Diesel Cold Weather Start

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Itsenough

Has anyone seen or have experience with cold weather start buttons on the DC Panel? We recently purchased a 1995 Grand Banks 36 w/ twin Lehman 135 diesels, and I’m not finding anything in the literature regarding how to use these. Push and hold? Push and wait? I’m assuming they activate glow plugs? Any help from more experienced skippers very much appreciated.

Attachments

• 6731294A-9E20-4EF3-A819-B5BB7BE15412.jpg
    6731294A-9E20-4EF3-A819-B5BB7BE15412.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 71
Welcome to the forum. My first guess would also be that they are connected to glow plugs. Depending on how hard the engines are to start cold I might start with holding it in for about 5 to 10 seconds. If they still don't start right up a little longer may be required. In cold weather on my old Volvo I used to have to hold it for about 15 to 20 seconds. Just a guess, Maybe someone else has the same setup.

Sorry, no help. We have those engines, but no 'cold weather start' buttons. And the coldest weather we have had when starting was about 20 degrees, this past Nov on the TN river - no problems with starting.

Those might actually be battery parallel switches. I don't think any of the Lehmans have glow plugs.

I have a 135. No glow plugs. Be interested to know what those cold start buttons are connected to.

The injector pump has a cold start button but I don’t remember if it is on the 120’s or 135’s. I believe the manual said to open the throttle wide then push the button. Button would pop out when engine started. I assume it gave extra fuel.

The injector pump has a cold start button but I don’t remember if it is on the 120’s or 135’s. I believe the manual said to open the throttle wide then push the button. Button would pop out when engine started. I assume it gave extra fuel.

This :iagree: ...for further info ......might want to check with one of the Lehman parts suppliers.

From a Sabre Lehman owners manual

Attachments

• 222.png
    222.png
    25.5 KB · Views: 630
Last edited:
Of course Brian Smith at American Diesel is the 'Go to guy" but I'll add my nickels worth.

Never saw glow plugs on a F.L. They no doubt are connected to some type of solenoid which will give an audible "click" when the button is pushed. Go below and have the mate push the button, you should be able to find what it is connected to.

I also doubt that it is a power booster. If it was a battery crossover there probably would only be one button.

Funny place for starting switches, on your electrical panel. I would think they were generator control buttons which will probably have preheaters but never heard of a 36 foot boat with two gennies.

Best bet is to go below and find the circuit.

pete

We have SP225s with a cold start button. We advance the throttles all the way to full throttle, push the button and then bring the throttles back to idle. Then start. My understanding is that it sets the injection pump to a fast idle which aids a cold start. No glow plugs.

Lehman 135's have no glow plugs and no way for any to be installed. There is an automatic extra fuel component on the injector pump which is run automatically by a temp sensor screwed into the expansion tank.

My *total guess* is those buttons either operate the cold start feature of the injector pump directly or perhaps parallel the batteries through a solenoid.

Ken

I have glow plugs on a small Mitsubishi.

I always use them to start when cold.
Don’t think my engine compartment ever gets down to or below 35f. Most all the time it’s in the mid 40’s. Use the glow plugs for 7 to 10 seconds depending on weather.

Glow plugs were on my “must have” list when I repowered. It was connected to our move to Alaska.

Not only do F.L.s not have glow plugs or a space to add them, they just don't need them. Best starting engine ever. I run my throttle up to three quarters then back to a high idle position then hit the starter.

Don't know if the throttle advance exercise does anything on a diesel though. Just a left over reflex from my carberated hot rod days.

pete

Has anyone seen or have experience with cold weather start buttons on the DC Panel? We recently purchased a 1995 Grand Banks 36 w/ twin Lehman 135 diesels, and I’m not finding anything in the literature regarding how to use these. Push and hold? Push and wait? I’m assuming they activate glow plugs? Any help from more experienced skippers very much appreciated.

I have manual pull cold start and stop.
These cable connections go to the injector pump area.

I suspect you have electric solenoids at that location. Here is what I would try without instructions.
Cannot read, assumption made is the right side is starboard, left port engine.
pick a side, Press and hold cold start while pressing the start, release both when engine starts.

I maintain a 50 degree engine room temp which allows the 120 Lehman to start quickly and not smoke as much after start.

Look at the injection pump and see if there are any wires going to it. I suspect not. If no wires/solenoid at injection pump, the switches probably do nothing.

Can always just hit the switch and see if it does anything. Or trace the wires on other side of the panel.

GB often makes their panels to suit a good number of engines, so the switches might be for Perkins with the intake air fuel heater thingy.

I maintain a 50 degree engine room temp which allows the 120 Lehman to start quickly and not smoke as much after start.

Is that heat conduction from the belly of the boat, that is what heats my engine compartment. At rest a nice steady temperature year round. Not sure what temp requires cold start activation

Is that heat conduction from the belly of the boat, that is what heats my engine compartment. At rest a nice steady temperature year round. Not sure what temp requires cold start activation

I have a thermostat controlled engine room heater.

Read my post about how to use the cold start buttons.

Thanks for all the good feedback. I’ll probably end up keeping the engine room at 50 and do the cold starts as advised. Happy New Year everybody.

At 50 degrees your Lehmans will start instantly. No special procedure required.

Ken

I have a 120 and the only thing I can think of is maybe starter fluid primer (run off selenoid?)

On cold days, engine below 40, I’ll hit it with a spray of ether from a can and starts right up. A little goes a long way, so just a small start. (Only days that the heater dropped or it got cold unexpectedly)

I know Some diesel tractors have a button like that for the ether.

Maybe?

An excellent mechanic whom I trust saw a can of ether in my engine room.

He said "I see you have some 'rebuild in a can!' ".

I said that won't rebuild my engine!?

His response was "No, I do after you use it."

Use ether sparingly and only when absolutely necessary. My method is to have someone else crank the starter while I spray the air near the intake with as short a burst as I can. I don't spray directly into the intake.

Go to the injector pump and have somebody press the button after pushing the throttle to 3/4. You might just hear a click and/por see something move like on the FL 120.

Yes. I have heard that too. Like I said, if there’s a cold snap and I need to get her started, and don’t have 3 hours for heater to work, ether, quick 1 second burst in air intake does the job.

I understand the concerns, but don’t think tractor companies would install the systems if that were the case. I actually bought John Deere ether, lol.

Also, I have a dinosaur diesel, not an electronic turbo charged fairy, lol.

When I was a young man, my dad was having some excavation work done by a guy with a D9 Cat dozer. Northwest Connecicut gets down to below zero more than several times each winter. Anyway, one cold morning this guy used ether to start his engine and promptly blew the head right off.
Yes. I have heard that too. Like I said, if there’s a cold snap and I need to get her started, and don’t have 3 hours for heater to work, ether, quick 1 second burst in air intake does the job.

I understand the concerns, but don’t think tractor companies would install the systems if that were the case. I actually bought John Deere ether, lol.

Also, I have a dinosaur diesel, not an electronic turbo charged fairy, lol.

Wow. Always heard stories, never knew someone who witnessed it. If you had video, that would go viral, lol. Must have looked and sounded catastrophic.

Still, may speak to how much you use I suppose. Figured it would take near TNT levels of energy to blow a diesel head off.

I’ll still use it when I need to.

That incident occurred about 50 years ago, no video back then. I also do not know and neither did my dad how much juice that guy used. As I said, it gets damn cold in Northwest Connecticut so perhaps he used a lot. More is better until it's not. It works for you but you are apparently very judicious.

Wow. Always heard stories, never knew someone who witnessed it. If you had video, that would go viral, lol. Must have looked and sounded catastrophic.

Still, may speak to how much you use I suppose. Figured it would take near TNT levels of energy to blow a diesel head off.

I’ll still use it when I need to.

The diesel rules of thumb I was taught was use diesel specific starting fluid or WD40.

If using regular ether, spray on a rag and let the fumes be sucked in as any liquid sucked in had bad effects on several levels (like a bad injector).

Don't ever do it except in an emergency...if you can't get it started....it's for a reason that needs to be corrected (unless in really severe conditions) which still warrant an emergency.

“If using regular ether, spray on a rag

Don't ever do it except in an emergency...if you can't get it started”

Good points. You made me think “why the hell do I even have starting Fluid?”

I started carrying it after I had an auxiliary fuel prime pump fail and cause fuel starvation on my Lehman. (installed by previous owner and removed during fix)

Symptoms were:
- it would run for 10 min
- then start to RPM hunt.
- then die.

Was on a trip to Nantucket and it took me a few tries to diagnose the issue. (I did most of my diagnosing from the fuel pump back to the primary filter first, not before the primary.). In the end, iI just removed the unnecessary fuel prime pump that was plumbed into fuel line prior to primary filter.

That being said, I have to series 31 AGM that get replaced automatically every 3 years and after the 30-45 minutes of diagnosing and cranking, batteries were starting to “suck wind”.

A can of diesel starter fluid can make the difference between starting and getting in to shore versus a tow (or worse)

Even if you don’t agree on using it for cold starts, having a can is a good thing for emergencies. (Then like me, you will abuse it, lmao)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom