Dinghy electronics

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dimer2

Moderator Emeritus
Vessel Name
Baobab
Vessel Make
Bayliner 4788
I was looking at installing a depth sounder/fish finder on my new dinghy. Then I saw the Garmin 44 DV which has DownVu, tides/currents and G2 maps, preinstalled for less than $300 (can even accept AIS data). Anyone using this unit or has suggestions on a better/more versatile one, please let me know otherwise I think this is a no brainer for an 11 ft dink.

http://www.thegpsstore.com/Garmin-echoMap-44dv-Chartplotter-Sounder-P4212.aspx

Really can't go wrong with Garmin's units.

For a dinghy, this looks like a no-brainer!
I've bought all my electronics through the GPS store (2 plotters and a handheld)...Great to work with and very competitive pricing..

Last edited:
Installed this unit last June to replace a fishfinder on a AVON 4.00 inflatable. Even though it cost another $150 for the Canada charts, it's still a great value for the type of exploring we do in BC and SE Alaska. The GPS links with the satellites very quickly. Install was straightforward.

I bought and installed the DV44 at the beginning of this summer for my tender. Easy install and it works great. One of my favorite features is tracking. If we go out and come back after dark, we can simply follow the "breadcrumbs" back to the big boat. It's a great value.

Howard

The Ray unit looks good George but I am still leaning the Garmin. Thanks for the input guys!

A little off topic, but I have seen several RIBS that mounted the transducer inside the dinghy using silicone. Makes for a nice clean installation.

Using a through hull transducer? I don't think that's an option with these cheaper units. The Garmin has a mount for a trolling motor which I found funny. It is about a 6 inch hose clamp LOL.

I use a portable Humminbird unit for the times I need depth finder in the dink. If I need gps I use my phone.
Don't have a battery in the dink ad don't want anything mounted permanently.

I have a Humminbird 385 on my cc, it's been a really dependable unit that uses Navionics chart cards. I use it mostly as a depth and fish finder and to know my sog.

Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum

I put the Garmin Echomap 50DV on both of my Whalers and love them. We trailer the boat to unfamiliar waters as we explore distant lakes. The DownVue sonar gives a clear picture of the bottom. You can see every contour, trees, shrubs, rocks, etc. Here are a couple of screen shots from Lake Pleasant down in AZ.

This first one I was just slow cruising in 170' of water. You can see how clearly the bottom shows up.

img_375129_0_07f9fc803477a2396c4dc6453d3b0832.jpg

This one is a shot taken as I was crossing an area that is normally high and dry. Due to the recent rains it was submerged and safe to cross.
img_375129_1_0bf0d6c3a25b21f866fcb4e2983b74b3.jpg

With just a touch on a button you can change the positions of the two displays and put the depth on top of the GPS. Check out the clarity of the display of the brush that's growing on the bottom of the lake.
img_375129_2_0a1f66454765c802a798f680e4d44cbe.jpg

This guy was curious and watching me as I intruded into his cove.
img_375129_3_8040f6e10b00fcc2c37cbfdd4edee4a5.jpg

Using a through hull transducer? I don't think that's an option with these cheaper units. The Garmin has a mount for a trolling motor which I found funny. It is about a 6 inch hose clamp LOL.

Actually, it is an option. You can just glue (silicon, epoxy whatever you are comfortable with) a transom mount 'ducer right into the RIB hull. It will work fine for any application you would use a RIB for.

The hulls on RIBS are pretty thin, it will shoot right through it.

Actually, it is an option. You can just glue (silicon, epoxy whatever you are comfortable with) a transom mount 'ducer right into the RIB hull. It will work fine for any application you would use a RIB for.

The hulls on RIBS are pretty thin, it will shoot right through it.

I have a double hull so that's not always an option.

The Garmin has a mount for a trolling motor which I found funny. It is about a 6 inch hose clamp LOL.

Bass anglers use that quite often when driving from the bow near shore and in the shallows with their bow-mount trolling motor. It provides depth, structure and fish finding at the "fwd helm".

Many TMs now come with the transducer built in.

Thanks for all the input/advice. I have ordered the Garmin which should be here tomorrow.

Have you looked at the Vexilar SonarPhone T-Box units? There's the SP200 that's a permanent mount and the SP300 that suction cup mounts the sonar so it's more portable. The units can communicate with the Navionics app to give you real-time bottom profiles overlaid on the charts...and you can also record sonar logs to update your charts.

Sonarphone and Navionics - Your New Fishin' Buddies

We have Garmin on our RIB's. Two to three years old so not the models you're looking at. However, we've been very pleased with them. We explore as much as 50-70 nm away from the boat sometimes and find them very much worth having. People don't realize how reasonable the pricing has become and functionality today on a $300 unit that not that long ago took $1000 worth of electronics.

Last edited:
Sounds like it would be a good upgrade from my ancient hand held GPS , on my 50 ft dink!

Objections?

I bought one of these for my dinghy at the Seattle boat show. I can't remember exactly but with show prices and a rebate I believe it brought the total price to about $500.

RayMarine Dragonfly 7 PRO

Any suggestions for a low price GPS , with included marine map , for someone that has no need for a fish finder or depth meter?

Hand held would be fine, or If someone is up grading , used would be OK.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom