Old 12-14-2014, 02:11 PM   #21
Guru

City: Anchorage/Wrangell
Vessel Name: Silver Bay
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 42-002
Tony,

Most NMEA 2000 gauges and MFDs can show engine data as numbers (digital) or as an analog gauge with a moving pointer. At least that has been my experience with Lowrance. The main reason I went with the RS11 was to get engine data to the upper helm. All we had up there was idiot lights and buzzers. Once I had the NMEA 2000 conversion done at the lower helm, I was done as I already had the NMEA 2000 network at the upper helm running into a Lowrance MFD. Putting in the LMF-400 gauge was simply a hole, a NMEA T connector and a short NMEA 2000 cable. The gauge is powered off the NMEA 2000 network.

Tom

tpbrady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 02:50 PM   #22
Guru

City: Maryland
Vessel Model: 42' Sportfish
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony B View Post
Question:
Do the sensors have to be matched to the gauges by manufacturer or are they all pretty much standard?

CruzPro told me their oil pressure, water temp, and fuel tankage gauges use changes in resistance (Ohms) as transmitted by the original senders. (That's the same way our WEMA fresh water and holding tank gauges work, too.) Apparently resistances at various display points are standardized across the industry? (That's the story with WEMA water, holding, and fuel tank gauges.) I don't exactly understand how resistance works with oil pressure and water temperature sensors/senders, but... they said it (e-mail) with conviction, so it must be true.

The Aetna gauges can be paired to at least a couple different types of sensors/senders, in our case magnetic (which were standard on our engines), but apparently most engines already use one of the types that will work with the Aetnas.

-Chris

Old 12-14-2014, 03:09 PM   #23
Guru

City: Pender Harbour, BC
Vessel Name: Gwaii Haanas
Vessel Model: Vancouver Shipyards Custom Aluminum 52
I think this stuff is too rapidly obsolete. Mbevins got it right. Just look at the junk electronics you find in the used stores. You never find a working Cummins or Stewart Warner tach in there, they rarely fail. Digital is zoomy and interesting but an analogue gauge can be interpreted in a glance when you do your scan. Stick to steam-powered gauges for a boat!

Another point I just thought of, try synchronizing dual 8.3 Cummins with digital tachs. There is too much detail and with the sensitivity of the power levers and the "supposed" accuracy of the tachs, you spend way too much time trying to synch 1132 rpms (really?) when you should do it by ear and be looking out the window. I have driven a Symbol with same, give me analogue anytime.
Old 12-15-2014, 07:27 AM   #24
Guru

City: Maryland
Vessel Model: 42' Sportfish
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xsbank View Post
I think this stuff is too rapidly obsolete. Mbevins got it right. Just look at the junk electronics you find in the used stores. You never find a working Cummins or Stewart Warner tach in there, they rarely fail. Digital is zoomy and interesting but an analogue gauge can be interpreted in a glance when you do your scan. Stick to steam-powered gauges for a boat!

Another point I just thought of, try synchronizing dual 8.3 Cummins with digital tachs. There is too much detail and with the sensitivity of the power levers and the "supposed" accuracy of the tachs, you spend way too much time trying to synch 1132 rpms (really?) when you should do it by ear and be looking out the window. I have driven a Symbol with same, give me analogue anytime.

Our analog tachs failed. The others work OK, but the temp gauge displays are simply wrong. And the fuel tank gauge displays only a mere suggestion.

I'm not arguing that digital is better per se, but OTOH, I also don't like wrist watches that require me to do all the work (big hand is on the..., little hand is on the... I should interpret that to mean the time is...). I prefer a gauge (or a wrist watch) that simply tells me the number.

Syncing is indeed a hoot, though. With the digital tacks, I reckon when both engines are running anywhere plus/minus 10 RPMs of each other -- around a given target RPM level -- it's close enough for me. But yes, that's best done mostly by feel, ear, a visual on the wake, etc. Usually if I'm shooting for running at approx. 2100 RPMs, where ever I get them synced plus/minus 25 RPMs to that is fine by me. The displayed value on the tach becomes a check on average RPMs (to compare to speed, fuel consumption, etc.) more than a sync tool.

-Chris
Old 12-16-2014, 06:19 AM   #25
Guru

City: Joe Wheeler State Park, Al
Vessel Name: Serenity
Vessel Model: Mainship 36 Dual Cabin -1986
Thanks everyone for the help.
It looks like I will be ordering Teleflex Lido Pro Series (fog proof) gauges.
I spoke to someone at partman.com and he told me that when I get ready to order the sensors, give him my engine serial numbers and he will make sure everything is compatible.
Old 12-16-2014, 07:03 AM   #26
FF
Guru

One huge advantage of steam gauges is you can paint green , yellow or red marks on their face ,

and a person standing watch only needs to observe if everything is in the Green , and call if anything changes.

FF is online now   Reply With Quote