OP's. You do not take these boats on long term cruises. These are boats that are intended for day cruising your local waters. No one here including the OP mentioned the kind of cruising that you are describing.
mahal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 09:07 PM   #165
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by mahal View Post
Thanks for the ICW info. I didn't know.

Now let me shed some light on the electric boats that we are discussing here including the OP's. You do not take these boats on long term cruises. These are boats that are intended for day cruising your local waters. No one here including the OP mentioned the kind of cruising that you are describing.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 09:10 PM   #166
Guru

City: Cary, NC
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 4200 Classic
Hey guys... The mod team is seeing some really rude postings in this thread. Please keep your personal and/or underhanded jabs out of your replies.

Thanks you...
Old 11-14-2014, 11:19 PM   #167
Guru

City: League City, TX
Vessel Name: Pelago
Vessel Model: Wellcraft 3300 Coastal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starside View Post
Frustrating initially, yes, but also humorous at this point.

I think what it really says is that this is a hot topic.

I was thinking about doing a separate thread of the actual conversion for those who were interested, but now I'm not sure...may get too many negative responses, so think I'll continue on course, but silently. I'm not here to make enemies, esp. over electric propulsion systems!
I for one would love to know more about your project, and I'll bet I am not alone either.

My vote is that you start a new thread so those who are genuinely interested can follow your progress.

There are several such threads on TF that are pretty popular.

Larry
M/V Boomarang
LarryM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 06:35 AM   #168
Guru

City: Gloucester, MA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starside View Post

No, please, definitely do it. I'm sure I'm not alone in being interested to see the conversion process. Please post away, preferably with lots of pictures.
Old 11-15-2014, 06:58 AM   #169
FF
Guru

HP is Hp, regardless of how its measured KW or anything else.

IF it takes 2 or 5 or 10 or 40 Hp to move it will take that weather it is from an outboard , diesel or electric motor.

To see how well this project will work I would install an outboard bracket , and borrow engines from dinks and other folks to see what HP is required for the speeds you desire.

For long range , all that is required is a BIG DC generator.

Buses use 300A 24V units that can be had at a wrecking yard. A pair may be needed.

Add this to a suitable 15 -30 hp diesel and youre range is not limited , tho the speed might not be normal as a diesel boat.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 07:48 AM   #170
Guru

City: Joe Wheeler State Park, Al
Vessel Name: Serenity
Vessel Model: Mainship 36 Dual Cabin -1986
Most people on here, including myself, think that this is not a very good idea. The OP gets it and it's his choice, not ours, to do what suits him best. So, moving past that, I too would enjoy seeing this project in motion. I am looking forward to it. So please - lots of photos.
Is the yard doing everything or just installing the new motors with you finishing the job?
I watched a sailboat go through this same process. It was very interesting.
Old 11-15-2014, 07:58 AM   #171
Guru

City: Sarasota,FL/Thomasville,GA
Vessel Name: Steppin Stone IV
Vessel Model: Marine Trader Kelly Trawler 46
Send a message via Skype™ to siestakey
Starside

Please either start a thread of the conversion I really want to see it !!!!!!

Thanks for sharing
siestakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 08:47 AM   #172
Guru

City: Maryland
Vessel Model: 42' Sportfish
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post
To see how well this project will work I would install an outboard bracket , and borrow engines from dinks and other folks to see what HP is required for the speeds you desire.

I would think the Elco people she's working with -- Elco built the boat in the first place, and also does the electric motors -- probably already have a decent clue about all that.

-Chris
Old 11-15-2014, 10:16 AM   #173

City: Washington, DC
Vessel Name: Starside
Vessel Model: 1930 Elco Marinette
Okay, I'll start another thread. I meet the yard next week to look at placement & will then start taking pics. Elco said they will also post the conversion on their website. They are pleased to have an Antique Elco converting.

TheI actual conversion won't start until December. I'll post the new thread when it starts moving forward so we can actually see the progress as it goes along.
Starside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 11:47 AM   #174

City: Jupiter, FL
Vessel Name: JOHN D. MACDONALD
Vessel Model: FAIRCHILD SCOUT 30
I am looking forward to following your conversion project.
Billyfeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 10:34 AM   #175
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post
.......... For long range , all that is required is a BIG DC generator.............
And this would then be a "hybrid" boat. There are some detailed articles on these in recent PassageMaker magazine.

The OP already has a diesel engine in the boat and I suggested way back that coupling it to a generator might be a practical way to get an "electric" boat and still have reasonable range.

I read a review of a commercial hybrid the other day and as I recall it would travel twenty miles on the battery charge before the diesel engine had to be started.

And yes, horsepower is horsepower no mater how you get it. A $1,000 Honda generator driving an electric motor is not going to move this boat.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 01:05 PM   #176
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
...........And yes, horsepower is horsepower no mater how you get it. A $1,000 Honda generator driving an electric motor is not going to move this boat.

+! You are absolutely correct.

I'm going from memory here - too lazy to look it up. I think the rough formula is 746 watts of electricity = 1 HP. Round off to 750 Watts. Too many variables to be exact, but this is close enough for most calculations. The Honda 2K puts out a steady 1500 watts which can be converted to approx. 2 HP of mechanical energy drive. if it went through a battery charger to charge batteries it would charge at a maximum 1500 watts divided by 13 volts DC = 115 amps per hour in an ideal world. In real world, probably around 100 amps per hour if, and only if, your boat battery charger could charge at that rate. If you went directly from the DC output it will only put out about 8 amps if I recall correctly. These figures are close enough for figuring out battery recharge time with a Honda 2K.
If I am wrong, someone please correct me because this info will be important to the OP in selecting a generator size.
Old 11-16-2014, 06:46 PM   #177
Guru

Starside, I`d be interested in the new thread too. The negative guys can just ignore it. I`m struck by the Elco design similarities to a Halvorsen 25,not that surprising, same era. Old Halvos are collectors items here.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 07:23 PM   #178
Guru

When a friend of mine went through the very same process, he said that the biggest problem was removing the old diesel and fuel tank. He did 95% of the work himself. This was on a sailboat with a full keel. He ended up stacking the batteries two high in the keel and along pretty much the full length of the bilge over the keel.
Seems like most major projects I do also seems to cost the most time and labor removing the old stuff. When the old stuff is finally removed, it feels good and cleaning it up. prepping and repainting feels great. Makes the new stuff going in really fun. Looking forward to the new thread.
Old 11-16-2014, 08:28 PM   #179
Guru

City: Satsuma FL
Vessel Name: No Mo Trawla
Vessel Model: Hurricane SS188
It doesn't seem like a great idea but has anyone considered using batteries for ballast?

Donsan is online now   Reply With Quote