Old 10-09-2012, 08:39 AM   #1
Guru

City: Full Time Cruising East Coast
Vessel Name: Meridian
Vessel Model: Krogen-42
ELCI plus GFCI?

If I use an ELCI do I also need GFCI's? I know they have a different trip level.
KK-42097
meridian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 09:40 AM   #2
Scraping Paint

City: Fort Lauderdale
Vessel Model: CHB 48 Zodiac YL 4.2
There is no law that says you need anything at all but if you want to follow the "best practices" you need both.

The ELCI goes on the shore power supply and the GFCIs are installed at point of use such as galley and heads or exterior outlets.
RickB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 09:50 AM   #3
Guru

City: Everett Wa
Vessel Name: Eagle
Vessel Model: Roughwater 58 pilot house
We had an insurance audit and it was recommend, really was required if we want insurance, to install GFI’s. Lows and Home sell plug in GFI which are cheap and easy to install. The also sell plug in breakers so we either have a breaker or a GFI on all our plug ins.

At the same time we had to install a double throw breaker between the boat shore plug in and the main power switch which most older boasts do not have. Many electrical power fire/short are at the main power switch.
Phil Fill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 12:49 PM   #4
FF
Guru

These are all great , but a few sockets with out a GFI may be required for many power tools or older appliances..
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 08:51 AM   #5

Survey noted no GFIs in galley or head. Insurance would like that corrected. Head no problem, but galley???. Would like to keep one for tools etc, so where does the galley end in a California 34LRC. I'm thinking the outlets on the far side of the cabin, across from the sink and stove could stay as they are--standard outlet. Or at a minimum the outlet on the forward, far side area under the windshield. ???
Fighterpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 09:01 AM   #6
JD
Guru

City: New Bern NC
Vessel Name: Stella Di Mare
Vessel Model: Mainship 34t
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighterpilot View Post
Survey noted no GFIs in galley or head. Insurance would like that corrected. Head no problem, but galley???. Would like to keep one for tools etc, so where does the galley end in a California 34LRC. I'm thinking the outlets on the far side of the cabin, across from the sink and stove could stay as they are--standard outlet. Or at a minimum the outlet on the forward, far side area under the windshield. ???
Why not put one on each side? If it is the first in line from the breaker it will GFI all of the down stream outlets.
JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 09:03 AM   #7

City: Ventura, CA
Vessel Name: Vyndance
Vessel Model: 48 Californian CP
If you can reach it from the sink it should be GFCI. If not no worries.
Vyndance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 08:02 AM   #8
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post
These are all great , but a few sockets with out a GFI may be required for many power tools or older appliances..
If a tool or appliance routinely trips a GFCI, the tool or appliance should be repaired or replaced. It is a safety hazzard, especially around water.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 08:03 AM   #9
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD View Post
Why not put one on each side? If it is the first in line from the breaker it will GFI all of the down stream outlets.
If it is wired for this. They can be wired to protect downstream outlets or not.
Old 10-11-2012, 10:29 AM   #10
JD
Guru

City: New Bern NC
Vessel Name: Stella Di Mare
Vessel Model: Mainship 34t
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
If it is wired for this. They can be wired to protect downstream outlets or not.
Agree but aren't the instructions quite clear as to how to do it. If I remember it is one or two jumpers that need to be connected or disconnected.
JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 11:25 AM   #11
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD View Post
Agree but aren't the instructions quite clear as to how to do it. If I remember it is one or two jumpers that need to be connected or disconnected.
There should be instructions. If they are not clear, get some help. Sometimes you want to protect other outlets, sometimes not. On a boat, I would protect them all somehow.

When you finish, test the downstream outlets. Home centers have outlet testers that will check polarity, continuity, and GFCI function.