Old 10-18-2016, 06:46 PM   #21
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by 78puget-trawler View Post
So heavy growth is the problem then or are barnacles and mussels also a problem? With glass boats you don't need to worry about worms at least. Is the warmer water also a problem with blisters or any gel coat defects, like causing de lam at all? Just ignorance on my part I guess never having spent much time in southern waters other than some coastal towing to San Diego and back.
Algae and barnacles. As to blisters and gel coat defects, you used the key word, "defects." Then you refer to de-lamination. Well, warmer water isn't going to cause any of that and I doubt it even accelerates it. Very cold water, especially frozen, does often cause issues.

It's not just the warmth of the water that leads to growth. It's the natural habitat and chemistry of the water too. Although not in the tropics, we do have a tropical climate. San Diego is much further north than we are. Miami is at 25.7 degrees and San Diego is at 32.7 degrees latitude.

BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 06:58 PM   #22
Guru

City: LaConner
Vessel Model: 34' CHB
LOL. Hard for me to think of SD as "much" further north of anything, as its the southernmost US port on the Left coast. That's only some 400 miles difference from Miami, not very far, in the overall scheme of things.

78puget-trawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 07:10 PM   #23
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
I believe my boat sitting in a warm, south Florida canal for 25 years (with lousy bottom paint and novice divers keeping it clean..... one only knows how they did it) and possibly factory layup issues gave my boat a severe case of hydrolization.

Science backs up the warm water theory...not sure how to explain the rest absolutely.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 10:08 PM   #24
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by 78puget-trawler View Post
LOL. Hard for me to think of SD as "much" further north of anything, as its the southernmost US port on the Left coast. That's only some 400 miles difference from Miami, not very far, in the overall scheme of things.
Miami is a longer distance south of San Diego than San Francisco is north of San Diego. I consider that difference pretty significant.
BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 10:24 PM   #25
Guru

City: LaConner
Vessel Model: 34' CHB
Matter of perspective I guess, less than a good days drive by car. I do see however that the temp of the water is about 10-20 degrees or so warmer in FL, so that would make a difference. Its amazing to me to see how warm the southern waters are compared to our local waters that barely break 50 F, even in the summer!
78puget-trawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 12:15 AM   #26
Guru

City: Vallejo, California
Vessel Name: Mahalo Moi
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 42 Classic
...the coriolis effect in the northern hemisphere; a clockwise rotation of the oceans.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑβΕ
Giggitoni is offline   Reply With Quote