Duracell Deep Cycle Batteries

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chucks

Has anyone used Duracell for their house bank. I see they have a lot of power and are much cheaper than others. Thoughts!

chuck

Duracell aGM

We have 8 group 31 duracell agms we bought at Sam's 3 years ago for a solar bank to run our invert er. They were priced right as I recall and required no trade in. We have spent up to a week on the hook with out running the genset or engine. We paid $136.78 each plus tax back then
When the 3 wet cell 8Ds give out that are the engines and old house bank set give out I will replace them with the Group 31s

Duracell® AGM Deep Cycle Marine and RV Battery - Group Size 31 - Sam's Club

Hope this helps
Sonny

I use 8 group 31's in my Mainship 40 Sedan Bridge for everything from the thruster, to a pair off each engine and an aux house battery bank. I currently have 2 Lifeline 8Ds for the primary house bank.
The 31 series is a great package good starting amps and good 20 hr house rated.
It's a great overall package in my opinion for the price.
These DuraCell AGM batteries look very inviting.

I use Batteries Plus "Xtreme" brand of wet cell group 31's deep cells and group 27 starters. No problem in nearly five years. Very affordable. Topped off with distilled water once about 2 yeqrs ago, not much water needed.

I'm interested in these Duracell group 31 agm batts. Looking forward to learning more! :thumb:

In the old days HI FI was whatever the seller claimed it was.

Today DEEP CYCLE has the same almost zero meaning.

The industry standard is the amperage rating at 20 HOURS

• 1 amp hour rate:68.2
  • 100 amp hour rate:110
  • 20 amp hour rate:105
  • 3 amp hour rate:85
  • 5 amp hour rate:86
  • 6 amp hour rate:87.4
  • 8 amp hour rate:90
  • BCI Group Size:31
  • CCA at 0 degrees F:800
  • MCA at 32 degrees F:1000
  • Minutes at 15 amps:348
  • Minutes at 25 amps:210
  • Minutes at 5 amps:1265
  • Minutes at 50 amps:87.4
  • Minutes at 75 amps:53
  • Minutes at 8 amps:706
  • Reserve Capacity:200
  • Volts:12
This is very nice but as designed USELESS to compare with other genuine deep cycle batts.

These batts could be fine , but look more like universal RV marine start , trolling motor batts.

With out real numbers ???????? HI FI!

I mentioned the 20AH hr rate as well. I too noticed it was missing. However that doesn't mean these batteries aren't fine for use as dual purpose or a house battery. I would be nice if they did post the 20AH hr rating.
My 31 series Lifelines do have a 20AH hr rating and they are a quality battery to use as a house bank, given you use enough of them to meet your DC energy needs.
Bill

Last edited:
Thanks all, it gets a little confusing with the listings on specs is like what FF replied with. I see this now and I am not sure how to interpret when looking at other deep cycles that call out their capacity such as 230AMP Hour.

In the old days HI FI was whatever the seller claimed it was.

Today DEEP CYCLE has the same almost zero meaning.

The industry standard is the amperage rating at 20 HOURS

• 1 amp hour rate:68.2
  • 100 amp hour rate:110
  • 20 amp hour rate:105
  • 3 amp hour rate:85
  • 5 amp hour rate:86
  • 6 amp hour rate:87.4
  • 8 amp hour rate:90
  • BCI Group Size:31
  • CCA at 0 degrees F:800
  • MCA at 32 degrees F:1000
  • Minutes at 15 amps:348
  • Minutes at 25 amps:210
  • Minutes at 5 amps:1265
  • Minutes at 50 amps:87.4
  • Minutes at 75 amps:53
  • Minutes at 8 amps:706
  • Reserve Capacity:200
  • Volts:12
This is very nice but as designed USELESS to compare with other genuine deep cycle batts.

These batts could be fine , but look more like universal RV marine start , trolling motor batts.

With out real numbers ???????? HI FI!

So what "real numbers are you looking for?

Sam's Duracell batteries are made by East Penn (Deka) batteries according to Sam's people when I was inquiring.

I also called East Penn and was told they put the Duracell label on batteries from the same line as their Deka batteries with no difference in the manufacture.

So using my powers of Google Fu ( not to be confused with Kung Fu) I offer he following.

Marine Batteries and Boat Batteries - Gel Batteries, Gel Cell Batteries and Dominator - AGM and AGM Batteries

Numbers....ya want numbers? ya got em

Last edited:
Xtreme 31 deep cycle and 27 starter Batts I purchase at "Batteries Plus" are also from East Penn. Our area store has provided great service, good prices, and it's owner Bill answers any question I have.

George, I was trying to understand what the total amp hour capacity of one kind of battery was to another when all they do is list all these run times at multiple amps.
If I were to look at a well know bat. such as Trojan, they would say total cap. is xxx amp hours. With some thing like Duracell they give a list of what is possible for run time based on how much you use, but don't tell you what the total capacity is. I guess I am just a person stuck in the past and want apples to apples even though I should probably be able to figure this stuff out.
Thanks
chuck

Chucks, I bought those same batteries at Sams and called East Penn to make sure what was the deal, just like Scotty. Anyway, I am 2 years into using them and took East Penns advise on charge rate. I dont charge over 20% of the capacity. I have 6 (6v) hooked together totalling 690 amp hours. The East Penn tech rep was very nice and informative. I hear so many differences in opinions I didnt know what to believe so I went to the manufactor.

The 20 amp hour rate is the standard and Sam's listed it specifically in their specs, among others, which if you a re a battery nerd is important .Trojan does the same, but less information. There is no such thing as a "total capacity spec".

There is no such thing as a "total capacity spec".

The 20 hour rate is an industry standard , so batts of different design, construction from the few different mfg cam be compared.

Not using industry std terms is like a car mfg saying 350 lamp posts to a dram of gas. Interesting , but useles.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom