Old 01-25-2013, 08:03 PM   #21

City: Ventura, CA
Vessel Name: Vyndance
Vessel Model: 48 Californian CP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capn Chuck View Post
Unfortunately that will not work. When you tell them it's for an RV you must provide the registration for the RV and they know the difference between a boat and RV. Boats are not offered the same choices. Your locals will depend on your address that you give them for service. The only way to change locals on a boat is to give them a new service address every time you move and they quickly catch on to that. Besides it's a pain. You can get New York locals anywhere but you will have to provide a New York address. We have been using satellite on the boat for over twelve years. Chuck
Have Dish in the RV and the boat. 10 years. Never been asked for registration. The locals are out of Los Angeles.

Vyndance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 04:56 AM   #22
Guru

Vessel Name: Anastasia III
Vessel Model: Krogen 42
I've never understood the big deal about local channels. Just switch over to a regular TV antenna. Rabbit ears or a marine omnidirectional.

Keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 11:00 AM   #23
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
I've never understood the big deal about local channels. Just switch over to a regular TV antenna. Rabbit ears or a marine omnidirectional.
That is what I do I do miss some channels but I survrve
motion30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 06:08 PM   #24
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Vessel Name: Small Incentive
Vessel Model: Boston Whaler 130 Sport
Quote:
That's great if you are in the reception range of something.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 07:01 PM   #25
Guru

City: coos bay
Quote:
Originally Posted by caltexflanc View Post
who needs tv anyway. Yoy know there is a whole world outside the windows all filled with wonderful things. A couple of weeks ago i noticed thousands of tiny fish glowing swimming next to me at the dock all in unison to the movement of my hat. Strange, they were only maybe an inch long and seemed to like my Tilley. I took it off and they all swam away all in perfect time with each other. Mush better than TV
bfloyd4445 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 07:58 PM   #26
Guru

Vessel Name: Anastasia III
Vessel Model: Krogen 42
Quote:
So what "local" channel would you want, if you were not in range of any? You'd have to be pretty remote.
Keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 07:54 AM   #27
Guru

City: Saint Augustine, Fl.
We have Direct TV on the tug with a dome (forget which brand) feeding it. Direct tv said we would have reception up to 200 miles offshore. On the way to a ship rescue 550 NM off Cape Hatteras we started losing channels at 240 miles off shore. At 290 miles we lost all reception. Since we are based in NY, we get the local Channel package (don't want to miss the local wpix honeys with my morning coffee!) it follows us where ever we get reception. When we approach Canada, it is like Direct Tv throws a switch- NO perimeter reception at all.
Sailor of Fortune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 08:57 AM   #28
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Vessel Name: Small Incentive
Vessel Model: Boston Whaler 130 Sport
Quote:
So what "local" channel would you want, if you were not in range of any? You'd have to be pretty remote.
Sometimes people want to keep up up with what's happening back home, like when a storm is going through or there is some special event. Frankly, I haven't made any effort to capture any locals since they went dead on our set up. You don't have to be very remote by the way to have difficulty picking up over the air channels in a lot of places with a good indoor antenna.

But we like being "the remoter the better". That's the point of boating for us. We don't watch very much TV when cruising unless there is some special show on or something significant is going on in the world. Maybe two hours a day except Sunday nights when my wife needs her HBO fix. That's why I got a unit designed to be used only at anchor or dock, though ours works fine on smooth water at trawler speed.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 04:54 PM   #29
Guru

Quote:
Sometimes people want to keep up up with what's happening back home, like when a storm is going through or there is some special event. Frankly, I haven't made any effort to capture any locals since they went dead on our set up. You don't have to be very remote by the way to have difficulty picking up over the air channels in a lot of places with a good indoor antenna.

But we like being "the remoter the better". That's the point of boating for us. We don't watch very much TV when cruising unless there is some special show on or something significant is going on in the world. Maybe two hours a day except Sunday nights when my wife needs her HBO fix. That's why I got a unit designed to be used only at anchor or dock, though ours works fine on smooth water at trawler speed.
..yes, thats what boating is all about.

I guess with the new electronics available you can overlay weather and radar on your chart plotter so I wonder if you can enter coordinants to dispaly weather for any place you wish. Does anybody do that or knows if that would be possible vwith these new systems?
bfloyd4445 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 08:46 PM   #30
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
some people live on their boats 24/7/365... tv is a resource of info whether news, weather, national crisis, etc...etc...

so while I'm all about nature, astronomy, sunsets, etc...etc ... 99 percent of the time...it's nice to know what others are doing to fill that 1% gap...
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 10:35 PM   #31

City: Redlands
I am looking into this as well.

This is from the direct tv web site:
"Distant Network Service (DNS) enables you to receive ABC, CBS, FOX and NBC channels from New York or Los Angeles. It's a great solution for travelers who want to enjoy these channels on the road in their mobile vehicle. If your main residence is qualified to receive Los Angeles/New York stations, you can also receive them in your RV, car or boat. If your main residence doesn't qualify for DNS, you may submit qualifying paperwork to obtain DNS channels"

Arch
Arch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 09:24 AM   #32
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch View Post
I am looking into this as well.

This is from the direct tv web site:
" If your main residence doesn't qualify for DNS, you may submit qualifying paperwork to obtain DNS channels"

Arch
The paperwork comprises of signed waivers from all of the local TV stations in the area covered by "your home address" and we have never encountered anyone that has received these waivers from any of these local stations. Chuck
Capn Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 09:29 AM   #33
Guru

I dont understand why direct will not let you pick up the local stations where you currently are located ??
motion30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 09:37 AM   #34
TF Site Team

City: JAX, FL
Vessel Name: Hobo
Vessel Model: Krogen 42-120
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
some people live on their boats 24/7/365... tv is a resource of info whether news, weather, national crisis, etc...etc...

so while I'm all about nature, astronomy, sunsets, etc...etc ... 99 percent of the time...it's nice to know what others are doing to fill that 1% gap...
+1
Larry M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 10:31 AM   #35
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by motion30 View Post
I dont understand why direct will not let you pick up the local stations where you currently are located ??
They often quote, and to some respects are correct, an FCC regulation. But that requirement can be open to interpretation and they choose to interpret it the way they do. If every boater called and ask to have the locals changed every time they stopped and turned on the satellite, that is all they would do. I can understand this from a business standpoint. The FCC does give a waiver to RVs in that regulation but not boats. If that regulation were ever to change, then boats could be included, but you would still only get either LA or New York locals depending on which coast. They will never switch to every local as you travel because at this point the technology is too complicated.
Old 02-01-2013, 10:42 AM   #36
Guru

Maybe I can help explain this "local channel" situation a bit better. Each local market is a spotbeam. Hold a flashlight up to the ceiling and have someone put their hand in the beam of light. That is the area covered by a specific local market. Once you move your hand out of the circle of light you have moved from under the spotbeam and the locals will drop out. There are hundreds and hundreds of these spotbeams to cover local markets throughout the U.S. The New York and LA stations are network feeds and are on the main satellites just like TNT or HBO and are not spotbeams. The satellite company sends down data packets to your specific receiver for the programming you receive. These data packets also include your locals. Each time you have a change in programming, the satellite company must change the data packets sent to you receiver. Your receiver converts the data packets into sound and picture. So if you moved into a new spotbeam every few days, you would have to call them, tell them where you are, and have them reprogram the data packets for your receiver. Now multiply this but several thousand boaters and you see why the technology is not there to let this happen. I hope this helps. Chuck
Old 02-01-2013, 10:42 AM   #37

City: WA
At one point, we had DirecTV at an apartment in southern California. When we bought our boat, it came with a SeaTel satellite antenna. It cost us $5 a month to add a receiver on the boat to the account as an "extra room". We received local Los Angeles channels on the boat in Seattle and British Columbia. I assume this was because DirecTV did not where the "extra room" actually was.
Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 05:02 PM   #38
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
At one point, we had DirecTV at an apartment in southern California. When we bought our boat, it came with a SeaTel satellite antenna. It cost us $5 a month to add a receiver on the boat to the account as an "extra room". We received local Los Angeles channels on the boat in Seattle and British Columbia. I assume this was because DirecTV did not where the "extra room" actually was.
I've been reading this thread all along and last year looked into getting a tailgator. This is a portable system for rvs that uses dishnetwork. When i called them they said I could use it anywhere and if not in use i could suspend the survice for as long as i wished then when needed just a simple call to re connect. Anyone used one of these?
Old 02-01-2013, 07:23 PM   #39
Guru

Britt, These units don't work well on a boat since they have to sit still. As soon as the boat moves, the signal is lost. Chuck