Old 10-13-2011, 10:10 PM   #21
Guru

City: Vashon Island, WA
Vessel Name: Island Breeze
Vessel Model: 1974 Grand Banks 36-427
Send a message via Skype™ to kolive
RE: Droid Apps

There are a few I have on mine that I actually use and like.* For night travel to look at charts I use a red light called "Astronomy Flashlight". I also use a decibel meter to measure sound levels as part of a soundproofing project I am doing, it is called "Sound Meter".

Keith Olive

Willard 30

kolive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 10:20 PM   #22
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: "Sandpiper"
Vessel Model: 2006 42' Ocean Alexander Sedan

Quote:
kolive wrote:
*I also use a decibel meter to measure sound levels as part of a soundproofing project I am doing, it is called "Sound Meter".
* * * * Are you serious? A decibel meter? That is so cool!

***** I just googled it and this is what I found.

Sound Meter - Android app on AppBrain
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sound meter.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	97.0 KB
ID:	7962  

Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 10:46 PM   #23
TF Site Team

City: California Delta and SF Bay
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC

Very cool tools. Here's a collection of 14 assorted tools called Smart Tools for $2.49, including the db and vibration meters, smart compass and metal detector. I gotta have those!! Thanks, Keith!
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 05:35 AM   #24
Guru

City: Cary, NC
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 4200 Classic

From a sound professional's perspective (that's me), the JL Audio app is free and has far more to offer. Check it out.
Tom.B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 10:38 PM   #25
TF Site Team

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Model: Carver 356

I have close to $5k of JL Audio "Apps" on board....:-\
Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 10:45 PM   #26
TF Site Team

Just a heads up....I am battling Navionics on an ethical issue. They have recently realigned and renamed their apps(coverage regions) so if you wipe your phone and go to reinstall, your app is not there....is does NOT exist. I am going back and forth with them on it at this time. They claim the new app has more coverage and features and merits the "extra" charge. I have a very hard time with this since I already paid for the app and it has basically disappeared from the market.

They should have at least offered an update that tied the old with the new. Or they could have alerted their customers of a change in features and asked for partial payment......although Netflis realized this wasn't exactly the way to go. Anyway, I am pretty irritated. Obviously, it has nothing to do with the money. But what is to stop an app developer from selling you an app and then make it "disappear" only to charge you AGAIN when you want it back?????? I am PISSED!!!! Anyway, will let you know how it plays out. I have been talking to Android Market Support and they have been awesome....although powerless. And Navionics has been very straight forward but they have not relented in giving someone like me a credit.

Bottom line, If you have the old app, do not let it go or it is gone and you will be paying for another one!!!!!
Old 10-24-2011, 11:02 PM   #27
TF Site Team

Had some fun this weekend with Google Sky Map. It's a great way to identify celestial bodies and constellations in the night sky.

Just loaded Beat the Traffic for road traffic alerts and detours. Does anyone have a better app for this?
Old 10-26-2011, 08:01 AM   #28
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express

Finally got the Navionics app installed.* My first order for the $9.95 version must have gone in during the conversion.* It was charged but not downloaded.* After a little discussion, they credited the account.* I then downloaded the $16,00 and change version. It is dynamite.* Everything from the Bahamas to Alaska.

Now to learn to work it.* No manuel or help buttom.* Biggest problem is how to get back to the cursor location.* All in all it looks great.

John and others, thanks for your help.
Moonstruck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 11:03 AM   #29
TF Site Team

Don, to get back to the cursor, just press the GPS button or symbol. I am going by memory(since, obviously I do not possess the app anymore) but I think that is it. Or even "position". Those selections are likely in the menu bar. When you press the menu button at the bas of your phone, a menu pops up at the bottom of your phone. One of those selections above is available and will get you back to your location.
Old 10-26-2011, 09:16 PM   #30
TF Site Team

Don, I click the blue arrowhead/GPS position logo on the bottom left corner to re-center on my location. Mine is the $10 version and I'm not sure if there is a difference with the $16 version.

Baker, what are you using on your droid for flight planning, charts and weather? I've heard great things about ForeFlight in iPads, so I loaded ForeFlight weather today for $10, but it was a disappointment. I only displayed basic weather info in a simple format. It was nothing like the full featured app for the Apple products with complete wx, flight planning and charts. I returned it within 15 mins for a refund.
Old 10-27-2011, 07:36 PM   #31
TF Site Team

No flight planning apps here....I use those dispatcher dudes... But I do know there are some excellent aviation weather apps. I used to have a few but they fell out and I haven't reloaded them.
Old 10-27-2011, 07:42 PM   #32
TF Site Team

SPOILED!!

If you had our dispatch dudes and dudettes, you'd do your own flight planning, too.

You probably have PDC and don't even have to copy or readback a clearance, right?
Old 10-29-2011, 05:09 PM   #33
TF Site Team

Quote:
FlyWright wrote:
SPOILED!!

If you had our dispatch dudes and dudettes, you'd do your own flight planning, too.

You probably have PDC and don't even have to copy or readback a clearance, right?
*This is true! *ANd the flight plan is uplinked via ACARS and we do not even have to load the flight plan into the FMC...we just hit the "Accept" button and then execute and everything is loaded. *Same goes for weight and balance...loads straight into the "box" and then a hard copy prints out onto the printer. *And in oceanic airspace we have ADS and CPDLC....which basically makes out position reports for us...no need to call on that scratchy ass HF radio....now I'm just braggin'....
Old 10-30-2011, 10:35 AM   #34
Guru

Droid Apps

Quote:
Baker wrote:*This is true! *ANd the flight plan is uplinked via ACARS and we do not even have to load the flight plan into the FMC...we just hit the "Accept" button and then execute and everything is loaded. *Same goes for weight and balance...loads straight into the "box" and then a hard copy prints out onto the printer. *And in oceanic airspace we have ADS and CPDLC....which basically makes out position reports for us...no need to call on that scratchy ass HF radio....now I'm just braggin'....
*Soooo.. the next step is single seat cockpits??!!!!!

Yup, it's coming just a matter of time.

Next generation of jets will probably have auto takeoff and company policy will probably be no hand flown landings unless daylight VFR with winds less than 10kts. Prior Approval Required.

Our company policy already dictates no manual thrust unless daylight VFR.

Technology is a wonderful thing most of the time, but not always. The AB 380 with the un-contained engine failure took the crew 2.5 hrs to get thru all the ECAM procedures. That's crazy!

But there is no going back and technology will eventually replace the pilot profession, but that's progress and in the end will probably make airline accidents un-heard of.

Personally I liked the B737-200 where you were taught the systems and understood what each switch and lever did. Your understaning of the systems and aircraft capability allowed you to deal with an emergency pretty straight forward.

Todays jets with their computers running everything positioning a switch without following a defined checklist can have un-intended consequences. Therefore most pilots knowledge of aircraft systems is somewhat limited (as compared to previous generation aircraft) and following written or electronically displayed procedures is a must. But sometimes at a loss of situational awareness.

-- Edited by timjet on Sunday 30th of October 2011 10:43:49 AM

-- Edited by timjet on Sunday 30th of October 2011 10:52:40 AM
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 05:08 AM   #35
TF Site Team

Tim, something tells me you fly Airbuses?
Old 10-31-2011, 06:05 AM   #36
Curmudgeon

City: Stoney Creek, MD
Vessel Name: Moon Dance
Vessel Model: 1974 34' Marine Trader Sedan

I might be the last to know this, but there is an free app from BoatUs that will give the TowBoat people your exact location when you press the button to call for a tow.* I don't know that it's a replacement for DSC but it's a comforting alternative for those of us who rarely venture out of sight of land.
BaltimoreLurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 06:28 AM   #37
Guru

Quote:
Baker wrote:
Tim, something tells me you fly Airbuses?
*Was it the unintended consequences or the loss of situational awareness?
Old 11-01-2011, 09:52 AM   #38
TF Site Team

Hahahaha....anyway, I guess we have veered from the subject here.

I did some poking around on my SD card inside my phone and I managed to recover my Navionics app that had disappeared and that Navionics had pulled from the market. I understand that Navionics is treating this like they treat a chart chip, but in the Android market you don't sell a product and then pull it and replace it with something else. You UPDATE it and allow your customers the ability to keep the app that they paid for. Anyway, like Netflix, I hope they learn from this snafu. When I called Android support and mentioned the word "Navionics" they already knew what I was talking about....a lot of complaints.
Old 11-01-2011, 10:08 AM   #39
TF Site Team

Droid Apps

Glad to hear yo were able to recover it, Baker.

I found a useful FREE app yesterday that locks selected apps and used face recognition technology to unlock the apps. It requires a front camera to view and recognize your face. If you choose to protect an app such as your bank's app, when you open the app, the camera turns on and in a couple seconds locks on and recognizes your mug. It then allows the app to open. There is also a selectable password to override the face recognition feature.

It's called Visidon AppLock.

-- Edited by FlyWright on Tuesday 1st of November 2011 10:09:21 AM
Old 11-02-2011, 05:44 AM   #40
Guru

John, thanks for the heads up about Navionics. I'll becareful about not loosing it. A BIG complaint I have about the program is the depths displayed are so small they are very difficult to read. Zooming in does no good as they reset to the very small font.*

FlyWright; that face recongnition sounds cool. I'm not sure I would trust it though with my banking stuff. Several years ago I decided not to use bill pay or my notebook computer to connect to any of my bank accounts vi
WiFi while traveling.*

A commercial customer of BOA lost about $90 grand from his commercial account because someone hi-jacked his computer. BOA did not take responsibility because they said his computer was hi-jacked and not BOA's.*