Detroit 6V92 different alternator options

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rogerh

Guru
Vessel Name
At Last
Vessel Make
1990 Jefferson 52 Marquessa
Have any of you that have 6V92 TAB changed from the stock alternators to something different? Maybe smaller in physical size? I have one that needs to be rebuilt and thought of possibly replacing with a smaller size alternator with same or more output with the same hole pattern. With the existing alternator there is never enough room to tighten the belt properly. Smaller belt will not go on. Those that have them know what I am talking about.

Just bringing this up again in case someone didn't see it that might have an idea. Thanks

Consider buying the tools to take the nut and pulley off the shaft, that would make it easier to put on belts. Also a good set of belts should last dang near forever as alt is (most are) driven by left bank camshaft and very little torsional vibes there. And a belt failure has little consequences on your boat as everything but the alt are gear driven and you have other sources of dc power.

If you want to change alts, it is likely a Delco brushless alt and there are many more modern alts available with the same frame mounting. It has a model like "XXSI". Note that the Delco brushless while big is extremely reliable since does not have brushes to wear.

Last edited:
Great idea. So what do I need to pull the nut and get it back on. Impact air gun wrench? What do I need to hold the shaft from turning? Are you referring to the pulley on the alternator or the pulley on the engine? Thanks

An impact is best on the nut. Should be a hex in shaft, but unless nut has been off recently, the hex will likely not get it, and can't fit hex and use socket at the same time. Alt shops zip the nut off with an impact.

Back
Top Bottom