Old 04-10-2017, 08:24 AM   #1
Guru

City: Seattle
Dedicated inverter for refrigerator

Does anyone see the merit of hardwiring a small dedicated inverter to the fridge, so that it is not affected by houseloads that may be max'ing out the regular house inverter?

Also, wouldn't a large inverter running at low loads (like 15%) be running at low efficiency levels?
Mako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 10:19 AM   #2
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
You can do that if you want to.

My choice is a 12/120 volt AC/DC refrigerator that senses the incoming voltage and switches back and forth automatically. No inverter needed.

Remember that an inverter powering a refrigerator will have to run 24/7 and there's a standby current drawn by the inverter even when the refrigerator compressor is not running.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 10:58 AM   #3

City: Toronto
What Wes said .......
and I believe there would be some loses in conversion from 12VDC to 120VAC .... FB
Ex Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 11:41 AM   #4
Guru

City: Windsor
Vessel Name: Keeper IV
Vessel Model: 44 Viking ACMY
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex Sailor View Post
What Wes said .......
and I believe there would be some loses in conversion from 12VDC to 120VAC .... FB
I suspect the OP has an existing 120 vac refrigerator other wise he wouldn't be asking the question.
mbevins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 11:48 AM   #5
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48 (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex Sailor View Post
What Wes said .......
Not necessarily. With our 12/120 V unit we frequently turn off the inverter at night when anchored to save total power and run the fridge on 12 V only.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 11:56 AM   #6
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunchaser View Post
Not necessarily. With our 12/120 V unit we frequently turn off the inverter at night when anchored to save total power and run the fridge on 12 V only.
If you have a 12/120 volt refrigerator, why would it not be running on 12 volts DC whenever you're away from shore power? Why would you have to switch it manually?
Old 04-10-2017, 11:57 AM   #7
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbevins View Post
I suspect the OP has an existing 120 vac refrigerator other wise he wouldn't be asking the question.
Possibly, but it would have been simpler if he stated that in his original post.
Old 04-10-2017, 12:07 PM   #8
TF Site Team

City: Seneca Lake NY
Vessel Name: Bacchus
Vessel Model: MS 34 HT Trawler
I thought most / all? 12V/120V fridges actually run on 12V and 120V is reduced via transformer/rectifier to provide 12V DC to run the compressor.
If that's true??? Inverter to provide 120V just adds another conversion and loss... Doesn't make sense...Unless it ONLY a household 120V only?
Bacchus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 12:15 PM   #9
Guru

City: Miami
Depends on the fridge. Running a 60 cycle unit on 50 cycle or vice versa an inverter has merit. Also bigger inverters are more efficient so you might consider running all ac appliances through a larger inverter and charging with dual frequency chargers. Your choice of appliances are going to dictate your electrical needs. Doha is 50hz no?
Old 04-10-2017, 04:12 PM   #10
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in the Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
I would go dedicated sine wave inverter. Generally a lower standby power loss than the big inverter, a backup if one fails, and certainly important enough to have its own dedicated power supply.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 05:50 PM   #11

City: SOBX North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacchus View Post
I thought most / all? 12V/120V fridges actually run on 12V and 120V is reduced via transformer/rectifier to provide 12V DC to run the compressor.
If that's true??? Inverter to provide 120V just adds another conversion and loss... Doesn't make sense...Unless it ONLY a household 120V only?
My new Isotherm has two separate wiring harnesses for the ac and dc current. But both go into the power supply unit.
Scratchnsaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 07:32 PM   #12
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: Circuit Breaker
Vessel Model: 2021..22' Duffy Cuddy cabin
A very good friend of mine leaves his Xantrex in the inverter mode all the time. He says that it is not inverting when the boat is on shore power or his generator is running. When he leaves the slip the inverter starts its inverting program automatically. (generator not running.) Is he correct?
Old 04-10-2017, 07:47 PM   #13
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Codger2 View Post
A very good friend of mine leaves his Xantrex in the inverter mode all the time. He says that it is not inverting when the boat is on shore power or his generator is running. When he leaves the slip the inverter starts its inverting program automatically. (generator not running.) Is he correct?
He could be if his inverter has a built in transfer switch. Still his inverter is drawing a small amount of power. No big deal when underway but it's a drain if he is anchored with the engine off.

In my case, the inverter only powers the 120 volt receptacles including the microwave and coffee pot so I leave it off unless I want to use those appliances. I will also leave it on to charge my laptop.
Old 04-10-2017, 08:42 PM   #14
Guru

City: Salvador - BA
Vessel Name: Rainha Jannota
Vessel Model: Curruira 46
Hi Guys

I have a 3000 W inverter to run a domestic 110V fridge and a domestic 110V freezer. Two separate units. The boat reports so far 475 hours and I had zero problems with all the equipment involved. After 3 years there is no rust in the cooling units and the Xantrex runs like a baby. Battery consumption? until now I never had to start the genset to charge batteries. Apart from that, I have two 135 W solar panels and lots of sunlight.

I will never think about switching to 12V equipment
Old 04-10-2017, 09:16 PM   #15

City: Gustavia
Vessel Name: Soler Fox
Vessel Model: Selene 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by makobuilders View Post
Does anyone see the merit of hardwiring a small dedicated inverter to the fridge, so that it is not affected by houseloads that may be max'ing out the regular house inverter?

Also, wouldn't a large inverter running at low loads (like 15%) be running at low efficiency levels?
Yes we made this choice.
we living onboard full time never at dock all AC was on one big inverter and when we switch to generator to inverter all time we get a short power cut.
electronic fridge don't like that and made some bug and TV and CD player stop all time.
so we decided to instal 1000Watt inverter only for fridge TV and CD player also when we on generator.
101TUG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 10:12 PM   #16
TF Site Team/Forum Founder

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Name: Floatsome & Jetsome
Vessel Model: Meridian 411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacchus View Post
That is a true statement. a 12v/120v fridge is slightly more efficient when running on 12 volt only for this reason.
Meridian 411...T-Cummins 450C
Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 02:22 AM   #17
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by O C Diver View Post
I would go dedicated sine wave inverter. Generally a lower standby power loss than the big inverter, a backup if one fails, and certainly important enough to have its own dedicated power supply.

Ted

Yes this is my thinking... as a redundant system for this important item and to minimize standby power loss. Refrig will be household as I have no interest in 12v or marine units. Unfortunately that's another big 1k chunk of change out the door.... so is the joy of owning a boat!
Old 04-11-2017, 05:54 AM   #18
FF
Guru

"That is a true statement. a 12v/120v fridge is slightly more efficient when running on 12 volt only for this reason."

Many of the newer 12V reefers are way more efficient as they slow the compressor to keep the cool, rather than cycle off and on a single speed compressor.

A 120V reefer is a lightly loaded AC current user , and will operate just fine on a cheapo inverter, sine wave is Required for Air Cond and heavy loads.

All inverters have a limited operating range in which they are most efficient.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 06:55 AM   #19
Guru

To add to what FF said, today we have digital inverter refrigerators which are super efficient as they ramp up motor speeds and vary them to required loads. That's why you can operate a 500watt refrig with a 500watt inverter... there is no "locked rotor" startup draw. Similar result when adding a VFD to a motor
Old 04-11-2017, 06:55 AM   #20
Guru

BTW, what is that limited range where inverters are most efficient? What % of rating?