Depth finder problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Donna

Guru
Vessel Name
Southerly
Vessel Make
1986 Marine Trader 36' Sundeck
The depth finder on the bridge is not working, however, it is working in the helm. Are the two separate or connected? 1986 36' Marine Trader Sundeck.

I have tried following the line down to the helm without success. I should mention that I recently had a diver down to clean up the bottom. I will be doing that every 6 weeks.

Hi Donna, we probably need a bit more information to help diagnose that problem.

Start with the brand and model of depth sounder. The other thing is do they have separate transducers or are they networked units?

When you say the sounder on the bridge is not working, is it not showing depth or not getting power at all?

Brett

Pictures of the displays would help to identify what you have.

Ted

If both depth finders share the same transducer there is probably a switch that would select which sounder is going to receive the signal. Look under the helm on the bridge.

I ran into this on my CHB. There is a knob on my above dash that allows one to switch from one to the other using a common transducer. But you can only get proper readings using one, not both units. Took a while to figure this out because the knob had no markings until I looked very closely and could see where the PO had scrawled into the teak dash the words Upper-Lower-Off. Once I figured this out then I just switch to the unit I want to work. Without seeing what you have, look for a knob that you are not sure of its purpose.

You could check the bilge to see if you have 1 or 2 transducers. Maybe your diver remembers, or took took "before and after" pics, or can check next time.
Despite a manufacturer saying "yes you can" to the question "can I run 2 units using one transducer",you can`t always. Avoiding another hole in the bottom the second unit shoots from the inside through the hull,via the transom mount transducer often included. Rant over. So look for both types of transducer install.

I was curious why you are having a diver clean the bottom so often. Did you not paint the bottom when you bought the boat?

I hate to admit this! I had a problem with my depth sounder/fish finder...even went as far as taking a photo of the transducers in the engine room so I could research a possible problem. Finally looked behind the lower helm chart plotter and found a wire and plug dangling in plain sight! Plugged it into the back of the plotter and haven't had a problem since...

I was curious why you are having a diver clean the bottom so often. Did you not paint the bottom when you bought the boat?

Umm, I thought you were supposed to have it done once a month? Her bottom paint is in good condition and survey said...........wait till spring to bottom paint. I figured I'd have her painted in Jan. How often should I have her cleaned?

2 separate transducers. I'm not at the boat today. A gal's gotta work sometimes. LOL! I'll be back on her tomorrow. Wish I could post pics but can't figure that out!

Umm, I thought you were supposed to have it done once a month? Her bottom paint is in good condition and survey said...........wait till spring to bottom paint. I figured I'd have her painted in Jan. How often should I have her cleaned?

It should only be cleaned as necessary. An honest diver should be able to tell you how often that is.

2 separate transducers. I'm not at the boat today. A gal's gotta work sometimes. LOL! I'll be back on her tomorrow. Wish I could post pics but can't figure that out!

The first thing is to make sure there is power going to the unit.

First, make sure the other unit is OFF.
Is the unit powering up?
Are the connections on the back properly connected?
If yes, are the controls set correctly?
If yes, You should be able to hear the transducer clicking. Sometimes you can feel the pulses by touch. If not, use a long screwdriver as a sounding rod. Put the blade tip on the transducer housing and hold your ear against the handle. Don't have one? Someone on the dock will.

78puget is PNW and doesn't know Florida waters and bottom cleaning. In South Florida we clean every 4 weeks in winter and 3 weeks in summer. You'll have to work with your diver to know what is needed in Palm Coast. I'm thinking it's likely 4 weeks to a maximum of 6.

If cleaned frequently, there should never be any true scrubbing required, just gentle cleaning. Cleaning regularly definitely extends the life of bottom paint, especially hard. Also, cleaning of all running gear and checking all anodes. A good, trustworthy, dependable diver is very valuable. Have your diver take some photos for you so you know what it looks like. Also, get a camera and mount it on a rod so you can look at the bottom anytime you want.

As to bottom paint, you'll have to feel out the right frequency there too for your boat and your location, as well as decide on the paint to use.

True, being in the NW I guess things are different, but cleaning this often? Whats the reason for it? You guys use the same paint we do right? Usually at least around here even if there is some growth it washes off pretty quickly if the boat is taken off the dock. CaptBill is in FL also and says only when neccessary. Seems like divers should all move to FL and make real money! Cleaning bottoms around here is a rarity, we do zincs of course to save on haulouts and if a boat has been sitting for some time then sure, but as a regularly scheduled thing. No way.

