Old 11-07-2010, 05:32 AM   #21
FF
Guru

Depth Sounders

Its not the max Depth that can be recorded that is useful.

Its the depth on a* paper CHART strip, with time notations that allow the chart to be used for "Contour Navigation.

300 ft of depth would be fine as a max , so when you see the shelf come up to 100? ft, you get a LOP.

Depth sounder to keep from running aground?
Perhaps a forward looking one, but thats Iffy.

A paper chart and a GPS (while GPS is operational) or in a shallow spot a 15 ft 1 1/2 inch pole with painted markings works better than any bronze hole in the bottom!

-- Edited by FF on Sunday 7th of November 2010 06:34:28 AM

FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 06:22 AM   #22
Scraping Paint

City: Fort Lauderdale
Vessel Model: CHB 48 Zodiac YL 4.2
RE: Depth Sounders

Quote:
FF wrote:a 15 ft 1 1/2 inch pole with painted markings works better than any bronze hole in the bottom!
Yeah, keep it right next to the astrolabe and the tallow for the leadline.

RickB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 02:05 PM   #23
TF Site Team

City: Home Port: Buck's Harbor, Maine
Vessel Name: "Emily Anne"
Vessel Model: 2001 Island Gypsy 32 Europa (Hull #146)
Depth Sounders

Quote:
RickB wrote:

Yeah, keep it right next to the astrolabe and the tallow for the leadline.

ROTFL

Reminds me of that story about the old Maine schoonerman who was constantly bragging about how he could tell, when in soundings anywhere on the coast, exactly where he was in a fog by tasting the material stuck in the leadline tallow.

And he was pretty good at it.

His crew tried to trick him one day as they were coming down home in a peasouper by "salting" the tallow with some dry land dirt.

Well, the old salt tasted it, thought about it a minute and shouted: "By the jahysus, we're right dab in the middle of the Widow Gray's herb gahden and we better come about right smahtly".

-- Edited by dwhatty on Sunday 7th of November 2010 03:35:31 PM
dwhatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 06:23 PM   #24
Scraping Paint

Quote:
dwhatty wrote:
"By the jahysus, we're right dab in the middle of the Widow Gray's herb gahden and we better come about right smahtly".
Lard tunderin' jahysus garge, dat war a goodun!*

Old 11-08-2010, 04:02 AM   #25
FF
Guru

When one finally does "take the Bottom", 20 brass holes in the boat wont telly you which way the deeper water is , which way is out , which direction to lay out the anchor to get off.

A pole will , I guess some folks would rather pound a few hours , waiting for Sea Tow , than simply get off.

As an ex yard guy , be my guest , shafts , props, struts and rudder flown in by the insurance co. used to Make our $ummers.
Old 11-09-2010, 06:55 AM   #26
Guru

City: Missourah
Vessel Name: M/V Scout
Vessel Model: Sundowner Tug 30'

Hand held depth sounder is my choice. More convenient than a pole.
Attached Images

Anode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 10:10 AM   #27
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: "Sandpiper"
Vessel Model: 2006 42' Ocean Alexander Sedan

Quote:
FF wrote
A pole will , I guess some folks would rather pound a few hours , waiting for Sea Tow , than simply get off.
Fred:*

I certainly understand the "wisdom" from which you speak but for the life of
me, having my wife on the bow yelling "Mark Twain" just isn't in the cards.

Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 09:19 PM   #28
Guru

Vessel Name: Anastasia III
Vessel Model: Krogen 42

Quote:
Anode wrote:

Hand held depth sounder is my choice. More convenient than a pole.
As long as you don't fall overboard trying to use it! Don't they make one*that hangs from a cable? The handheld seemed good for the*dink, but dangerous to use from the swim deck of the big boat. *
Keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 09:35 PM   #29
Guru

City: Missourah
Vessel Name: M/V Scout
Vessel Model: Sundowner Tug 30'

Yes. The handheld is for the dink.
Anode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 09:58 PM   #30
Scraping Paint

City: -
Depth Sounders

Quote:
SeaHorse II wrote:...having my wife on the bow yelling "Mark Twain" just isn't in the cards.
If she's yelling "mark twain" you're okay.* With your boat I would think you'd want to start worrying when she started yelling "three quarter*mark."

-- Edited by Marin on Tuesday 9th of November 2010 10:58:39 PM
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 04:06 AM   #31
FF
Guru

having my wife on the bow yelling "Mark Twain" just isn't in the cards.

Well someone will be needing accurate info when forward progress is STOPPED.
Old 11-10-2010, 04:53 AM   #32
Scraping Paint

Depth Sounders

Quote:
FF wrote:Well someone will be needing accurate info when forward progress is STOPPED.
That's easy, there's a formula for that and it applies to all kinds of boats:

Dw =< Db

When forward progress is stopped due to grounding, the Depth of water is equal to or less than Draft of boat.

-- Edited by RickB on Wednesday 10th of November 2010 05:53:42 AM
Old 11-11-2010, 04:27 AM   #33
FF
Guru

In ICW motoring thru Georgia , we noticed an interesting result.

On out 90/90 the prop is a 19x13 , 2 blade , with "power boat " blades , rather than the thin "sailor" blades.

It is a cruising prop , so we can only turn 2100-2200 at flank (not 2500), but since wecruise ar 1600 to 1800 there is no problem.

Like every prop out Speed of Advance is calculated as part of the prop selection.

In tidal GA when just a bit out of the last channel (created by a barge "pushing mud" ) we go thru very sofy mud.

Its not enough to noticibly slow the boat , but we can hear the prop cavitating from the slower SOA.

Not every contact with the bottom is exciting , we just try to guess where the channel is and head that way.
Old 03-22-2011, 08:15 PM   #34
Guru

City: Calgary
Vessel Name: Blue Sky
Vessel Model: Nordic Tugs 42 Hull #001

We have been suffering through a poorly installed transducer experience for the last two summers. The outcome has been maximum depth readings of 400' and no fish finding whatsoever. We will be upgrading shortly to a proper through hull tranducer and perhaps a new DS. The point here though is the tranducer. With the through hull, we expect to have much greater depths showing , but more importantly a much cleaner and more accurate reading of the bottom. *Fish finding should also significantly improve, but that will only be for the delight of guests, as I am not a fisherman. My point is that the through hull will markedly improve the performance of the DS. (We are going from a transom style transducer siliconed to the inside of the hull to a through hull bronze transducer.)

I will agree that for most of the cruising we do (West coast of BC) any depths of more than 400' are not an issue, but I like to have the DS going all of the time, and when it goes into Charlie Sheen mode it can be annoying.
Conrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 10:53 AM   #35
TF Site Team

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Model: Carver 356

Furuno sells a Sonar that can see in all directions. But it isn't cheap!! And I would imagine it to be much like radar(it is actually exactly like radar in theory) in that it would take a lot of practice to get good at using it. But it's main purpose is finding fish in deep water...
Baker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 11:14 AM   #36
Guru

City: Somewhere
Vessel Name: Island Pride
Vessel Model: Palmer sedan 32'

Before putting more holes in the boat why not try remounting the current T.D. if it still is working
Maybe the problem is a poor bedding, either air bubbles or too thick a silicone layer or both.
A poor mounting can degrade the signal. I realize it may still not be what you want but I have an aversion to more holes in the hull and may be worth a try before
providing more water entries.
C lectric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 01:11 PM   #37
Guru

Quote:
Baker wrote:
Furuno sells a Sonar that can see in all directions. But it isn't cheap!! And I would imagine it to be much like radar(it is actually exactly like radar in theory) in that it would take a lot of practice to get good at using it. But it's main purpose is finding fish in deep water...
*The Navico family (Lowrance & Simrad) have come out with their Structurescan which looks very promising as it appears to give a great representation of the bottom all around you. Humminbird has something similar.*

How useful these are in the real world I don't know, but as a way of exploring the bottoms of bays and inlets without getting wet there might be a certain appeal. I'd still want a traditional DS for proper navigation though. Of course traditional is open to interpretation.

Old 03-24-2011, 01:14 PM   #38
Guru

Quote:
C lectric wrote:
Before putting more holes in the boat why not try remounting the current T.D. if it still is working Maybe the problem is a poor bedding, either air bubbles or too thick a silicone layer or both. A poor mounting can degrade the signal. I realize it may still not be what you want but I have an aversion to more holes in the hull and may be worth a try before providing more water entries.
*We've played with the mounting but we are cursed and blessed with a thick hull (and maybe skull) that confounds our efforts, so are biting the bullet. I agree with your thoughts though; this will be the first time we've had a through hull transducer.

Old 03-24-2011, 04:33 PM   #39

City: Wilmington, N.C.
Vessel Name: Donnchaidh
Vessel Model: Marine Trader 40' sedan

** I installed one on my 1977 Marine Trader. I bedded it in epoxy and it works just fine.
awpptdt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 05:19 AM   #40
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Lotus
Vessel Model: Clipper (CHB) 34 Sedan/Europa style
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B
Depth Sounders

You can bed them in Sikaflex and it works as well, and is a bit more forgiving of surface and removable later if necessary. Once something is embedded in epoxy it's there forever - which can be a good thing, but not always.... Actually, I placed the transducer of the Lowrance GPS/Sonar combi I installed 7 ys ago in the for'd bilge as a temporary thing, just screwing the mount to a stringer and placed well wide of the thick keel, and it has worked so well there, just sitting in the puddle of water in that part of the bilge, I never got round to moving it to more permanent place, it works so well.... I also have an older Seafarer type which has its transducer in a mineral oil-filled tube, as back-up at the main helm, and an monochrome Lowrance XC70, depth only, which has a true through-hull, at the flybridge helm, and they all read fine and agree with each other, and can be run together as they are each using different frequencies, but I really don't want any more holes in the hull.

What I'd like to do now, as the Lowrance XC70 up top has bad screen drop-out with age, is put in another Lowrance colour depth sounder, (possibly a combo GPS also), up on the flybridge, and I'd love to be able to use that same through-hull transducer, which uses the same frequency as the XC70, and all the wiring from the flybridge right down to the thru-hull already there, but they tell me I can't. Does anyone out there know why not? Isn't it the main sender unit in the head that does the work, with the transducer just passing the pulse sent by the sender above, and receiving the rebound pulse. Surely the electrics in the transducer and wire connecting would be essentially the same, with a change of plug connection into the head unit being the thing which would need changing? Am I wrong in suspecting it is just a ploy to sell more equipment, rather than truly necessary, why newer models are made so they cannot use a pre-existing transducer from the same manufacturer and designed to send the same frequency...?

-- Edited by Peter B on Friday 25th of March 2011 05:22:16 AM

Peter B is offline   Reply With Quote