Current state of the industry for navigation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jimbo2015

Veteran Member
Been a few years since I bought navigation software (I used Nobletec), what the current latest and greatest stuff out there?

Or what do you folks use.

Or what do you folks use.
I use Raymarine E120s but I inherited those. If I were going new, I'd look closely at the Garmin products and the new Raymarine touch screen stuff. I played with the Raymarine products the other day and found them quite simple to use and the graphics are terrific! Most new electronic packages are really nice....some are more user friendly than others.

The current generation MFD units are top notch- you can't really go wrong with a complete suite from any of the big names (Raymarine, Garmn, Furuno, Simrad).

We have the current generation e-series from RM, and the system is fully integrated with the AIS receiver, autopilot, DSC, radar, iPad, and sounder. At one time I was of the mindset that I needed stand-alone units for redundancy- no more.

There is also the matching of software to your other electronics and to your boat and cruising plans and your navigation needs.

Just installed a new Raymarine suit with A127 and A95 displays and hydraulic autopilot. I expected it to work well but I did not expect it to be so easy to setup. The new systems uses a backbone communications design to interconnect all of the instruments and it also supplies power to the less energy intensive devices. The touch displays are great and easily visible in bright sunlight. I don't fish but I did opt for the fish finder that is built into the A127 display for $100 extra. It is very helpful when you are in shallow water because it shows the profile of the bottom. You just plug in the wires, turn it on and it works. Amazing

Dan Girvan
Gypsy Spirit
Albin 36

Take a look at MaxSea TimeZero

Our favorites are Furuno and MaxSea and for offshore we like Transas. However, that is not to imply that we wouldn't like Garmin or Raymarine if we'd used them as much as we have these. MaxSea doesn't get mentioned often but has some great features and is very moderately priced.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom