Does anyone read chinese?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Probably Mandarin, but I don't - well - because I can't read it.....

I have a few unused wires in my boat. They are nicely labeled at their ends, but I have no ida what it says. If anyone can read Chinese, please let me know and I can post pictures. The labels probably say "good luck finding the other end".

If you can somehow turn the pix into text, google translate may help. But at my work we have a few native Chinese speakers I could run it by on Monday.

No but email a picture to Jeff L at Nordhavn and ask him what it says.

That's certainly an option, but it will just get sent to the yard for translation. Dan speaks Mandarin, but doesn't know the written language - I already asked him.....

Greetings,
Mr. tt. My fluency in Mandarin is limited to about a dozen phrases but interesting that you have Chinese characters aboard. On our previous vessel (Marine Trader 34' DC) I was in the process of a re-furb' of one of the heads and noticed inscriptions on the sink drain and a shower fitting. A nice young lady at work translated for me. The sink drain was labelled "Thousands of mountains" and the shower fitting was labelled "Pearl River electrical company"....Still scratching my head over that one.

Greetings,
Mr. tt. My fluency in Mandarin is limited to about a dozen phrases but interesting that you have Chinese characters aboard. On our previous vessel (Marine Trader 34' DC) I was in the process of a re-furb' of one of the heads and noticed inscriptions on the sink drain and a shower fitting. A nice young lady at work translated for me. The sink drain was labelled "Thousands of mountains" and the shower fitting was labelled "Pearl River electrical company"....Still scratching my head over that one.

Thats about 10 phrases more than I know. I know Hello and Thank you. Thats it.

Greetings,
Mr. tt. Had a number of Chinese clients over the years. I thought it necessary for me to be able to say a few things, both to clarify directions and be polite. Interesting language and people.

Good luck with it. I have some Chinese writing on the foam inserts in the FB cushions, assume it`s the dimensions, but who knows.

No Chinese on our head, but it was inspected by Jesus.

Here are two of the labels. It's possible they say the same thing, but I don't know the subtleties of the characters.

Attachments

• PCH_2016-06-17_10-10_2690.jpg
    PCH_2016-06-17_10-10_2690.jpg
    133.6 KB · Views: 177
  • PCH_2016-06-27_17-54_2701-2.jpg
    PCH_2016-06-27_17-54_2701-2.jpg
    183 KB · Views: 188
Probably Mandarin, but I don't - well - because I can't read it.....

I have a few unused wires in my boat. They are nicely labeled at their ends, but I have no ida what it says. If anyone can read Chinese, please let me know and I can post pictures. The labels probably say "good luck finding the other end".
Both my in-laws were fluent in, and wrote Mandarin and Thai. Sadly both dead now, sorry. Maybe if I held a séance..? :nonono:

I`m really surprised, so far, no TF member knows the language. Our schools teach Asian languages,but when I was at school it was French, Latin, German,Italian, if you were lucky. And English.

Google translate says L Ink for the first one and Bare for the second one...lol

He's the feed back I got from some Chinese friends.

"They said not really Chinese writing. Annie says something about Driving and Machine. They said maybe Japanese."

Update based on second picture.

"Ahh, Annie said Engine steering paddle and last two words ReUse"

Did you try Google Translate?

(Of course you would need a Chinese keyboard, but hey...)

Sounds like it could have something to do with the rudder.

"Re-use" could mean "not used" perhaps?

Rudder feed back wire?

Ring tone it.

Greetings,
May I add, it may be Chinese but a different dialect. Until the national standardization to Mandarin, there were numerous forms of Chinese spoken AND written. Even today, Mandarin is not universally spoken in China. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mandarin_Chinese
The calligraphy on the wiring might be a regional form known only to a few (maybe 800 million or so???)
The pronunciation of Chinese is so subtle I was always afraid of insulting someone by mispronouncing what little Mandarin I know.
So, it could be Mr. 11 that your Asian translator is not totally familiar with this particular form of lettering/signing. Mr. 11. Just saw your posts. Now we're getting somewhere.

I believe that countries using logograms, such as China, are at a disadvantage due to the extra effort mastering the written language.

It reads: "Congratulation, you have nice boat but anchor a POS."

Greetings,
Mr. hm. "It reads: "Congratulation, you have nice boat but anchor a POS."Signed Shoeless Wing...
There, fixed it for you.

Thanks, I thought there were a few characters I missed.

Looking at this I think it is boat fortune cookies and the translation is more or less as follow:
"Wise is the captain following the wires but wiser is the one connecting them"
Don't ask me what that mean I have no clue :D

I believe that countries using logograms, such as China, are at a disadvantage due to the extra effort mastering the written language.

It doesn't seem to be holding them back. ;)

Sounds like it could have something to do with the rudder.

"Re-use" could mean "not used" perhaps?

Rudder feed back wire?

Ring tone it.

I suspect you are right, but it still doesn't really make sense.

The first picture is a cable in my electrical cabinet in the pilot house. This is where all the breakers are, and where everything originates. If I remember correctly, it's a 3 conductor cable, green+black+white, so what's used for 120VAC wiring.

The second pictures is a similar 3 conductor cable - maybe the other end of the first picture, or maybe not - and it is located under my main engine.

"Driving Machine" could mean "Main Engine"

"Steering Paddle" might be "rudder", but the cable is no where the rudder.

Does the upper picture say the same thing, or something different? That would at least tell me if I'm looking at teh two ends of the same cable.

I have at least one other unused cable up under my flybridge brow, but I don't have a picture of that one. So I have three unidentified ends.

......The first picture is a cable in my electrical cabinet in the pilot house. This is where all the breakers are, and where everything originates. If I remember correctly, it's a 3 conductor cable, green+black+white, so what's used for 120VAC wiring.

The second pictures is a similar 3 conductor cable - maybe the other end of the first picture, or maybe not - and it is located under my main engine.

I know..! Connect your multimeter to each wire end, in the circuit continuity mode, ie ohms resistance, or better still the buzzer, if yours has it. That would tell if they were the ends of the same wire...course you'd have to add in fairly lengthy extra extension wires to the pos and neg leads of the meter... :D

Back
Top Bottom