Old 11-09-2014, 01:20 PM   #101

City: Washington, DC
Vessel Name: Starside
Vessel Model: 1930 Elco Marinette
Okay, now I feel better getting that off my chest!

I do think this thread has run itself out, though. I appreciate all of the ideas & General support. :-)

Starside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 01:34 PM   #102

City: Bohemia
I would add as many solar panels as practical, plus a Honda and a very good charger/inverter with battery isolators. But, what do I know? I use a diesel engine.

chester613 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 01:39 PM   #103
Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
Kudos on the restoration. That is no trivial task and you should be commended on that!!

As you get further into the electric repower, there a several technical folks here that are willing to help.

Just need to put up with a little "guff", but the tech advice is usually worth it!!
Ski in NC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 03:21 PM   #104
Guru

City: gulf coast
The only way he will get 12HP at 106 amps is if his set up is 84+ volts.. Entirely possible but a different world than we live in. He can do welding on the side.

Edit: Maybe he is using a regen system that generates electricity from spinning the prop as the boat moves or maybe its cold fusion. sounds exciting.
bayview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 05:20 PM   #105
Guru

City: Powell River, BC
Vessel Name: Northern Spy
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayview View Post
The only way he will get 12HP at 106 amps is if his set up is 84+ volts.. Entirely possible but a different world than we live in. He can do welding on the side.

Edit: Maybe he is using a regen system that generates electricity from spinning the prop as the boat moves or maybe
Could be three phase.
Northern Spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 05:49 PM   #106

Vessel Model: Gulfstar 38MC
Hope to see you on the bay. We are on the North East river.
How long did the restoration take?

There are folks on every forum that whine and complain every time I try and mail them my extra gold bars. Go figure?

Take what you want, ignore the rest, and carry on with a great job!
bluebyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 05:50 PM   #107
Guru

City: gulf coast
With dilithium crystals?
bayview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 06:04 PM   #108
Guru

City: Venice Louisiana
Oh shat, these are not dylithium chrystals they're folgers chrystals . Anyone that has restored a classic wood boat has my respect.
kulas44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 09:28 PM   #109
Guru

City: Powell River, BC
Vessel Name: Northern Spy
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 26
Quote:

Edit: Maybe he is using a regen system that generates electricity from spinning the prop as the boat moves or maybe its cold fusion. sounds exciting.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Spy View Post
Could be three phase.
Quote:
With dilithium crystals?
Do the math. 48V, 106A, 3 phase AC can make ~12bhp.

To the OP. I think you building a heck of a cool boat.
Northern Spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 10:50 PM   #110

Iota 48 Volt 20 Amp w/External IQ-4 Sensor

This is just what I found as I approached the idea you've committed to. Boats with character make me smile. I hope you enjoy the project, as I doubt one would want to take on such an endeavor more than once. Old wood and new technology; what a challenge!

To begin, I always appreciate when someone knows WHAT they WANT. From there we have a direction.

The charger at URL/link is 48V 20 AMP capable of running on a generator. "Iota DLS can be used without a battery as a straight Power Supply".

If as Northern Spy says, your motor needs 60 AMPS to produce 12 HP then the next question would be: How much generator capacity does the charger need to produce a continuous 20 AMPs? Followed by how much good would 20 AMPs do for the main motor? Would this result in about a 4 BHP system? Would this be enough to beat the tides?

If a Honda 3000 inverter generator is up to the task and 20 continuous amps will move the boat at "get home" speed, I think the time for such a craft may have arrived.

I see ELCO has chargers available too. What do they have to say?

