Old 11-07-2014, 05:27 PM   #81
Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
If given a clean sheet of paper and a decent budget, I could design a diesel based propulsion system that would be incredibly quiet and smooth, and burn only a couple gallons of fuel for puttering around all day. Sailboat aux engines include numerous features to save cost, causing them to be rather rude and crude, but they get the job done. If designed for smooth and quiet and efficient, you could challenge the same features in an electric launch. And probably less initial and operating cost. Just need to set the parameters and go from there.

Ski in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 05:29 PM   #82
Guru

City: Maryland
Vessel Model: 42' Sportfish
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
I can't begin to comprehend someone taking an electric powered boat on the ICW from Norfolk to Miami.

Are there very many people trying it? Or any, perhaps aside from Reuben?

-Chris

Old 11-07-2014, 06:38 PM   #83

City: Jupiter, FL
Vessel Name: JOHN D. MACDONALD
Vessel Model: FAIRCHILD SCOUT 30
Starside, I love your boat. I would never own a wooden boat but am thankful that others have the desire and funds to keep them going. I am interested in this electric propulsion idea. I am wondering why you have gotten involved in it. What was the reason that you feel that electric propulsion is the way to go? I have rented Duffy launches a few times and love the silent, smooth propulsion. In the limited range sheltered water application it was great. But setting up a longer range situation would be expensive. Just wondering what you expect to do with your boat. What was it powered with originally and currently? Best of luck with what ever you do.
Billyfeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 06:56 PM   #84
Guru

If your system is 24 volt I just pulled a perfectly good mastervolt battery charger 24v/30amp/3 outputs units off my boat I will sell it for half new price.
eyschulman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 11:47 PM   #85

City: Washington, DC
Vessel Name: Starside
Vessel Model: 1930 Elco Marinette
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billyfeet View Post
Starside, I love your boat. I would never own a wooden boat but am thankful that others have the desire and funds to keep them going. I am interested in this electric propulsion idea. I am wondering why you have gotten involved in it. What was the reason that you feel that electric propulsion is the way to go? I have rented Duffy launches a few times and love the silent, smooth propulsion. In the limited range sheltered water application it was great. But setting up a longer range situation would be expensive. Just wondering what you expect to do with your boat. What was it powered with originally and currently? Best of luck with what ever you do.
Thank you for asking, Billyfeet!

My boat originally had a 3-cyl Perkins diesel -- I cruised her for a year and the engine was fine, although very loud. Still, it's a hardy engine and I've already gotten a few offers on it.

That said, I'm going electric for several reasons: (1) my boat is a "pocket cruiser" -- that is, she's only 27' and my cruising style is short range (I'm more of a picnic boat with an average cruise of 2 hours, so it's a natural transition for me to have a true electric launch (think: ELCO!)); (2) I'm a huge bird watcher -- and the electric motor is silent and allows me to sneak up on nature without alarming wildlife; (3) as a bird watcher and photographer, the electric motor allows me to cruise all year round...and the Chesapeake's waterfowl tends to be at its peak in the winter months, so I'll be one of the few boats out there able to take advantage of the natural beauty; and finally (4) I'm also an amatuar stargazer and have my own telescope and planetarium on board -- just imagine going out at night to star gaze away from people...with nothing but silence and the night sky....and a few good friends...

The only time I cruise longer is to exhibit at the classic boat shows. I do the St. Michael's show ever year...and I've been invited to a few others along the Bay. I admit that I'm very proud of Starside's restoration and love exhibiting her, not to mention being around other classic boats and their owners. There's a comraderie there that I value.

So there you have it...bird watcher, stargazer, and classic boat show exhibitor...in other words, I'm a marina hopper and a poet at heart! The electric launch just suits my style...and no winterizing! that's another benefit of going electric...you really can use your boat all year round...
-joan
Starside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 12:18 AM   #86
Scraping Paint

City: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starside View Post
IMy motor is the Elco motor w 6 deka 8D AGM glass matte wet cell batteries.
Haven't read every post in the thread, so maybe somone's already mentioned this. But depending on the exact batteries used, a pair of 6 volt golf cart type batteries will deliver about the same amp hours as a single 8D. And most 8D battery boxes will hold three 6vdc golf cart batteries. So if you have two 8D boxes you get the same power as three 8Ds.

That is what we did in our boat: six golf cart batteries in place of the original two 8Ds. So twice the house power (4 golf cart batteries) and the same start power (two golf cart batteries) with no change to the battery box arrangement or the boat's wiring other than the short cables tying the batteries together.

This might get you the additional power you need to do what you want to do without the hassle of a generator-- gas, diesel, electric, or bicycle pedal.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 10:36 AM   #87

Thank you, Marin.

My system is 12v but I'll ask my yard crew about that. Maybe I could have a few golf cart batteries as my backup. Love that it takes less space.

Thank you.
Old 11-08-2014, 11:29 AM   #88
TF Site Team

City: Chicago, IL
Vessel Name: Bay Pelican
Vessel Model: Krogen 42
Windpower for a boat, why hasn't someone thought of that.
Old 11-09-2014, 07:05 AM   #89
FF
Guru

Maybe I could have a few golf cart batteries as my backup. Love that it takes less space.

Battery power is based on weight (of the lead) not on size.

Deep cycles will work better for this application as most 8D are truck start batts that suffer in a deep cycle application.

I doubt if you will get 1/4 the range desired with out a very serious batter bank up sizing..

Post your desirements on ,

http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/

And see what folks who have attempted this have discovered.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 07:45 AM   #90
Guru

City: Maryland
Vessel Model: 42' Sportfish
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starside View Post
Thank you, Marin.

My system is 12v but I'll ask my yard crew about that. Maybe I could have a few golf cart batteries as my backup. Love that it takes less space.

I think you'll find with that motor you actually have a 48V propulsion system, comprised of (probably) 4x of the six 12V batteries you mentioned before. The way they're connected makes it into one 48V battery bank.

Your house systems may very well be 12V. I'm guessing the two remaining batteries (of your six) are connected differently, so that second bank remains at 12V.

Our recommendation for true deep cycle 6V golf cart batteries is mostly because they would seem to be better suited to your purpose.

But "takes less space" is not quite literally exact. Each single battery is smaller, but it takes a pair (two) of them to make 12V... so it takes 8 to make up a 48V system. OTOH, off the cuff I thought I was remembering 2x 6V batteries will fit in the same space as an 8D; but I think Marin said 3x in the same space as a single 8D... so in that sense, yep, you can stuff even more of 'em into the same area

-Chris
Old 11-09-2014, 07:53 AM   #91
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bay Pelican View Post
Windpower for a boat, why hasn't someone thought of that.
I think I mentioned a sail somewhere in this thread.

It seems to me for the OP's intended purpose of bird watching in the winter he would be better off just buying one of the Duffy electric boats mentioned previously and not messing up and devaluing his "classic" boat.

That's just my opinion.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 07:58 AM   #92
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
I think if done right and his Elco is in good condition to begin with....it might be a real niche boat and be worth more than he has in it.

True a bristol Elco is worth a pretty penny, but not sure the demand for one to be OK or capable of looping in that size would over that of exactly what he is trying to do.

Like Bertram 31 refits and others...

In fact, the guy who has the Duffy near me also has a classic Bert 31 and has been offered more than he has in it on numerous occasions.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 09:12 AM   #93
Guru

City: Fort Pierce
Vessel Name: Florita Ann
Vessel Model: 1982 Present
How many times do I have to cover this. Get a quality 110v to 12 volt battery charger. Avoid the inverter-charger units due to inefficiency. Get a high quality inverter, ohhh say 2000KW, very important, pure sine wave. No square wave, no modified sine wave, pure sine wave only.

Now that you are set up, your pure sine wave inverter is producing 110v from your batteries, insure your quality battery charger is on your 110 inverter circuit. Make sure your charger is on. Your inverter will provide 110 to your charger to charge your batteries.

Get back to me about the effectiveness of this well thought out plan. As a back up plan try the extension cord or even better a real generator. I would avoid the drag behind water turbine.
Mule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 09:27 AM   #94
Guru

City: Gloucester, MA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mule View Post
How many times do I have to cover this. Get a quality 110v to 12 volt battery charger. Avoid the inverter-charger units due to inefficiency. Get a high quality inverter, ohhh say 2000KW, very important, pure sine wave. No square wave, no modified sine wave, pure sine wave only.

Now that you are set up, your pure sine wave inverter is producing 110v from your batteries, insure your quality battery charger is on your 110 inverter circuit. Make sure your charger is on. Your inverter will provide 110 to your charger to charge your batteries.

Get back to me about the effectiveness of this well thought out plan. As a back up plan try the extension cord or even better a real generator. I would avoid the drag behind water turbine.
I agree. Go for it
Old 11-09-2014, 10:25 AM   #95
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
Hey guys, is this any way to treat a new member. I hope Starside has a good sense of humor. I know it is all in jest, but could be taken another way.

After reading through the suggestions, it is plain to see that dealing with an antique classic boat is a little different. To keep the purity of the appearance. solar and wind seem to be out. The 2 to 3 KW portable generator could work, but take a pretty long time to store much charge. It seems to me that hybrid power would be a good but expensive solution.

I don't think anyone has suggested a small (maybe 11-15 hp) 4 stroke outboard for emergency power. It could be off the boat unless on an extended cruise. Hartges has storage lockers that it could be stored on a wheeled stand that she could roll down the dock. The only addition to the boat would be a bracket that could raise and lower the motor.

https://www.google.com/search?q=sail...w=1366&bih=635

My $.02.
http://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 11:11 AM   #96
Guru

City: Fort Pierce
Vessel Name: Florita Ann
Vessel Model: 1982 Present
Aww, come on Don, we are on post #96.....this thing has morphed in every direction. In no way was I trying to be offensive to the OP. I think and hope my humor is well received and again I hope I help people laugh. Being offensive is hardly ever my intent. No worries...be happy...
Mule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 11:26 AM   #97

City: Jupiter, FL
Vessel Name: JOHN D. MACDONALD
Vessel Model: FAIRCHILD SCOUT 30
There sure have been a few tangents on this thread. But after sifting through the ashes it seems that Starside has a pretty good idea. The Elco electric propulsion motor seems like a very good product. There is a larger Elco Cruisette that has been repowered on the company web site. The big issue is the range. Perhaps the best way to get good info is from Elco because they have the engineering capability. You can do just about anything if you spend the money......
Billyfeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 11:51 AM   #98
Guru

City: Gloucester, MA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonstruck View Post
Hey guys, is this any way to treat a new member. I hope Starside has a good sense of humor. I know it is all in jest, but could be taken another way.

After reading through the suggestions, it is plain to see that dealing with an antique classic boat is a little different. To keep the purity of the appearance. solar and wind seem to be out. The 2 to 3 KW portable generator could work, but take a pretty long time to store much charge. It seems to me that hybrid power would be a good but expensive solution.

I don't think anyone has suggested a small (maybe 11-15 hp) 4 stroke outboard for emergency power. It could be off the boat unless on an extended cruise. Hartges has storage lockers that it could be stored on a wheeled stand that she could roll down the dock. The only addition to the boat would be a bracket that could raise and lower the motor.

https://www.google.com/search?q=sail...w=1366&bih=635

My $.02.
Your right, of course. It's just very interesting to see how this has all evolved. The OP asked a very specific question about an electric-driven generator to recharge her electric boat while underway/away from a dock. I think I answered it in the very first reply, and I must say I did so in a mature and adult manner. I can be a grown-up from time to time.

But of the 100 or so replies, virtually none of them address the question, but rather go on about whether the OP should be doing what she's doing, how it's all wrong, etc, etc.

I really admire the OP's commitment to older boats, clarity of values, clarity of use, and determination to succeed down a particular path. She may not be a physicist or an engineer, but seems way more determined to get something done than most people I know. I hope she succeeds, and admit to being a little punchy after 100 mostly-irrelevant replies.
Old 11-09-2014, 12:11 PM   #99
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedtree View Post
....... The OP asked a very specific question about an electric-driven generator to recharge her electric boat while underway/away from a dock. ..............
But couldn't explain what was meant by an "electric generator".
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 01:15 PM   #100

I must admit that I do get a little confused by so many who seem to think I am harming Starside.

I've done an amazing restoration, complete with refastening using Monel fasteners, not to mention repairing rot, frame boards, new rub & spray rails, stuffing box, paint, varnish, transom repairs & a hundred other things!

So I am a little miffed that so many seem to think that an electric conversion - after all I've done & spent on her - is ruining my Elco! I don't care for those negative judgments about my restoration decisions...& for those who say I should have gotten a Duffy? Why would I do that? I have a rare & special wooden vessel that is the perfect electric launch esp considering her Elco pedigree. I'll add that anyone who puts the time & money into these rare classics should be applauded, especially since Most peeps Do ruin their wood boats! They allow them to go unmaintained & they slowly die in someone's back yard or to sink at marinas! I rescued my boat from that fate & restored her to her former glory.

Anyway, just as everyone here has expressed an opinion, that is mine. I'll add that I do appreciate this Forum & truly hope to still connect with other boaters on the Bay...