E14 threaded 12v LEDs?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wkearney99

Guru
Vessel Name
Solstice
Vessel Make
Grand Banks 47 Eastbay FB
I've got a pair of reading lamps over bed headboard in the forward stateroom. The existing incandescents are way too bright and generate way too much heat. I'd like to find some LEDs but the few I've found put out what seems like will be too much light. This one from Marine Beam puts out 280 lumens.

Anyone found Edison E14-sized LEDs?

The fixtures I have (Cantalupi 'Queen') are switched on the lamps themselves, no wall switch. Which is another annoyance, but not directly related to this. The wall switch wiring and dimmer placements (for ceiling lights) is it's own set of 'challenges'. I don't know that I could add on-switch dimming, at least not to these fixtures. I'd have to swap out the fixtures entirely. Which wouldn't be out of the realm of consideration, but I'd prefer to make that the last resort. It'd be nice to find something that had the same dimensions for the mount (or larger) to avoid issues with the varnish finish.

What about using E14-to-something socket adapters? Any experiences using them?

Attachments

• 20180725_200348.jpg
    20180725_200348.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 128
  • dimensions fotog.jpg
    dimensions fotog.jpg
    9 KB · Views: 122
I would be tempted to tap into the power and add outbound and lower a pair of much smaller LED fixtures that I could reach without trouble. Good luck

I'm not unhappy with the existing fixtures, but will entertain replacing them as the last resort. They work now and with all the other things I've been upgrading I'll eventually run into the "why?" question from the wife. There's things worth doing and then there's things that draw unnecessary scrutiny, if you catch my drift.

I'm going to look into finding some E14 to G4 socket adapters. It seems the 2-pin G4 plug offers about the widest array of replacement bulb options. That or wedge.

“Unnecessary scrutiny”. I understand that big time and love the phrase.

There's limits to how far one wants to go when inflicting the side effects of one's hobbies on their spouse/family. In AV/home automation circles this evolved into the WAF (Wife Acceptance Factor). As in, make it too fiddly and the wife will start to complain, thus dooming the effort to being forever criticized (deservedly or not).

I had 12 years with the old boat and plenty of time to spread out the upgrades. The initial season with this boat gives me some leeway on bringing it up to the same level as the old boat.

I ordered a set of adapters for both G4 (2-pin) and G9 (wedge) bulbs. Along with an assortment of LEDs.

I've been experimenting with several Marine Beam G4 modules and have mixed opinions on them. They're dead simple to install as replacements for G4 halogens. But their white color temp is a bit colder than I'd like. They're much whiter than the previous halogens. 3000K, they say. I'm partial to 2700K or warmer.

I'll have more to say on that later.

I ordered a set of adapters for both G4 (2-pin) and G9 (wedge) bulbs. Along with an assortment of LEDs.

I've been experimenting with several Marine Beam G4 modules and have mixed opinions on them. They're dead simple to install as replacements for G4 halogens. But their white color temp is a bit colder than I'd like. They're much whiter than the previous halogens. 3000K, they say. I'm partial to 2700K or warmer.

I'll have more to say on that later.

I ordered my bulbs from Hero Led. All have temperature color choices, some as many as 4 choices. You buy direct from China (almost all LEDs are made in china). DC voltage range is from 10 to 30. After 3 years, I've had 3 failures out of 70 bulbs.

https://www.hero-led.com/led-light-bulbs-g4-c-202_911_151.html

Ted

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom