Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 03-26-2013, 10:16 PM   #61
Guru
 
swampu's Avatar


 
City: Biloxi, MS
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Cajun Rose
Vessel Model: Biloxi Lugger
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 1,144
Quote:
Originally Posted by caltexflanc View Post
First of all, I am wondering how you are managing spending 3000 for 4 8D batteries,
This was the quote I recieved from DC Battery specialist. I was trying to achieve right over 500ah and use agm's. Your right the average price is closer to 2k than 3k. I also had a spread sheet were I had averaged the prices from west marine, sears, napa and oreillys. It was closer to 3k but west kinda skued my data. Good catch caltexflanc (whats with the name?)
Hello Paul,

4 Lifeline GPL-8D $627.73 each picked up at our Miami warehouse.( Will give you a 510AH @ 24v battery bank)

8 Lifeline GPL-6CT $370.87 each picked up at our Miami warehouse. (Will give you a 600AH @ 24v battery bank)

4 Lifeline GPL-L16T $550.00 each picked up at our Miami warehouse. (Will give you a 400AH @ 24v battery bank)

4 Fullriver DC260-12 $521.51 each picked up at our Miami warehouse. (Will give you a 520AH @ 24v battery bank)

4 Fullriver DC240-12 $450.00 each picked up at our Miami warehouse. (Will give you a 480AH @ 24v battery bank)

8 Fullriver DC335-6 $326.69 each picked up at our Miami warehouse. (Will give you a 670AH @ 24v battery bank)

4 Fullriver DC400-6 $454.28 each picked up at our Miami warehouse. (Will give you a 430AH @ 24v battery bank)
__________________
Advertisement

swampu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 11:03 PM   #62
TF Site Team
 
Pineapple Girl's Avatar
 
City: San Mateo, CA
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Pineapple Girl II
Vessel Model: PT 35
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,165
Swampu I'm looking forward to that game. May come to NOLA for it, waiting for the schedule to come out. . Why won't your ice maker run off your inverter? Our microwave kills our batts so we usually fire up the genny for that, unless its something REAL quick.
__________________

__________________
-Jennifer
Pineapple Girl II 1984 PT 35
San Francisco Bay Area
www.pineapple-girl.blogspot.com
Pineapple Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 01:45 AM   #63
Guru
 
BruceK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 7,564
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaBomba View Post
use a 1000W inverter for charging cell phones, ipad and incidentals.
Phones, ipad, ipod, etc can be charged thru a cigarette lighter type connector,we used a Belkin plug with a USB connector, worked fine.
__________________
BruceK
Island Gypsy 36 Europa "Doriana"
Sydney Australia
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 07:00 AM   #64
Guru
 
swampu's Avatar


 
City: Biloxi, MS
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Cajun Rose
Vessel Model: Biloxi Lugger
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 1,144
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pineapple Girl View Post
Swampu I'm looking forward to that game. May come to NOLA for it, waiting for the schedule to come out. . Why won't your ice maker run off your inverter? Our microwave kills our batts so we usually fire up the genny for that, unless its something REAL quick.
The ice maker is going to be big, maybe a roof top mount #400 variety. I'll need lots of ice. Kaepernick is an awesome qb but I sure hope he has a sophomore slump this year.
swampu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 08:11 AM   #65
Curmudgeon
 
BaltimoreLurker's Avatar
 
City: Stoney Creek, MD
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Moon Dance
Vessel Model: 1974 34' Marine Trader Sedan
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 2,629
Quote:
Originally Posted by swampu View Post
I'll need lots of ice. Kaepernick is an awesome qb but I sure hope he has a sophomore slump this year.
I second that! We sure don't want to run into him again in February next year.
Attached Images
 
BaltimoreLurker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 08:21 AM   #66
Guru
 
Moonstruck's Avatar
 
City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 7,848
Quote:
Originally Posted by swampu View Post
I think I may be in the minority of folks using these "trawlers". I will need the ice maker making ice and need the ac in the summer and neither of these items will run off of an inverter. If I wan't to watch some tv it would be nice to have quite time to watch the Saints whoop up on some 49'ers. (I'll have to check into the 12 volt tv or a small inverter for the tv and games for the kids.
Here is a picture of my friends houseboat he built and drug to the islands to fish. This is heaven.
Paul, I have never been to a more different place than the Chandileurs. I have a video of us anchored out there catching speckled sea trout near Middle Ground. It was perfectly still as in your picture. There was a frigate bird rookery on one of the marsh islands near by. Birds flying everywhere. The only sounds were the cries of the birds and fish breaking the water. Nothing like it.
__________________
Don on Moonstruck
Sabre 42 Hardtop Express & Blackfin 25 CC
When cruising life is simpler, but on a grander scale (author unknown)
http://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 08:27 AM   #67
Guru
 
swampu's Avatar


 
City: Biloxi, MS
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Cajun Rose
Vessel Model: Biloxi Lugger
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 1,144
Don, your absolutly right. I don't think many people understand until they go for a week. I can't wait. No better place on earth for an outdoorsman.
......and Baltamorelurker, I don't think ya'll are going to have to worry about running into anybody in Feb....
swampu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 09:29 AM   #68
Guru
 
hollywood8118's Avatar
 
City: Port Townsend Washington
Country: USA
Vessel Name: " OTTER "
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander Europa 40
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 1,482
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Spy View Post
I have empirical evidence that TVs do indeed, not float.
Actually that is not completely true... Flat screens for sure dont.. old style tv's do.. depending on size.
A couple years back I passed a 36" tv floating about 50 miles off the coast of Washington on the way down the coast... it went between the hull and the stabilizer cable. The screen reflected light from my high pressure sodium mast lights and I thought at first I was seeing things....
It was a Sony

HOLLYWOOD
hollywood8118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 10:13 AM   #69
Curmudgeon
 
BaltimoreLurker's Avatar
 
City: Stoney Creek, MD
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Moon Dance
Vessel Model: 1974 34' Marine Trader Sedan
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 2,629
Quote:
Originally Posted by swampu View Post
......and Baltamorelurker, I don't think ya'll are going to have to worry about running into anybody in Feb....

Warning - thread creep!

Every off-season is a season of woe for Baltimore fans. And somehow, nearly every season, Ozzie has acquired just the right people to get the Ravens back into the playoffs.

The Steelers & Pats know how to do this. Before free agency, the Niners knew how to do this. It sure seems to me that the Ravens owners/management have figured it out too. Unlike some teams - I'm looking at you, Redskin nation!

I ain't sayin' Joe Flacco is the reincarnation of Joe Montanna or Steve Young. Yet. But he's trending that way.
BaltimoreLurker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 06:20 PM   #70
Guru
 
City: North Charleston, SC
Country: USA
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 4,390
Quote:
Originally Posted by swampu View Post
This was the quote I recieved from DC Battery specialist. I was trying to achieve right over 500ah and use agm's. Your right the average price is closer to 2k than 3k. I also had a spread sheet were I had averaged the prices from west marine, sears, napa and oreillys. It was closer to 3k but west kinda skued my data. Good catch caltexflanc (whats with the name?)
Hello Paul,

4 Lifeline GPL-8D $627.73 each picked up at our Miami warehouse.( Will give you a 510AH @ 24v battery bank)

8 Lifeline GPL-6CT $370.87 each picked up at our Miami warehouse. (Will give you a 600AH @ 24v battery bank)

4 Lifeline GPL-L16T $550.00 each picked up at our Miami warehouse. (Will give you a 400AH @ 24v battery bank)

4 Fullriver DC260-12 $521.51 each picked up at our Miami warehouse. (Will give you a 520AH @ 24v battery bank)

4 Fullriver DC240-12 $450.00 each picked up at our Miami warehouse. (Will give you a 480AH @ 24v battery bank)

8 Fullriver DC335-6 $326.69 each picked up at our Miami warehouse. (Will give you a 670AH @ 24v battery bank)

4 Fullriver DC400-6 $454.28 each picked up at our Miami warehouse. (Will give you a 430AH @ 24v battery bank)
At 24 volts, you need only half the amp hours of a 12 volt system for the same amount of power (watts). So what you are looking at is the equivalent of 1K or more amp hours at 12 volts. It would be very unusual to actually need that much power on a recreational trawler.

And of course, you're going to need some heavy duty alternators to recharge them.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 06:30 PM   #71
Guru
 
City: North Charleston, SC
Country: USA
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 4,390
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom.B View Post
Well I *DID* pay attention. The cables are either the recommended size or are one gauge larger that the inverter called for a full power for the short distance they are going (about 5 or 6 feet) to the ProMariner Tru Power 200W inverter. I want to say I used 2/0. That's what my schematics show. Currently, I have 4 golf cart batts (440Ah) that are less than one year old and "seem" to check out. However, I plan to add two more. This combination has work on other boats, but like I said, I need to do some more tests and collect some more data before I throw too much time at it. It's not a high priority thing right now
Remember, the length of the allowable cable run includes both the positive and negative cables.

Other possible sources of resistance (and voltage drop) are the cables connecting the batteries together, the cable to lug connection, and the lug to battery terminal connection. And the connections to the fuse or circuit breaker.

Even though the batteries are relatively new, that's no guarantee that one or more doesn't have a high internal resistance.

You can use a voltmeter to track down any possible source of resistance and voltage drop.

Mine drops to a little over 11 volts when the microwave is in operation. Knowing the power limitations on the boat, it's important to select a microwave with a lower power consumption than you might choose for home use.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 07:57 PM   #72
Guru
 
caltexflanc's Avatar
 
City: North Carolina for now
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Small Incentive
Vessel Model: Boston Whaler 130 Sport
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 3,789
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
At 24 volts, you need only half the amp hours of a 12 volt system for the same amount of power (watts). So what you are looking at is the equivalent of 1K or more amp hours at 12 volts. It would be very unusual to actually need that much power on a recreational trawler.

And of course, you're going to need some heavy duty alternators to recharge them.
Not so unusual if you are away from shore power and on the hook or a mooring for several days or weeks at a time. The more KWH the longer you can go without charging. And the lesser the dent in voltage when loaded up by something like a microwave or coffee maker.

But since the OP is opting against an inverter, it's kind of moot now.
__________________
George

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 08:45 PM   #73
Guru
 
Codger2's Avatar
 
City: San Diego
Country: US
Vessel Name: "Sandpiper"
Vessel Model: 2006 42' Ocean Alexander Sedan
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 5,420
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom.B View Post
When we make coffee or run the microwave, the voltage of the house batts drops to between 10 and 11 volts and I am not sure if that is supposed to happen or not. Seems low. -
A similar thing happened to me a few years ago. Having a 3000 watt inverter & 3X 8-D AGMs, after making coffee in the morning, I found that my batts were almost dead! It turned out that my batt charger (separate from the inverter) is powered off a 110 circuit and obviously uses amps when charging. By not turning off the breaker to the charger when inverting, the inverter was sending 110 to all the 110 receptacles , including the one the charger is plugged in to, resulting in running the batteries down. Now, when I use the inverter, running or at anchor, I switch the charger breaker off and can last a couple of days!

I don't know how your boat is wired but that's what the electrician found on my boat.
__________________
Codger2

My passion for improving my boat(s) exceeds my desire to constantly cruise them.
Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 08:57 PM   #74
Guru
 
Moonstruck's Avatar
 
City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 7,848
Walt, I can't imagine why anyone would wire an inverter to power a charger. .
__________________
Don on Moonstruck
Sabre 42 Hardtop Express & Blackfin 25 CC
When cruising life is simpler, but on a grander scale (author unknown)
http://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 09:04 PM   #75
Guru
 
Codger2's Avatar
 
City: San Diego
Country: US
Vessel Name: "Sandpiper"
Vessel Model: 2006 42' Ocean Alexander Sedan
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 5,420
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonstruck View Post
Walt, I can't imagine why anyone would wire an inverter to power a charger. .
I can't either, Don but the charger was plugged in to a 110 receptacle.
__________________
Codger2

My passion for improving my boat(s) exceeds my desire to constantly cruise them.
Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 01:17 AM   #76
TF Site Team
 
FlyWright's Avatar
 
City: California Delta and SF Bay
Country: Sacramento, CA, USA (boat in Vallejo)
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 10,175
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaHorse II View Post
I can't either, Don but the charger was plugged in to a 110 receptacle.
If that charger and circuit breaker was rewired to the 110 shore power feed, that would fix your problem without the need to isolate the charger. Then when you get your Honda and plug it into your shore power plug, your charger is powered without having to throw switches.
__________________
Al

Custom Google Trawler Forum Search
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 09:52 AM   #77
Guru
 
City: North Charleston, SC
Country: USA
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 4,390
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaHorse II View Post
A similar thing happened to me a few years ago. Having a 3000 watt inverter & 3X 8-D AGMs, after making coffee in the morning, I found that my batts were almost dead! It turned out that my batt charger (separate from the inverter) is powered off a 110 circuit and obviously uses amps when charging. By not turning off the breaker to the charger when inverting, the inverter was sending 110 to all the 110 receptacles , including the one the charger is plugged in to, resulting in running the batteries down. Now, when I use the inverter, running or at anchor, I switch the charger breaker off and can last a couple of days!

I don't know how your boat is wired but that's what the electrician found on my boat.
Charging the batteries with a charger that's powered by an inverter connected to the same batteries is a losing proposition.

The charger should be powered off the main AC panel with its own circuit breaker.

All my 120 volt receptacles are on one circuit so I just wired the inverter to power that circuit. That way I don't have to turn off the AC, water heater, and charger breakers when using the inverter.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 01:01 PM   #78
TF Site Team
 
Pineapple Girl's Avatar
 
City: San Mateo, CA
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Pineapple Girl II
Vessel Model: PT 35
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,165
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
Charging the batteries with a charger that's powered by an inverter connected to the same batteries is a losing proposition.



Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
All my 120 volt receptacles are on one circuit so I just wired the inverter to power that circuit. That way I don't have to turn off the AC, water heater, and charger breakers when using the inverter.
That is how ours is wired as well, though we have two breakers for outlets. The inverter isn't wired to any other breakers.
__________________
-Jennifer
Pineapple Girl II 1984 PT 35
San Francisco Bay Area
www.pineapple-girl.blogspot.com
Pineapple Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 01:36 PM   #79
Guru
 
Moonstruck's Avatar
 
City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 7,848
I have the frig, ice maker, TV/VCR, and an outlet circuit wired to be powered by the inverter. The inverter has an automatic transfer switch the lets utility power run through when hooked up dockside or the generator is running.

For the big loads (heating water and cooking) it is more efficient to do them off the generator than to run through the inverter, and have to recharge. There is loss on both ends of that. We will start the generator for charging morning and evening anyway. It needs to be loaded. Why not make use of it in the most efficient way.

Morning coffee when at anchor is made on the gas stove.
__________________
Don on Moonstruck
Sabre 42 Hardtop Express & Blackfin 25 CC
When cruising life is simpler, but on a grander scale (author unknown)
http://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 02:24 PM   #80
Guru
 
City: North Charleston, SC
Country: USA
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 4,390
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonstruck View Post
..................... Morning coffee when at anchor is made on the gas stove.
I tried that one time but my coffee maker caught fire.
__________________

rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:13 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2006 - 2012