Old 02-01-2016, 10:23 AM   #21
Guru

City: Gloucester, MA
Quote:
Originally Posted by THD View Post
I think you will end up reinventing the wheel when the wheel is easily currently available. We use two pieces of software, one for maintenance and the like, and one for log/cruising info. The first does pretty much what you outlined as well as having virtually every manual known to mankind online or available for download. Automatically provides reminders on all maintenance issues, automatically notifies of updates, maintenance bulletins etc. They even come in and do the original setup for you. Cost is not prohibitive. $699 startup including loading all info on all equipment on the boat, and then $199/year. I can print out a complete maintenance record since we owned the boat including when, where and by whom work was done and the cost. Nav and log software cost us $199.
Jay, what are the respective software packages that you use for this?

Old 02-01-2016, 02:52 PM   #22
THD
Guru

City: Seattle
Peter- We use VesselVanguard for all the maintenance stuff and CrystalShip for the log. For the cost, VV is great. Online access to all manuals alone makes it worthwhile to me.

THD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 03:17 PM   #23
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
The task of software development has tripled in many ways. It has to be Windows, Android, and iOS. Or you force the user to use Windows based tablets.

I actually resisted moving things to mobile, when mobile was a smartphone or something I carried than I might lay down and leave behind. I still do not use any of the bank apps on my phone. However, I've become very much one who says all systems, whether my boat, or stores, or managers or home must be accessible by tablet. So for me they all need an Android interface. For others, it's iOS.

Boat systems I find very much so. If you use a part in your ER and you can only remove it from inventory by going to a computer, the odds of you doing so 100% of the time is rather low. If you can touch the screen or scan it's code from the ER or wherever you are, then the odds increase greatly.

I think more and more with systems of the future you won't go to the ER or start any task without a tablet by your side.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 03:33 PM   #24
Guru

City: Melbourne, FL
B&B, that was why I suggested that he do it in Corona SDK, since once you're done in IOS, you're pretty much done in Android too. Now they have added Windows and even apple TV. So, your app could actually live on your big screen if you have Apple TV, with messages popping up when you least expect them...
stubones99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 07:51 PM   #25

City: Salt Spring Island
Vessel Name: Twilight
Vessel Model: Permaglass Sedan
My untrained eye enjoys the soft focus of ignorance here, so let me bliss out:

iPads are already listening for Wifi signals from your boat sensors, if we have a standardized WiFi sending circuit built into each sending unit, there's our hardware hub and spoke.

So the given iPad circuitry is what you have to work with; its huge installed base is the available nursery.

I'd love to be able to visit my boat and engine for perhaps 10 parameters, with alarms, from anywhere.

Could the eventual model for marine instrumentation be as simple as standardized WiFi sending units?
djones44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 08:01 PM   #26
Guru

City: Melbourne, FL
Yes, for $$$

There are quite a few yacht controller systems that let you remote into your boat to check on them. But they are expensive.

There is a box on the horizon that will bridge multiple standards and allow wifi or internet access. Check out SignalK.org for more info.

To start with, you need sensors, and commercially, maretron has the commercial grade sensors to equip a boat with all sorts of additional data collection systems such as fuel flow, water flow, water temp, engine temp, oil pressure, exhaust temp, engine room temp, etc.

There are probably many more but that's what comes to my mind...

Stu
stubones99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 10:41 PM   #27

City: Salt Spring Island
Vessel Name: Twilight
Vessel Model: Permaglass Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by stubones99 View Post
To start with, you need sensors, and commercially, maretron has the commercial grade sensors to equip a boat with all sorts of additional data collection systems such as fuel flow, water flow, water temp, engine temp, oil pressure, exhaust temp, engine room temp, etc.

Stu
Looks to me like a pricey proprietary landscape that the hub/box has to resolve in an ad hoc manner. OK for big bucks yachts and commercial, I suppose.

I was thinking more of a standard WiFi sender design that was cheap and only needed an iPad/App as its receiver. Maybe the Ryan device simplified further?

djones44 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
application, program, software, system