Distances Between United States Ports

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks for posting that, I've never seen it. Dreaming of the trips to come

Still a good quick chart for rough planning

Fascinating info

Roguewave, that's quite a find, now downloaded onto my computer. Thank you kindly for bringing this resource to our attention.

Coast Pilots are a great resource to....not quite a cruising guide...but free to download and more on technical and regulatory info.

Will post the link when internet is stronger...

"Coast Pilots are a great resource to....not quite a cruising guide"

I found them to be like a cruising guide written by a manic depressive.

"Coast Pilots are a great resource to....not quite a cruising guide"

I found them to be like a cruising guide written by a manic depressive.

Yes they are a bit much at times..... but the best source I have found for staying clear of trouble.

But about every experienced cruiser I know (well, they tell me they are and they are compared to most boaters), plus many I hear on the radio every year are clueless about so many restricted areas. Even though they are on the charts, few ever seem to know what they are about and the restriction anot really aware of Cpast Pilots..

Just in the last year or two, 2 rocket launches I have waited to watch were cancelled for 24 hrs because of some chucklehead boater. One at Wallop Island and one at Canaveral.

Of course TFers excluded from the "clueless gang"....:D

Last edited:
Just in the last year or two, 2 rocket launches I have waited to watch were cancelled for 24 hrs because of some chucklehead boater. One at Wallop Island and one at Canaveral.

I have seen many oblivious to traffic lanes, restricted areas, military training areas and especially to Canaveral.

Great link, roguewave. Someone here had posted that a couple years back and I printed out the pages dealing with my local boating area. They sit in my briefcase for quick reference.

The distances represent cruising distances, not just 'as the crow flies' straight-line distances. I've found them to be very accurate in my area of the SF Bay and CA Delta.

Menzies, I've always planned my trips on Google Earth but I like that Navigator better. It lists the waypoints and shows distances.

Is there a way to save and name routes once you've created them?

Thanks for that great resource.

Yup, a great resource, another example of private industry being able to do anything better than anything done by "the government".

Yup, a great resource, another example of private industry being able to do anything better than anything done by "the government".

I have found private industry to be involved for a very long time in the charting business. Thank goodness government has been involved, at least for a few hundred years that is. Think Capts Cook, Vancouver and Bering. And now GPS satellites. Where would Garmin and Furuno be without a government sponsored signal, or Google, IPad and Android?

I use this for planning every new trip.

Zoom into the area you are cruising and use the red"Z" tool to lay out distances.

Navigation tools - Google Maps Distance Calculator

Yes...but...I can do the exact same thing with the charting program on my iPad and without cell service.

The value of the link the OP (Rogue wave) has posted is it provides a quick reference without going through the calisthenics of plotting out a route.

Jim
Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum

Back
Top Bottom