Old 11-13-2014, 09:18 PM   #141
Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
$5000 of diesel, at $4/gal is 1250gal. At 18hp/gph, that's 22500 hp hr.

22500 hp hr x 0.746kW/hp is 16785 kW hr.

Assuming elec at $0.15 per kW hr, that elec power cost $2518.

About half price to run electric.

This discounts lots of stuff like charging losses, diesel idling time, maintenance on both, local epower rate, etc, etc.

I thought the electric would be an even smaller fraction...

Ski in NC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 10:07 AM   #142

City: Washington, DC
Vessel Name: Starside
Vessel Model: 1930 Elco Marinette
Thank you for the article.

I think some folks are just against electric motors. I've been lying low cuz I'm converting now & didn't want the negativity.

Btw, the extra battery pack has me thinking that that's a better alternative. I meet the yard next week to go over the placement of everything & plan to discuss. I have to see how the space works out. I'm trying to keep my tanks cuz the costs are absorbent to remove them & we all know this project is expensive. I also have to consider displacement. There are technical issues that need to be worked out.

Thank you again for the inspiration. Restoring Starside hasn't been easy for me - emotional & financially stressing - so getting support instead of criticism has kept my confidence in my decisions intact. Thank you again. I can't say it enough.

Starside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 10:32 AM   #143
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
And those people may not be the electric boat owners .....

because there is a limited but successful market for some electric boats, some marinas don't charge for electric, and some people want what they want even though it is not a commercially viable item.

I don'the think the discussion with the OP was ever intended to be about resale or opening a boat restoration/building business.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 10:34 AM   #144

I personally think electric boats are the future of boating. In other countries, they are much more popular. Even here on the Chesapeake, you see Duffy boats everywhere.

Different strokes for different folks. No disrespect intended. :-)
Old 11-14-2014, 10:46 AM   #145
TF Site Team

City: Houston
Vessel Name: Baobab
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4788
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starside View Post
I personally think electric boats are the future of boating. In other countries, they are much more popular. Even here on the Chesapeake, you see Duffy boats everywhere.

Different strokes for different folks. No disrespect intended. :-)
Yep and more and more fresh bodies of water are sail or electric only if you want to boat. Where there's a need there is a market which in turn will drive technology. As a single engine owner with large genny, I would love an electric get home option.
Old 11-14-2014, 10:49 AM   #146
Guru

City: Satsuma FL
Vessel Name: No Mo Trawla
Vessel Model: Hurricane SS188
Quote:
I personally think electric boats are the future of boating.
As mentioned before, if a 35-40 ft trawler could get 50-60NM per day at 6-7 knots on a charge and could regenerate the charge overnight, there would be a huge market.
Donsan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 10:53 AM   #147

I think the technology is coming. Give it a few years... I suspect the batteries will also get smaller w longer range & less expensive. When it's time for me to get new batteries, I bet they will be cheaper & better n range & safety. It's just a matter of time for the Green technology to catch up to boating...
Old 11-14-2014, 10:56 AM   #148

Duffy has sold more than 10,000 electric boats and there is a constant demand for them that Lear of the Learjet family is trying to compete with a line of their own plug-in boats. If Duffy offered a diesel or gas versions, I don't think it will be as popular. Imagine cruising a Duffy without the benefit of no engine noise, no vibration and no exhaust - that just defeats the purpose of owning one.

I understand that there is substantial savings in running an electric boat but I don't think Duffy owners care about that. Be open minded, rent one and you'll understand.
mahal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 12:19 PM   #149
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahal View Post
Wrong again. Duffy has sold more than 10,000 electric boats and there is a constant demand for them that Lear of the Learjet family is trying to compete with a line of their own plug-in boats. If Duffy offered a diesel or gas versions, I don't think it will be as popular. Imagine cruising a Duffy without the benefit of no engine noise, no vibration and no exhaust - that just defeats the purpose of owning one.