True, being in the NW I guess things are different, but cleaning this often? Whats the reason for it? You guys use the same paint we do right? Usually at least around here even if there is some growth it washes off pretty quickly if the boat is taken off the dock. CaptBill is in FL also and says only when neccessary. Seems like divers should all move to FL and make real money! Cleaning bottoms around here is a rarity, we do zincs of course to save on haulouts and if a boat has been sitting for some time then sure, but as a regularly scheduled thing. No way.

Capt Bill says only when necessary, but ask him what is necessary in South Florida. We get that level of growth. Now we admit to erring on the side of too frequently, because we want them to never have to scrape. We want it all to fairly easily wipe off and leave the finish as it was. As a result, we get more time between bottom painting than others in the area.

Yes, divers should move to Florida but then a large percentage of them already live here and it's very competitive.

I lived on a lake in NC that was bad for growth. Wish I'd known about divers then and there had been one there cleaning boats. I heard of one before we left, but never saw anything about them. There was a high chemical content in the lake. Outdrives on outboards and I/O's really showed it. We got out boat taken out of the water and cleaned at least 3 or 4 times a year.

So heavy growth is the problem then or are barnacles and mussels also a problem? With glass boats you don't need to worry about worms at least. Is the warmer water also a problem with blisters or any gel coat defects, like causing de lam at all? Just ignorance on my part I guess never having spent much time in southern waters other than some coastal towing to San Diego and back.

Actually some tube worms attach to glass boats and can have significant buildup like barnacles here in NJ.

This is a classic thread where one size never seems to fit all TFers.....bottom paint, diver cleaning, days underway per month to help keep bottom clean, etc....etc...

The depth finder on the bridge is not working, however, it is working in the helm. Are the two separate or connected? 1986 36' Marine Trader Sundeck.

I have tried following the line down to the helm without success. I should mention that I recently had a diver down to clean up the bottom. I will be doing that every 6 weeks.

I have the same problem except that it's the SOG. The lower helm is fine but the new fly bridge display is showing all except SOG. It's a Furuno instrument package on a network c/w wind etc. and again all works fine except the SOG in the upper helm ..... :ermm: FB

Actually some tube worms attach to glass boats and can have significant buildup like barnacles here in NJ.

This is a classic thread where one size never seems to fit all TFers.....bottom paint, diver cleaning, days underway per month to help keep bottom clean, etc....etc...
geography man..

So heavy growth is the problem then or are barnacles and mussels also a problem? With glass boats you don't need to worry about worms at least. Is the warmer water also a problem with blisters or any gel coat defects, like causing de lam at all? Just ignorance on my part I guess never having spent much time in southern waters other than some coastal towing to San Diego and back.

Algae and barnacles. As to blisters and gel coat defects, you used the key word, "defects." Then you refer to de-lamination. Well, warmer water isn't going to cause any of that and I doubt it even accelerates it. Very cold water, especially frozen, does often cause issues.

It's not just the warmth of the water that leads to growth. It's the natural habitat and chemistry of the water too. Although not in the tropics, we do have a tropical climate. San Diego is much further north than we are. Miami is at 25.7 degrees and San Diego is at 32.7 degrees latitude.

LOL. Hard for me to think of SD as "much" further north of anything, as its the southernmost US port on the Left coast. That's only some 400 miles difference from Miami, not very far, in the overall scheme of things.

I believe my boat sitting in a warm, south Florida canal for 25 years (with lousy bottom paint and novice divers keeping it clean..... one only knows how they did it) and possibly factory layup issues gave my boat a severe case of hydrolization.

Science backs up the warm water theory...not sure how to explain the rest absolutely.

LOL. Hard for me to think of SD as "much" further north of anything, as its the southernmost US port on the Left coast. That's only some 400 miles difference from Miami, not very far, in the overall scheme of things.

Miami is a longer distance south of San Diego than San Francisco is north of San Diego. I consider that difference pretty significant.

Matter of perspective I guess, less than a good days drive by car. I do see however that the temp of the water is about 10-20 degrees or so warmer in FL, so that would make a difference. Its amazing to me to see how warm the southern waters are compared to our local waters that barely break 50 F, even in the summer!

...the coriolis effect in the northern hemisphere; a clockwise rotation of the oceans.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom