Old 05-11-2008, 09:48 AM   #1
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: "Sandpiper"
Vessel Model: 2006 42' Ocean Alexander Sedan
Cruise generators....

Can anyone point me toward a manufacturer of "Cruise Generators?"
I'm contemplating adding one to my Cummins 330B and know very little about them. Any user info would be appreciated. (eg) Are they worth it? maint free?
Rpm for full power output? Dealers? etc.

Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 04:11 AM   #2
FF
Guru

RE: Cruise generators....

With a 3000w inverter you should be fine with a large DC alternator.

You will probably get a single air cond to start/operate , usually the hugest load.

FF

FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 11:42 AM   #3

My brother has the 5kw seapower unit mounted on his boat. Its attached to a 135 Lehman and it is sweet. Runs refrigerator and a small mermaid airconditioning unit easily. But I believe they are out of buisness. Its a shame because this unit is nice, compact and can be easily installed by do it yourselfers.
LarryW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 05:51 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I have a 5.4kw Fischer-Panda that does the trick for me. Runs 12 btu and 7 btu AC units, small fridge, water heater, etc. Uses a Kabota engine, is compact, and runs pretty quiet.
AdamT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 03:36 AM   #5
FF
Guru

IF you are into BIG power , a coach (bus) alt is 300A at 24v, the Trace 4000W inverter is very reliable.

FF
Old 05-13-2008, 10:53 AM   #6
Guru

City: Somewhere
Vessel Name: Island Pride
Vessel Model: Palmer sedan 32'

I too, spent some time looking for cruise gens. for curiosity. No luck. I suspect the inverters and large alternators have knocked their market off.
The older designs demanded a particular engine speed for correct voltage and frequency. Some had variable pulleys to correct for engine speed but the engine still had to be run within a particular range of speed. The regulation of both types was not great so could not be used to run sensitive equipment.
The latest were the ones with a built in inverter. They actually used something like an alternator running into an inverter. The alternator procuces widely variable frequency depending on its shaft rpm. The inverter took that variable power and converted it to 120V at 60hz. Of course the cruise gen. works only when the engine runs. To close to what can be installed now with a large engine driven alternator, big battery bank and inverter and this setup can be used at anchor when the engine is off.

Try Jack Rabbit Marine if you wish. They have been around a long while and may still have some info to give you.
C lectric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 03:55 AM   #7
FF
Guru

The joy of a huge DC alt and inverter is the gen set can be another DC power unit.

Advantage is far less noise and fuel use as the DC noisemaker will run just at the speed needed to create the voltage and amps required , rather than run at a fixed speed .

A takeout from a reefer truck , Kubota or Yanmar , and a 300A coach alt is quick to assemble, cheap, (compared to store bought) and makes far cleaner AC than any gen head noisemaker.

Also has better overload start features , and of course the pass thru & boost setup helps at crummy docks.

FF
Old 05-14-2008, 04:20 AM   #8
FF
Guru

Excellent LN Trace SW4024 with Remote Panel
(currently installed & operating in my bus)
$1650 will include some 4-0 cabling
picked up at Douglasville GA, (30135) questions 14bama@bellsouth.net

From a bus board.
Old 06-22-2008, 03:53 AM   #9
pmh

I have a 5KW Sea Power unit on my 1983 42' Grand Banks and love it. Not only does it supply aux ac power when my generator is down, but it is a pleasure to have constant ac power when cruising, to run fridge, freezer, ice maker and space heater if needed. It can also handle air conditioning and is very clean power which is always acceptable to all my computer systems on board. By the way, this unit is a constant hertz, constant voltage at all rpm's. Lower RPM's yield less KW.

The original people involved with this product are based out of Texas and go bu the name Mobile Power. I guess there is more of a land market for these units.

I highly recomend this product and have found Bill Chambers to always be a gentlman in all dealings with his company.

Sea Power / Mobile Power
972-864-1015
Bill Chambers

Feel free to contact me with any questions: pmh@cableputer.com
pmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 07:35 AM   #10
Guru

City: Toms River
Vessel Name: D U E T T E
Vessel Model: 1996 36' Island Gypsy

Quote:
SeaHorse II wrote:

Can anyone point me toward a manufacturer of "Cruise Generators?"
I'm contemplating adding one to my Cummins 330B and know very little about them. Any user info would be appreciated. (eg) Are they worth it? maint free?
Rpm for full power output? Dealers? etc.
There is an Aura Gen 5kw on Eay Bay-**search marine generators to find it.* It is a new unit at 1600. or best offer. The listing has a* link to the manufactures web site.* JEP*

JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote