Old 12-30-2015, 06:04 PM   #21
Guru

City: Saint Augustine, Fl.
Quote:
Originally Posted by refugio View Post
It's all 24vdc? Must be inconvenient for electronics though good for heavy loads. I can't imagine trying to source everything in 24v - like my security cameras.

I have both 12v and 24v - the Volvo TMD100A needs 24v to start. When I bought it there was a whacky relay that series connected two 12v batteries to start.

Keith
Some electronics (Furuno) can accept voltage from 12-32 without any changes right out of the box. There are others.

Sailor of Fortune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 09:01 PM   #22
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
My inverter isn't working so can't charge batteries at the berth (or make air from the compressor or have AC aboard.) On minimal "life support," the boat uses about 1.5 percent of battery charge a day, so after two weeks, the batteries dropped from 98 to 75 percent. This last Saturday, went on a four-hour outing to recharge the battery, expecting a five-percent recharge per hour.

Well, after two hours, the battery charge moved from 75 to 85-percent charge. But then soon after, it bounced to 100 percent where it remained at that level for the remainder of the voyage.

Can anyone explain the bounce?
Back again, 13 days after the above observation, the battery level was at 79 percent, about what was expected from starting at 100 percent. After 140 minutes of operation today, the charge had reached 90 percent and then an instant later the reading was a full charge of 100 percent. The voltmeter began at a reading of 28 volts and ended with 26 volts, which was normal.

Old 01-08-2016, 11:24 PM   #23
TF Site Team

City: California Delta and SF Bay
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
What has changed in the past 13 days? Same inoperative inverter/charger? Is that what's providing you the charge data? If so, I wouldn't trust it until verified by an independent and fully functioning system.

Why not just buy a new unit?

Custom Google Trawler Forum Search
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 12:47 PM   #24
Master and Commander

No change. Been frustrated replacing it. Last year after taking the boat to the yard, the inverter began working again. Also, two companies haven't returned my calls. Meanwhile, operating the boat a couple of hours every couple of weeks or so, relying on the engine's alternator, keeps batteries adequately charged despite the jump in charge level readings.
Old 01-10-2016, 07:47 AM   #25
FF
Guru

Can anyone explain the bounce?

The V regulator only knows volts . I believe the unit charged to 85% , and then switched to float .

Perhaps an adjustment is required as batts only brought to 85% , see that as the "norm" and so shrink in terms of output available.

It takes mucho time above 85% to finally get to a full charge , so long many cruisers don't bother , or use solar for the final 10-15% .

This is well understood and the "shrinking" due to perpetual under charge is why many cruisers start out with oversized batt banks.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 07:01 PM   #26
Master and Commander

Well, looks like there is little to worry about over-charging the batteries.

So, given a 440 amp battery which can only readily be charged 85 percent and wanting to avoid discharging below 60 percent, there are only 110 amps available before recharging?