Detroit 6V92 owners - alternator setup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rogerh

Guru
Vessel Name
At Last
Vessel Make
1990 Jefferson 52 Marquessa
A while back I replaced my belt on my alternator on my 1990 6V92 550 hp DDs. I found that the way the alternators were installed it is extreemly difficult to change and the adjustment does not really have enough room to get the belt tight. It hits the engine mount before the belt is really tight. I tried a smaller size belt and cant get it on because of being too small. These are Johnson Towers DDs. The belt cover is almost impossible to remove because they mounted the oil filter to a angle steel across the front of the engine blocking the belt cover. Do any of you have this problem? If so how did you deal with it? I would hate to try to change a belt at sea with the arrangement I have. Any photos of alternate arrangements would be great. I would like to change this to more user freindly. :)
Thanks for you inputs!

Lots of 6v92 owners on the Hatteras Owner's Forum and BoatDiesel.com if you don't get an answer here. Sounds like you have an unusual installation.

Thanks George,
Yes Johnson Towers was very good at making getting to the oil filter very easily. Unfortunately it left servicing the belts a real PIA...... I have put the same question out on Boat Diesel and can try on the Hat board as well.
Have a good one!

I've got the same engines in my blackfin. No safe way to replace a belt underway. ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1400243727.746370.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1400243754.388062.jpgImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1400243770.533571.jpg
Port side starter is also a problem. All boats are a compromise.

Via iPhone.

Yes, your photos are exactly what I have. I am thinking about cutting the bottom of the cover off and possibly put a bracket to the angle steel that holds the oil filter. And you also have the same situation on the alternator so close to the engine mount. Not to sure what I can do about that.... I probably have about a 1/2 inch between the edge of the pulley and the bolt...

Back
Top Bottom