Any plans on a dinghy? With an OB?
SaltyDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 07:29 AM   #111
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starside View Post
................... So I am a little miffed that so many seem to think that an electric conversion - after all I've done & spent on her - is ruining my Elco! I don't care for those negative judgments about my restoration decisions...& for those who say I should have gotten a Duffy? Why would I do that? I have a rare & special wooden vessel that is the perfect electric launch esp considering her Elco pedigree. I'll add that anyone who puts the time & money into these rare classics should be applauded, especially since Most peeps Do ruin their wood boats! They allow them to go unmaintained & they slowly die in someone's back yard or to sink at marinas! I rescued my boat from that fate & restored her to her former glory. ...
If you're going to get "a little miffed" if people post things that you don'r agree with, perhaps this is not the place for you to be. There are hundreds of members her from all over the world and with every background imaginable. Some have a great deal of knowledge in the mechanical and electrical fields, other with navigating, cruising, etc. Others are lacking in knowledge and come here to learn.

When you started this thread looking for an "electric generator", you set yourself up as a person not knowing much about electricity, yet you are building an electric powered boat. Can you see where some of the joke posts are coming from?

The people who commented that you may be devaluing your boat are sincere in their opinions and I agree with them. Remember, this is a web forum and you're going to get all sorts of opinions.

My suggestion to just buy an electric boat in the first place (after you stated that you wanted an electric boat to be able to sneak up on wildlife) was sincere as well. Buying an electric boat (Duffy), you know up front what it will cost and you can take a sea trial to see how it will perform before you write the check. I am entitled to my opinion and you are entitled to ignore or rebut it. You can even add my name to your "ignore list" if you wish.

Best of luck with your project. I hope you and your boatyard can figure this out.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 09:25 AM   #112
Guru

City: Joe Wheeler State Park, Al
Vessel Name: Serenity
Vessel Model: Mainship 36 Dual Cabin -1986
The main reason that I can see an electric motor devaluing your boat is if you try to sell it the market will be extremely limited. You will have to find a person that will never want to go out for more than a 4 hour ride and even that would be 'at best'. If you don't mind the devaluing, then it is not an issue. If you don't believe us, call a few brokers and see what they say about a 28 mile range - at best.
If you run a generator to re-power your batteries, doesn't that defeat the purpose of battery power.
As for wind generators, they are fine on sailboats where the wind IS your propulsion. On powerboats this might change. I'm not sure about the following statement but it makes sense to me: A wind generator creates drag even with the blades spinning. That drag causes the boat's engine to require more power to run at a desired speed. My guess is that the power generated is less than power used up by the engine to overcome the drag.
Next consideration - If you have to run generators, why not just run the gas or diesel engine to propel the boat instead of produce electricity? The same noise is being generated.

Question: You have your own telescope and planetarium on board. How does that work out? Most of us could hardly hold binoculars steady on a boat.

Final thought: Why not stick with the diesel engine and just drag a dinghy with an electric O/B motor behind you. Then just anchor out somewhere and take the dink in for close and personal.
Old 11-10-2014, 10:41 AM   #113
Guru

City: Satsuma FL
Vessel Name: No Mo Trawla
Vessel Model: Hurricane SS188
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony B View Post
The main reason that I can see an electric motor devaluing your boat is if you try to sell it the market will be extremely limited. You will have to find a person that will never want to go out for more than a 4 hour ride and even that would be 'at best'. If you don't mind the devaluing, then it is not an issue. If you don't believe us, call a few brokers and see what they say about a 28 mile range - at best.
For this type of boat, the normal use is probably well under 4 hours per day. They are more for looks than cruising. Resale shouldn't be an issue for an antique classic specially when you consider the operating costs and maintenance savings associated with the propulsion system. She won't have to worry about rusting fuel tanks, diesel bugs, oil changes, raw water cooling, filters, transmissions and on and on. The market for antique classic picnic boats is fairly limited and a niche market anyway. Anyway, no risk, no reward and the advantages of electric versus fossil fuels are many within the right envelope.

After thinking about it some more, solar and/or wind power would change the character of the boat too much. The real kicker is whether or not electric propulsion changes the character of the antique classic boat. Unfortunately, few of us have the budget to experiment with this type of thing. I admire her for the example she is setting.

If I could get 50-60NM per day on a battery powered trawler in the 35-40 ft range, I certainly would do so if I could recharge with shore power or a genny overnight.
Donsan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 10:51 AM   #114
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donsan View Post
......... If I could get 50-60NM per day on a battery powered trawler in the 35-40 ft range, I certainly would do so if I could recharge with shore power or a genny overnight.
Recharging the batteries pretty much defeats the purpose of an electric powered boat, doesn't it?
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 11:03 AM   #115
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
Recharging the batteries pretty much defeats the purpose of an electric powered boat, doesn't it?
Yes it does but I would augment with solar and wind. Somehow, the charge would need to be built back up overnight, in the morning or while underway. Power regenration seems to be where electric power falls short for cruising.
Old 11-10-2014, 12:07 PM   #116
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Didn't we used to have a guy here that owned a totally electric power cat?

He admitted daily range wasn't great but it suited his needs.

Sure the Elco will not be covered with panels or a windgen...but storage and regeneration plus overnight charging can certainly provide.

The OP can probably achieve his goals without too much more effort or thinking.

I doubt Elco engineers and his yard are giving him such bad info that a couple of not to well up on the subject guys here are going to or shouldn't deter him.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 12:47 PM   #117
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
Didn't we used to have a guy here that owned a totally electric power cat?

He admitted daily range wasn't great but it suited his needs.

Sure the Elco will not be covered with panels or a windgen...but storage and regeneration plus overnight charging can certainly provide.

The OP can probably achieve his goals without too much more effort or thinking.

I doubt Elco engineers and his yard are giving him such bad info that a couple of not to well up on the subject guys here are going to or shouldn't deter him.
There used to be a poster who had a 40' Island Pilot hybrid. I believe it was RBTrane. The boat seems to be for sale now and it doesn't look like he has posted on TF in almost a year. The stated range is 25NM and I believe that is on batteries alone before the Steyr diesels have to kick in. I read the old posts and he liked the boat but admitted to some design deficiencies.

2009 Island Pilot DSe12m Hybrid Power Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

Note the 6Kw solar array. The price on the boat doesn't seem to be that bad for a 40' late model trawler.

My thought is 50-60NM range is needed to be a commercial success.
Old 11-10-2014, 01:05 PM   #118
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
I don't disagree.....

But he and for that matter many other boaters don't like boats that are designed for commercial success.

There's no reason that a bilge full of good batteries, with a good compatible charging system and a good understanding of the boats limitations can't easily be met.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 01:30 PM   #119
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
But he and for that matter many other boaters don't like boats that are designed for commercial success.

There's no reason that a bilge full of good batteries, with a good compatible charging system and a good understanding of the boats limitations can't easily be met.
Unless there is some degree of commercial success, the boat designers, the manufacturers, the component builders, battery technology development just will not move forward. If I recall, RBTrane admitted the Island Pilot hybrid project was not a commercial success and I got the impression they were looking for a green market. He may not have been the designer but he certainly was involved with Island Pilot. I was kind of hoping he would chime in on this Elco project.

You don't have to look much farther than Tesla to see how commercial success leads to expansion of the envelope. They are able to sell a lot of electric automobiles which in turn leads to further R&D. Unfortunately, I don't think any boat builder has ever reached that kind of economy of scale although Sea Ray may have come close.
Old 11-10-2014, 01:41 PM   #120

City: Portsmouth, NH
Vessel Name: Misfit Toy
Vessel Model: 79' Mainship 34 MKI
One reason for commercial success is government subsidy. Sure, I'll build something good if the government makes it cheaper for consumers.

One reason Honda and Toyota had such great success with hybrids is that they were selling them at about 2/3rds the cost to make. They wrote it off as R&D. Why take long periods of time to develop technology and have to pay engineers six figure salaries when you can just put something together, give it to consumers, make it cheaper, and throw in a good warranty in case something comes up unforseen. That is exactly what happened. Toyota perfected it, sold it to Ford and Nissan, then came out with hybrid version 2.0 which was much better.

I hope everything works out with this conversion. Being different is cool!

Skinny is offline   Reply With Quote