Do you really need an inverter?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

swampu

Guru
Commercial Member
Vessel Name
Cajun Rose
Vessel Make
Biloxi Lugger
Good evening soon to be fellow trawler enthusiast! I have come to a decision on the electrical set up. I've been tormenting over the size of the battery bank and inverter/charger and all the alternators and monitors needed to run a good size house bank. I've determined that I was going to use the following:
--24v system using (4) 8d's which would have given me about 510 ah at a cost of ($3,000.00)
--Magnum Inverter/Charger 4000 watts with peak 7200 peak wattage ($2,100.00)
--Alternator 150amp times 2 belmar about ($3,000.00)
There was a lot of other items I would need to make it work but just the base items would cost about ($8,100.00).
I think the time spent on the hook would be about 5 times per year hopefully a week at a time. Cost of diesel will be about $4.00 per gallon, lets say the 12.5kw genset burn 1gal/hour. Diesel for the year will be about 600 gallons or about $2400.00. I think I would use the genset about 1/2 of the time so realistically I would burn about $1,200.00 worth of fuel.
I like the inverter but I'm going to pass this time around.
To the subject, do you really need a large house bank with inverter and so on......
Thanks Paul

I have a 600 watt inverter that charges 2 computers and runs the tv/entertainment center - $80

I have a 3000W 1500W continuus that runs the Microwave/blender for smoothies/fans to clear the winshield, etc..etc - $120

Had a $1200 hardwired 2000W/120 amp charger inverter on my last boat....it almost burned the boat down if it hadn't sunk first from dead batteries because the auto switch from invert to charge relay welded itself shut. It was not even 2 seasons old. Too many horror stories for me to get back into those tye systems...and a waste of money in my book.

You only need an inverter if you're going to be running stuff on AC from the batteries. So microwave, coffeemaker, vacuum cleaner, power tools, computer/iPod/iPad/iPhone/drill battery chargers, etc. Obviously if you have a generator you can run all that stuff off of it.

We have a generator and a 2500w inverter/smart charger. When we're out we typically run the generator for an hour or so on the days we aren't going anywhere on the main engines. The generator heats enough water to last the rest of the day and throws a charge back into the main batteries. If we have cameras, computers, phones and other things that need recharging we'll do it while the generator is running.

We rarely use the inverter itself. Perhaps to run the microwave while we're underway but that's pretty rare.

And if all you want to do with AC is charge some batteries, power your Bose Sound Dock, run your laptop, and so on, you can buy a small inverter from Car Toys or whoever and plug it into a 12vdc power point on the boat (like a cigarette lighter-type plug). We do this to power our Bose in the evenings.

So of all the devices in our boat's electrical setup, the inverter part of our Heart Freedom 25 inverter/charger is the least used. If we didn't have it, it probably wouldn't make a lot of difference to us.

Thanks guys, that make me think I'm making the right decision. Not knowing sometimes you worry about all the wrong things.

We don't need an inverter. We have one and never have used it. We get to port often enough to plug in to shore power. We don't have washers, TVs, and lots of other stuff that probably is common on most boats here on the forum. We have more than enough to maintain as it is.

Some of this is due to the fact that we have a smaller boat but most is just due to style and personal preference.

My 1500 watt inverter runs my fridge and makes my coffee. Also plays The VCR. No genset, no cry.

Eric and I are in the same camp, we boat for the purpose of leaving certain conveniences behind. I researched installing more batteries and an inverter and concluded we had no real need or desire for one.

Different strokes. Your original post outlined our thought process for going without one. We may someday install a generator if we feel compelled.

Sent by Craig from my iPhone using Trawler

Do you have an icemaker? Yeah, we value our ice on the Gulfcoast. And if you have an icemaker, it will need AC power to cut the cubes...

Do you have an icemaker? Yeah, we value our ice on the Gulfcoast. And if you have an icemaker, it will need AC power to cut the cubes...
I'm going a little bigger for the ice maker. Another thread but about 400# maker and cold plates.

I'm in this camp as well. I have no generator. Just 3-8D batts and a 3000 watt inverter. My AC requirements when running or anchoring are the icemaker, refrigerator, TV (DVDs) 2- 110V lamps, coffee maker, microwave, electric shaver, curling iron, electric skillet, etc. With management (don't run them all at once!) No problem! I'm planning on acquiring a Honda EU 2000 for a back up.(But have not needed it yet,) (I'm being tutored by a TF member up in the delta on this subject.)

Last edited:

Seriously this is why we have an inverter. Joys of power boating.

Seriously this is why we have an inverter. Joys of power boating.

I'm not a fan of consuming ice made from water from a/my boat's tanks. I buy ice at the store or bring it from home. Still, I'm a fan of an inverter despite having no genset.

No gen, no ice, no inver-tars,
Not a single luxury,
Like Robinson Crusoe,
As primitive as can be...

When I purchased my vessel, the inverter side of the inverter/charger didn't work. I managed for a year, underway for half that time. When the charger side went out, I replaced the unit because I NEEDED the charger, and if you want a charger with over 100 amps output, you are better off price-wise to get a charger/inverter unit. BTW, now I find myself turning on the inverter to run the microwave or the vacuum cleaner, instead of cranking the gen. Just a thought.

Mercy
37 Nordic Tug

A 1500V cheapo inverter is very inexpensive (under $200) and will handle the microwave or other junk loads easily.

Not for refrigeration (with out 1000lbs of batts.

Remember 8D is a size like size 7 shoes ,
NOT a guide to weather the batt is built as a start or deep cycle.

Starts for starting , deep cycle for the house .

The "combo" batteries are poor at everything , tho do work fine for a 23 ft IO cruiser with no fridge for O'nite.

Not your service.

First of all, I am wondering how you are managing spending 3000 for 4 8D batteries, even Rolls AGM. 2000 is more like it. You can get wet cell 4 US Battery L16 6v at 410ah for about $1200, which I managed to suck almost 100,000 amp hours out of before they went dead.

I do agree with your approach to try life without one at first, and seeing how that works for you. For us, it is the quiet and not having to run the generator at very low loads. But also we were spending and still do a lot of time on moorings and at anchor, several months worth every year, maybe three or four months total tied to a dock. Even last year being more of stay at home cruisers, we were on the hook 42 nights.

When I got my boat I had all sorts of things I wanted to do to it, but we were eager to go cruising. Almost 6 years later many are still on The List and many were deleted from The List.

Never had a big inverter and never needed one. I only have a couple of little ones. The main use is to run the navigation computer, but on a couple of occasions I have used one for the TV at anchor.

Have inverter to keep Ice Maker, Wine Cooler, TV Wireless Card and our Coffee ready--would not leave dock without it--my port engine keeps the batteries charged and if we anchor a smart relay will not let the batteries draw off engine batteries--seems smart phones, I Pads and wireless cards do not charge as well on 12 volt.

My Two Cents

DT

This boat came with a 2KW inverter and a residential-style fridge. My thought was, what the heck, run the fridge off the inverter instead of investing in a new 12/120V unit.

The wisdom of this choice remains to be seen. The 7.5KW genset is a real teeth-rattler and is oversize to be run for any length of time, given the loads I can put on it.

I do like the idea of an inverter for small or infrequent 120V loads like charging laptops or running the microwave for a few minutes.

Not a single luxury,
Like Robinson Crusoe,

:thumb: Now I can take your posts much more seriously! (Nice avatar, NS!):D

I have no genset so I have a large house battery bank and an inverter to provide 120 volts AC when away from the dock. Microwave, coffee pot, laptop computer, etc.

So to answer your question, Yes, I really need an inverter.

I really must protest being on the West coast by the time I get up and on line the eastern coast has already post dozen of replies.

The Eagle did not have an inverter when we bought it. The Eagle had three 8 D for house, so I bought a cheap Xantrex 3000 inverter at that time for 750 bucks. Did not have time to wire so I plugged the shore power cord into it. We have used it a few times over the years. Mostly during the winter when the AC dock power goes out. Some people have trouble with the Xantrex, but I think its because they push it to the max, 2500 watts, for long periods of time.

Anyway I would have a gen set over a battery and inverter, but the inverter does come in handy once in a while. The trouble I have with an inverter is HOW it charge back the amps if you don’t run the main engine? You need a gen set! :facepalm:

Lastly I would install a separate charger and inverter.

.............. The trouble I have with an inverter is HOW it charge back the amps if you don’t run the main engine? You need a gen set! :facepalm: .

Shore power?

I typically run for several hours, anchor for the rest of the day and the night, get up, start the engine, and repeat. After a couple days of this, I usually spend the night at a marina.

One way or the other, the batteries get recharged. No genset.

Readin' about all the problems with inverters I decided against puttin' one in. Rather run the gen set.

It seems to me , most of the "Inverter problems" were more Xantrex problems (newer ones) rather than actual inverters themselves. Peeps that had Prosine, Charles and Victron seemed to be satisfied with the product.

With an AC powered frig, ice maker, TV, VCR and a few other things it is nice to have an inverter to carry the loads. It saves generator time, and is more convenient than having a lot of small inverters. The remote inverter panel and SOC meter are beside the electrical panels so that everything can be monitored easily. It is all located near the helm. The generator controls are also there. The inverter breakers are the bottom right on the AC panel.

img_144755_0_b6c34043b4ed48bbe56b4a514661f6cd.jpg

No noise maker, 12 Volt TV, CD and DVD, 12 Volt fridge, 12 volt lighting (LED), gas stove and oven, use a 1000W inverter for charging cell phones, ipad and incidentals. Nice and quiet.

Not a single luxury,
Like Robinson Crusoe,

Aw Man! NOW I got that tune going through my head!!!!!:banghead:

Marty..................:D

Back
Top Bottom