I understand that there is substantial savings in running an electric boat but I don't think Duffy owners care about that. Be open minded, rent one and you'll understand.
Old 11-14-2014, 12:34 PM   #150

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
I don't see charging stations along the ICW.
Don't know much about the ICW, but in the west coast, every boat slip has a plug in station also called shorepower. So we have charging stations all over the place.
Old 11-14-2014, 01:48 PM   #151
Guru

City: Satsuma FL
Vessel Name: No Mo Trawla
Vessel Model: Hurricane SS188
Quote:
Originally Posted by mahal View Post
Don't know much about the ICW, but in the west coast, every boat slip has a plug in station also called shorepower. So we have charging stations all over the place.
He may be referring to high power chargers that will completely recharge in an hour or so. I think they are called superchargers. Tesla has quite a few of these deployed nationwide but given that most marinas haven't modernized to ATM/Credit Card fueling yet, supercharging stations won't be around for awhile.
Donsan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 02:10 PM   #152
Guru

City: Cypress Landing Marina (NC)
Vessel Name: Heron (2)
Vessel Model: '88 Cape Dory 28 Flybridge #115
Starside...You are a brave man. I'd have too much "range anxiety" to even consider this... One reason Pure electric cars are not taking the market by storm, except maybe Tesla who has a well developed system and the infrastructure (in certain areas) to back it up. You'r Hybrid idea is a workable one...Having a gas powered generator to supply charging current to your battery banks to extend range. That would be the only system I would consider as practical. There are some highly efficient Quiet and portable solutions to this (Honda's etc.)......
Old 11-14-2014, 02:21 PM   #153
Ted
Guru

City: Campbell River
Vessel Name: Okisollo
Hi,
Have you seen this thread?
It might have useful info for you.
Interesting but not my method, but I did investigate
steam at one time.
Ted
Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 02:23 PM   #154
Ted
Guru

City: Campbell River
Vessel Name: Okisollo
Sorry, missed the attachment;

Go to first new post It Begins: Converting Cal 2-27 to...
GrowleyMonster
23-07-2014 10:11

hope this worked
Ted
Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 02:45 PM   #155
Guru

City: Maryland
Vessel Model: 42' Sportfish
Quote:

Yep, pretty common in the Annapolis harbor area. I think the Baltimore harbor area, too. And there's one down here in our South River area.

I doubt anybody immediately thinks "ICW" for these, or even "long cruise down the Chesapeake," but they certainly seem to meet their design purpose -- and target audience -- quite well.

I also suspect Elco sells boatloads of 'em to the same crowd, or at least the upper $$ version of the same market

-Chris
Old 11-14-2014, 02:50 PM   #156
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donsan View Post
He may be referring to high power chargers that will completely recharge in an hour or so. I think they are called superchargers. Tesla has quite a few of these deployed nationwide but given that most marinas haven't modernized to ATM/Credit Card fueling yet, supercharging stations won't be around for awhile.
I am amazed at how often boating and even a particular type of boating is compared to driving or flying.

Occasionally it can be similar, but often there are so many variations on the theme that the comparison really doesn't fit.

Just because the boat is electric....doesn't mean it will be used like a car. Using it for a couple hours to go a few miles in the style the OP prefers trumps all and how quickly it is refueled may be of no consequence.

Any old power source, including a simple 110 V outlet can be used by an on board charging system. If it needs to charge overnight, so what? It might be in the OP's acceptable limits.
Old 11-14-2014, 02:57 PM   #157

Duffy offers an optional fast charger that cuts charging time in half. Although many get this option, I really don't think it's needed. A new Duffy with the optional battery bank will cruise for 10 hours and these boats are harbor cruisers
Old 11-14-2014, 04:52 PM   #158

Thank you, Mahal. I get it.

Interesting, though, that my initial question as a newbie (& somewhat Green (pun intended) cruiser) who asked a simple - perhaps naive question - gets her entire thread hijacked.

Too funny!!!
Old 11-14-2014, 04:53 PM   #159
Guru

I know..unfortunately some just aren't hearing what we are saying and must be either frustrating the OP for thinning the thread or making him have a great bunch of laughs.
Old 11-14-2014, 04:55 PM   #160

Can no one see my responses?
Indeed. :-)