Does there exist power cord yellow paint that holds up a year or two outside ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Others do; hence the inquiry by the OP. With respect, if you don't why make any comment at all unless you have a suggestion that would help the OP.
Some people just can't resist blurting out , "I don't need no stinkin'______________" (fill in the blank)

Makes themselves fell superior in some way I guess. To restate, this is not a big deal over nothing, but a small deal over something....a minor something but something...and also depends on just how ugly the cord is.

As it is a good practice to chop off 6 -12 inches of cable after a years service , or swop it from end to end ,

I wonder why folks are willing to purchase expensive cables with sealed ends?

Cords with sealed ends don't have the problem of water getting inside the end.

As for swapping the connectors end to end, if they are sealed, you can't do this.

If you ever tried swapping the ends on the cord you would have noticed that at one end of the cord, the three wires fall right in to place; black to black, white to white and green to green. Not so at the other end.

To be specific, the male cord cap goes on one end of a piece of cable, the female on the other. You can force it the wrong way of course with a lot of twisting but there's a right way and a wrong way.

Cords with sealed ends don't have the problem of water getting inside the end.

As for swapping the connectors end to end, if they are sealed, you can't do this.

If you ever tried swapping the ends on the cord you would have noticed that at one end of the cord, the three wires fall right in to place; black to black, white to white and green to green. Not so at the other end.

To be specific, the male cord cap goes on one end of a piece of cable, the female on the other. You can force it the wrong way of course with a lot of twisting but there's a right way and a wrong way.
Yep.... not to mention the fact that as previously mentioned, on a Cablemaster the boat connection end of the cord is hard wired inside the boat...there is no plug to swap.

I have cleaned mine with acetone brings back the bright yellow by taking a small amount of the surface off the cord

I have cleaned mine with acetone brings back the bright yellow by taking a small amount of the surface off the cord

I would worry about the long term affects of this on the outer jacket insulation. All of the Marinco Line has PVC jackets and acetone is a solvent for that material. A better solution would be ethanol, methanol or toluene.

I suppose if you were to wipe the cord with acetone then spray the vinyl paint on right as it flashes it would provide better adhesion but again the long term affects may be an issue.

Good luck,
Bob

Clean cords with GoJo hand cleaner if not already mentioned here. Works great on all cords.

"Cords with sealed ends don't have the problem of water getting inside the end."

Except the cords left unused on the dock , when it rains , and of course those dropped in the water . OOOPS

The metal parts are seldom water tight to the plug.

Yes that was assumed, most 50a plugs are removable. If you have the capability to flip the cable then you can do the same with the plug.

However I personally would just leave the whole thing be. Keeping a shorepower cable "pretty" is a fools game.

So, the OP is a fool in your estimation. Why do some folks (you) insist on denigrating others for what they want to do? If you have nothing to offer the OP, why not just keep your mouth shut? I'm so tired of seeing these sorts of worthless responses to sincere inquiries.

So, the OP is a fool in your estimation. Why do some folks (you) insist on denigrating others for what they want to do? If you have nothing to offer the OP, why not just keep your mouth shut? I'm so tired of seeing these sorts of worthless responses to sincere inquiries.
Well aren't you the PC looking for an argument.
If you had bothered to read the entire thread you would have noticed that I answered the OPs question. Secondly where do you see that I called the OP a fool? I simply said that cleaning a shorepower cord is a task that never ends. Ergo a fools game. And I said that in response to another,not the OP.

Doesn`t, by expansion, "a fools game" mean "a game of a fool"? I know the apostrophe was omitted, but that`s not uncommon in expression these days.

Doesn`t, by expansion, "a fools game" mean "a game of a fool"? I know the apostrophe was omitted, but that`s not uncommon in expression these days.
Not so Screenshot_20171018-235004.jpg

Well aren't you the PC looking for an argument.
If you had bothered to read the entire thread you would have noticed that I answered the OPs question. Secondly where do you see that I called the OP a fool? I simply said that cleaning a shorepower cord is a task that never ends. Ergo a fools game. And I said that in response to another,not the OP.
PC argument. Hardly. Doesn't matter what you said elsewhere. And in your response to me you misrepresented your original statement which said "is IS (emphasis added) a fool's errand". Either way, it was denigrating. And I stand by my statement that such responses are clearly unhelpful. It does not matter that somewhere else in a long thread you provided some help. In the end your statement was insulting IMHO.

I've had shore power cables last more than 10 years.
With this boat, I had one 30 amp cable coiled, sitting on the dock box. Over night, it was too much temptation for some kids. The threw it into the salt water. I did not chance it. I bought a new cable.
Now you know why I put a cable around my dock boxes, on the seawall.

"Cords with sealed ends don't have the problem of water getting inside the end."

Except the cords left unused on the dock , when it rains , and of course those dropped in the water . OOOPS

The metal parts are seldom water tight to the plug.

Seldom? Either they are or they are not. I say they are.

We don't leave power cords unused on the dock do we? And we try very hard not to drop them in the water.

Once you get one a bit hot, the plastic isulation tends to pull away from the metal.

Years of working them may do it to.

Much better plastic than 2O years ago but I do see FFs point.

I will admit, I have a spare set of shore power cables on board.

Making your bed in the morning, keeping the head clean, getting the galley cleaned up. For that matter maintaining your boat properly, it's all a fool's game innit.

I agree, contribute constructively, not "I just don't bother"

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom